Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times

Advertisements

The Meeting Street corridor is going to look awesome when driving in on 26. On the WF slowdown, the dearth of construction workers that’s been in the news might be largely to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,956,479 times
https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/construction/73400/

It'll be interesting to see that area in the next few years.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 AM

16 posts, read 13,284 times
I think its going to be interesting when the economy slows.. who will have a chair when the music stops.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:15 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant_landlord View Post
I think its going to be interesting when the economy slows.. who will have a chair when the music stops.
Then downtown will be more affordable, which attracts more people, then becomes expensive again and more buildings get built, and the cycle continues.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then downtown will be more affordable, which attracts more people, then becomes expensive again and more buildings get built, and the cycle continues.
Maybe downtown will be the new York of the south... without the rude people

Old 11-29-2017, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 95,503 times
The thing I can't quite get a feel for is why developers continue to build student apartment buildings. I get that you can charge more per bed than per unit and that you're mostly targeting rich parents rather than people who earn a local salary, but for the most part the only people living in these buildings are CofC students and with the availability of existing housing in already established student apartment buildings as well as rental houses I don't see how there continues to be a market for student specific apartments.

On the plus side, adding any kind of dense housing stock is good and ideally more students will move into these kinds of student specific apartments freeing up rentals on the peninsula that would otherwise be rented by students.

However it is still very frustrating to see what's seems like most new apartment buildings downtown geared specifically toward students. It feels counter to the direction we are moving toward as a city.

Last edited by chs9000; 11-29-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Maybe downtown will be the new York of the south... without the rude people
A nice idea, but Downtown will never have buildings that tall, geography won't allow it with current methods, Mt. Pleasant might have some but it's not likely, West Ashley and North Charleston are the most likely, and maybe Summerville.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs9000 View Post
The thing I can't quite get a feel for is why developers continue to build student apartment buildings. I get that you can charge more per bed than per unit and that you're mostly targeting rich parents rather than people who earn a local salary, but for the most part the only people living in these buildings are CofC students and with the availability of existing housing in already established student apartment buildings as well as rental houses I don't see how there continues to be a market for student specific apartments.

On the plus side, adding any kind of dense housing stock is good and ideally more students will move into these kinds of student specific apartments freeing up rentals on the peninsula that would otherwise be rented by students.

However it is still very frustrating to see what's seems like most new apartment buildings downtown geared specifically toward students. It feels counter to the direction we are moving toward as a city.

This is a great post and I wonder the same thing. I was first disappointed to learn the recently completed Skygarden building was actually for student housing and then finding out the new development at 595 King St was going to be for student housing. There must be more money in it for the developers vs. regular apartments. I wonder too if developers are exempt from work-force unit set asides if the building is for student housing.

At least if the student housing thing doesn't work out or gets over built the buildings can always be converted to condos or regular apartments.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM

A few new flights to Chicago next year
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...d1b8cff3c.html

Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
This is a great post and I wonder the same thing. I was first disappointed to learn the recently completed Skygarden building was actually for student housing and then finding out the new development at 595 King St was going to be for student housing. There must be more money in it for the developers vs. regular apartments. I wonder too if developers are exempt from work-force unit set asides if the building is for student housing.

At least if the student housing thing doesn't work out or gets over built the buildings can always be converted to condos or regular apartments.
It’s a guaranteed market up to the size of CofC. I’m just glad it’s not derelict lots and surface parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area