Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 49,164 times

Advertisements

Going blind looking at all the houses in the area. Seems they are all the same except for price and location. However, surely there is a difference in quality of construction and customer satisfaction. I would appreciate feedback from folks who have built or bought in the area so we can narrow our search. For instance, I have been told to avoid Carolina Bay due to poor construction and use of cheap materials.

Looking in the $250-300 K price range around the N Charleston to Summerville area, not really interested in coastal due to high insurance. Prefer new construction.

What builders should we avoid?

What builders would you recommend?

What communities have 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots?

Thanks for your input and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
So you're planning on building a home or wanting new construction?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:01 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
My personal favorite, and they are pretty new to the Charleston area, is Ashton Woods Homes. I owned an Ashton Woods, and it was a top notch built home. Carnes Crossroads in Goose Creek and Strawberry Station in Moncks Corner are both going to feature Ashton Woods Homes for around $300k and up.

Sabal Homes is another good option.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,885 times
Centex is crap. DR Horton is crap. That rules out a lot in N Chas and Summerville.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,859 times
I live in Crowfield (Goose Creek) and really enjoy it. I don't think all lots are created equal and each sub-section has a different feel. If I were to buy in Summerville, I really liked Ashborough. You really need to go into the neighborhoods and see how they feel. I was dead set against Crowfield, until I saw my house online and went into the sub-section of our neighborhood. I looked at tons of houses in Summerville and this house was the only house I looked at in Goose Creek. I have no regrets....other than our popcorn ceilings....

Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,264 times
Get in touch with Eastwood Homes, they're doing some fantastic homes in Swygert's Landing on John's Island, and out in Carnes Crossroads. I'm certain they have other projects in the works as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM

63 posts, read 151,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Centex is crap. DR Horton is crap. That rules out a lot in N Chas and Summerville.
If I may, lizardspock, I'm curious why you think DR Horton is crap. Do you have personal experience with them? We are coming down this weekend to look at houses and one on our list is a DR Horton house built in 1997. Wondering how well it is/will keep up. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltAMM View Post
If I may, lizardspock, I'm curious why you think DR Horton is crap. Do you have personal experience with them? We are coming down this weekend to look at houses and one on our list is a DR Horton house built in 1997. Wondering how well it is/will keep up. Thanks!
Not here but near Charlotte, NC....our house was built by DR Horton and I thought it has held up very well. It was built in 2004 and after 10 years...no problems at all.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So you're planning on building a home or wanting new construction?
Either or, not sure at this point. Prefer new as it appreas easier. However, we want our burger our way without too many restrictions. 😊. BTW, got your pm...working response. Thx

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I live in Crowfield (Goose Creek) and really enjoy it. I don't think all lots are created equal and each sub-section has a different feel. If I were to buy in Summerville, I really liked Ashborough. You really need to go into the neighborhoods and see how they feel. I was dead set against Crowfield, until I saw my house online and went into the sub-section of our neighborhood. I looked at tons of houses in Summerville and this house was the only house I looked at in Goose Creek. I have no regrets....other than our popcorn ceilings....
I'm not so sure about all lots being equal. However, I do agree with most of what you say and appreciate the help. It gives us some actual been there done that perspective and we will research Ashborough and Goose Creek.

Thank you!

Btw, not a fan of popcorn either lol, have it not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area