Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
That there is a group called this, is a problem in itself. Let's not forget about the fact that more whites are killed by cops than black. But their lives don't matter. Seems blatantly racist to me, yet no one seems ever point this out.
I'd like to see where you get this stat. And if thats true, its not black peoples faults that no one is speaking up. Black people are tired of getting executed left and right by police, so like the 60s and 90s, theyre speaking up. If white people are getting killed more, then you need to be protesting too, not getting mad at black people (and all other races) for speaking out. Thats reverse racism that you want to get offended. You WANT to be offended so you can call them racist, when in reality theyre not trying to offend you. This is not the Black Panthers.

Its funny how much non-black people take this so literal and offending. The purpose of "Black lives matter" isnt "black lives matter, but screw everyone elses", the purpose of black lives matter is "black lives matter too, we're not second class anymore and shouldnt be treated that way by law enforcement." Blacks and latinos are still profiled by police. Blacks and latinos still dont get the same equality in America that whites do. The purpose of this movement is to shine a light on this issue, not create a race divide. Youre the one causing the race divide when you make it sound racist.

Ive seen stories lately of cops killing unarmed people of all colors, and dogs on private property. Dont get mad at blacks for speaking up, get mad at the justice system for aquitting these cops just because theyre cops. If a cop went onto your private property and "felt threatened by your dog" and shot it dead, youd be mad too right? And then when the courts let that cop off because "he felt threatened by your pet", youre not gonna be happy right? Well thats whats been happening.

No ones pointing it out because its not true.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-11-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 12:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'd like to see where you get this stat. And if thats true, its not black peoples faults that no one is speaking up. Black people are tired of getting executed left and right by police, so like the 60s and 90s, theyre speaking up. If white people are getting killed more, then you need to be protesting too, not getting mad at black people (and all other races) for speaking out. Thats reverse racism that you want to get offended. You WANT to be offended so you can call them racist, when in reality theyre not trying to offend you. This is not the Black Panthers.

Its funny how much non-black people take this so literal and offending. The purpose of "Black lives matter" isnt "black lives matter, but screw everyone elses", the purpose of black lives matter is "black lives matter too, we're not second class anymore and shouldnt be treated that way by law enforcement." Blacks and latinos are still profiled by police. Blacks and latinos still dont get the same equality in America that whites do. The purpose of this movement is to shine a light on this issue, not create a race divide. Youre the one causing the race divide when you make it sound racist.

Ive seen stories lately of cops killing unarmed people of all colors, and dogs on private property. Dont get mad at blacks for speaking up, get mad at the justice system for aquitting these cops just because theyre cops. If a cop went onto your private property and "felt threatened by your dog" and shot it dead, youd be mad too right? And then when the courts let that cop off because "he felt threatened by your pet", youre not gonna be happy right? Well thats whats been happening.

No ones pointing it out because its not true.
Sorry, but when the leader of this group is promising a "resistance phase" because Mayor Summey won't immediately kowtow to their demands, it does not endear me to their group. Personally, I think Mayor Summey has been doing a very good job in the face of this terrible crime.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:13 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Sadly, people of all races are killed. Some would say warranted, some would say not so much. But the FACT is...because one doesn't jump on the "black lives matter" bandwagon does not make them racist. Every life does matter! GOD created us each and every one.

Where the whole thing goes racist is when you have the baiters or sharpton and jacksons sachet in. They play the race card, "whoa is the black man"....instead of the facts card. And until community as a whole wants to get real and honest about that nothing will change. ie: why did Scott jump and run? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Now before anyone says it shouldn't have ended this way. I agree. It should not have. But would it have ended this way had he not ran?

One of the wisest things I have learned from my dear husband is that every desision you make directly effects others.

One can't make bad or questionable decisions and then blame it on others. People must take responsibility for their actions. Until then, more of the same is order of the day. And if sharpton, jackson and voices for the "community" want to make/see changes and open conversation then they must preach and teach personal responsibility and get off the "whoa is me, poor black man" mentality. It is a cop out and an end run to not deal in facts.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
The whole problem as I see it is that we need to change the culture of policing in this country. As a former wife of a police officer I feel that there is a higher than acceptable percentage of officers that feel they are above the law..that they have their brothers to back up their police reports and their actions. Sure it's a difficult job and many turn to alcohol to cope with the stresses the job requires. Is it right..no. Is it an excuse..no. My marriage to my ex ended because he used alcohol to excess to cope with the horrible things he witnessed on the street and then would drive his patrol car while drunk and when I asked him why would he risk his job..all he could say is..who is going to stop me. I still believe most officers have the professional and higher integrity we all want and expect from our police community, but the ones who are not worthy need to be weeded out. It's not just the black or Latino community that needs to be concerned about this issue. We all need to demand changes to the way our country polices our people.. Sure it's a race issue..but it's a human race issue..

Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 AM

657 posts, read 739,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

"In 2012, according to the CDC, 140 blacks were killed by police. That same year 386 whites were killed by police. Over the 13-year period from 1999 to 2011, the CDC reports that 2,151 whites were killed by cops — and 1,130 blacks were killed by cops. Police shootings, nationwide, are down dramatically from what they were 20 or 30 years ago. The CDC reported that in 1968, shootings by law enforcement — called “legal intervention” by the CDC — was the cause of death for 8.6 out of every million blacks. For whites the rate was was .9 deaths per million."

Your claims of "being executed left and right" is ridiculous, and the kid in Ferguson deserved it. I would also guarantee you/ the media would call a group called "white lives matter" racist. Whether the point is to create a race divide or not, it does. Grouping themselves into a group by race, divides them. Same thing with black student unions, and other similar groups. If the group was called "People against police violence" this wouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sorry, but when the leader of this group is promising a "resistance phase" because Mayor Summey won't immediately kowtow to their demands, it does not endear me to their group. Personally, I think Mayor Summey has been doing a very good job in the face of this terrible crime.
No one said you had to join in the cause? And no one said Mayor Summey isn't doing a good job. I think he is and it gave me much assurance to know he condemned Slager's actions.

Quote:
"In 2012, according to the CDC, 140 blacks were killed by police. That same year 386 whites were killed by police. [...]

Your claims of "being executed left and right" is ridiculous, and the kid in Ferguson deserved it. I would also guarantee you/ the media would call a group called "white lives matter" racist. Whether the point is to create a race divide or not, it does. Grouping themselves into a group by race, divides them. Same thing with black student unions, and other similar groups. If the group was called "People against police violence" this wouldn't be an issue.
Wow, you would cite someone from Fox News. Because theyre not bias or anything. But here we'll play with your stats. You say in 2012, 140 blacks were killed versus 386 whites. But in 2010, America was 72.4% white, while 12.6% black, so there is a large disparity. Just putting that into a ratio form, that's 1 out every 279 whites, but 1 out of every 17 for blacks.

My claims of being executed left and right is not ridiculous. And Chromekitty why dont you stop preaching to me and preach to this guy, since he believes people deserve to die. Yeah we're not opening that can of worms. I still don't believe the Mike Brown thing, and you do, and neither of our minds will change, so no point in going down that road.

And there we are again with the reverse racism. "Why can't we have white lives matter?", "why can we have historically black colleges, but not white colleges?", "why can we have BET, but not WET?", "why cant we have white student unions?", "why can we have Black History Month, but not White History Month?", "why can we have the NAACP, but not the NAAWP?", yada yada. All these are not meant to be racist, but yet people like you want them to be racist, which is reverse racism. If you want to know why all these exist, pick up a damn history book, especially South Carolina history book.

I don't remember whites having to go through Jim Crow, US slavery, coming up with segregation laws, having to deal with lynchings, dogs and hoses, etc. What was the black equivalent of the Ku Klux Klan? The Black Panthers? Not even close. Malcolm X preached violence is the answer, but why? As self-defense because back then no one else was protecting blacks, so he felt we needed to just protect ourselves. 1962, all states had at least one integrated college except - you guessed it: South Carolina. Clemson admitted its first black student in 1963. USC was trying everything they could to block integration, but at that point it was going to be inevitable. Hell Alabama didn't want to integrate until their football team got dragged by integrated Southern Cal's team. That is why there are HBCU's. They were not created because they didn't want white people to attend, they were created because they wanted blacks to be able get an education as well, but couldn't attend the likes of Clemson and USC. Sorry for having to take you down this road, but I'm not saying this to white guilt you, I'm saying this so you understand why blacks are chanting what they are. It's not racist. I don't care if that stuff "happened in the past" (which is the typical excuse), we still see the ramifications of it today and its forever embedded in America's history, just like the Civil War, JFK assassination, and Great Depression.

And don't you think its telling that there really arent any hispanics, indians, or asians complaining about the "black lives matter" slogan? Only ones I see complaining are whites. Why is that? Why does it bother you so much? Ever since 1776, whites have had it infinitely easier than every other race in America, so why are you bothered? Your life obviously matters. And being male, that made it even that much easier for you. White males have had majority of Americas power. So what, now that America is diversifying, you feel threatened? You think your life doesn't matter anymore because whites are losing the majority and will have completely lost it by 2050, maybe sooner? Thats what it comes off to me as. White lives matter, black lives matter, Indian lives matter, Native American lives matter, hispanic lives matter, pacific islander lives matter, mixed lives matter, all lives matter. The problem isn't people saying "black" lives matter, the problems is people taking "black" lives matter so literal and getting offended because they want to be offended. This is why I'm glad SC and America is diversifying fast, to get rid of this line of thought. Like I said, you need to protest as well if you're having it worse off with police, don't get mad at others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Sadly, people of all races are killed. Some would say warranted, some would say not so much. But the FACT is...because one doesn't jump on the "black lives matter" bandwagon does not make them racist. Every life does matter! GOD created us each and every one.

Where the whole thing goes racist is when you have the baiters or sharpton and jacksons sachet in. They play the race card, "whoa is the black man"....instead of the facts card. And until community as a whole wants to get real and honest about that nothing will change. ie: why did Scott jump and run? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Now before anyone says it shouldn't have ended this way. I agree. It should not have. But would it have ended this way had he not ran?

One of the wisest things I have learned from my dear husband is that every decision you make directly effects others.

One can't make bad or questionable decisions and then blame it on others. People must take responsibility for their actions. Until then, more of the same is order of the day. And if sharpton, jackson and voices for the "community" want to make/see changes and open conversation then they must preach and teach personal responsibility and get off the "whoa is me, poor black man" mentality. It is a cop out and an end run to not deal in facts.
No one said you had to jump on the "black lives matter" bandwagon. No one will fault you. You're only faulted when you start complaining and trying to say youre oppressed because its not "all lives matter." Of course they do.

Sharpton and Jackson are pretty bad, but they werent as bad as Ben Tillman, Strom Thurman, or Nathan Forrest (first leader of the KKK) and all the other wizards. Not all black people agree with them. You saw how Walter Scott's family don't want them around. They may try to play the race card, but thats your fault for falling in their trap. People wouldve been giving Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, etc the race card without them, mainly mainstream media. CNN, Fox News, etc. You act like everyone calls these killings racially motivated because Al Sharpton says so. Nope. It's because the media says so, so stop using them as scapegoats for blame. And when you have Walter Scott getting shot in the back running away, versus a white man in San Diego waving a gun around families at a park, and another white man in the Northwest carrying a gun outside a school and both being calmly confronted by police, that is why America throws race into it.

And don't start trying to blame the victim. Yes he ran, so what? If you were 16 and shoplifting a mall and was caught by security, you wouldve ran, whats the difference? He didn't deserve to die, point blank. Slager couldve ran and chased him down, but he didn't - why? He didn't think he was being filmed. Whyd he plant the taser and give a false report? He didn't think of being filmed. The man is a disgrace to the badge, but yet we're blaming the victim? If the video never was released, Slager would be walking around the streets of North Charleston free and everyone would be bashing Scott, when in reality he was an innocent man, the scum is Slager. If he knew he was being filmed, he wouldve chased Scott and wouldn't have used excessive force, but he thought he could "Darren Wilson" his way through it and be seen as a "hero." And it didn't work.

Scott shouldn't have ran, but he didn't deserve to lose his life because of it. Just like saying Mike Brown or Trayvon Martin deserved to die. People that say things like that are sickening. If anyone deserves or deserved to die, its Dzokhar Tsarnaev (Boston bombing), James Holmes (Aurora shooting), Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook), Jacob Roberts (Clackamas shooting), Harris and Klebold (Colombine). Putting Brown and Martin in that category with those monsters is sickening. Same goes for anyone saying Scott "deserved it" for running. Also notice how all those domestic terrorists are Caucasian, but you wont see Fox News making a statement about that...but yet the Mike Brown's and Al Sharpton's of America are the real monsters. Okay.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-12-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Quote:

Your claims of "being executed left and right" is ridiculous, and the kid in Ferguson deserved it.
This sentence in particular is most disturbing.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
There is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism

Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Theres also a thing called denial. Reverse racism is real. Search it. When you complain "there needs to be a white history month too, or no history months at all", youre doing it.

And thats what people are doing with Black Lives Matter. "What so white lives dont matter too?" No one said that. Youre wanting to be offended so you cant be called the offender...

Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 PM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
The whole problem as I see it is that we need to change the culture of policing in this country. As a former wife of a police officer I feel that there is a higher than acceptable percentage of officers that feel they are above the law..that they have their brothers to back up their police reports and their actions. Sure it's a difficult job and many turn to alcohol to cope with the stresses the job requires. Is it right..no. Is it an excuse..no. My marriage to my ex ended because he used alcohol to excess to cope with the horrible things he witnessed on the street and then would drive his patrol car while drunk and when I asked him why would he risk his job..all he could say is..who is going to stop me. I still believe most officers have the professional and higher integrity we all want and expect from our police community, but the ones who are not worthy need to be weeded out. It's not just the black or Latino community that needs to be concerned about this issue. We all need to demand changes to the way our country polices our people.. Sure it's a race issue..but it's a human race issue..
Couldn't agree more with what you are saying. It is well past the time to change the culture of policing in this country. Citizens need to start demanding real accountability. Perhaps it is time to aggressively bring back the modern day equivalent of the Knapp Commission across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area