Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

Okay, but do yall realize money isnt the main reason people don't want 526? Toll or no toll, attitudes wont change. People don't want an elevated highway going over marsh, they don't want truck noise in their backyards, and they don't want Johns Island to sprawl (which is inevitable anyway). It's not about the money, about the way of life. All the toll talk is a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:58 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
And that's why I say let 'em deal with it when the time comes. They were given an opportunity and fought it. Live with the consequences of your decision. Sprawl will happen in James Island like it or not, as Jandrew says it's inevitable. Take the money and use it elsewhere, there's plenty of places that are more than willing to put it to good use.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,729 times
Someone remind me what the hold up is. I remember an article recently that said there was bank funding secured and that they had reached an agreement with the local conservation groups not to sue over the permitting process. It seems unlikely to me that the already approved and funded half-billion dollar road project would be put on hold over land-owner objections. Got to be more to it than that, otherwise it would never have been approved.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,955,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Someone remind me what the hold up is. I remember an article recently that said there was bank funding secured and that they had reached an agreement with the local conservation groups not to sue over the permitting process. It seems unlikely to me that the already approved and funded half-billion dollar road project would be put on hold over land-owner objections. Got to be more to it than that, otherwise it would never have been approved.
The project is funded, but no one can decide who will pay for the lawsuits.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 PM

175 posts, read 168,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843bbq View Post
Toll booths would cause a traffic nightmare....
I don't think anyone builds toll roads with booths anymore, they can read your EZ Pass (or other system) at highway speed and mail a bill to those without transponders via license plate capture cameras.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,287 times
Yes, EZ Pass is efficient and effective (if you must have tolls that is), but it takes YEARS to get the general population to buy into it so that things actually run smoothly and quickly.
Just about everyone up north has it now, but that's not the case down here. Northerners were forced into it, because there are tolls everywhere; and again, that's not the case down here.
As far as just billing people before they're conditioned to it all... It's crazy to think about billing 90% of the drivers going through a toll booth.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
And that's why I say let 'em deal with it when the time comes. They were given an opportunity and fought it. Live with the consequences of your decision. Sprawl will happen in James Island like it or not, as Jandrew says it's inevitable. Take the money and use it elsewhere, there's plenty of places that are more than willing to put it to good use.
You probably make the best point.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 AM

175 posts, read 168,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Yes, EZ Pass is efficient and effective (if you must have tolls that is), but it takes YEARS to get the general population to buy into it so that things actually run smoothly and quickly.
Just about everyone up north has it now, but that's not the case down here. Northerners were forced into it, because there are tolls everywhere; and again, that's not the case down here.
As far as just billing people before they're conditioned to it all... It's crazy to think about billing 90% of the drivers going through a toll booth.
Many of the states I am familiar with give a discount for those using the transponders. Or they put a surcharge on those without, however you want to look at it. So for those who use it regularly, it becomes a no brainer to adopt, and I am pretty sure the transponders are free through EZ pass but I could be wrong.

Another strategy is to have the open road system and a small set of 2-3 booths to the side that require a lane or two to exit the mainline for a moment to access the booths. This may be more practical for a population not used to the system. The time wasted having to stop would be a huge incentive to get a transponder when you see others whizzing by every day. A public campaign to make people aware of all of these things would have to be a part of the process as well.

You can also have it connected to your bank account where it can pull out say, $10-20 at a time, every time the balance gets low enough, it automatically initiates the transfer of funds.

If the government is collecting the toll, expect it to last forever. Eventually it will just get lumped in with the other taxes and fees and you will get no accountability on how that money is being spent.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:33 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
Many of the states I am familiar with give a discount for those using the transponders. Or they put a surcharge on those without, however you want to look at it. So for those who use it regularly, it becomes a no brainer to adopt, and I am pretty sure the transponders are free through EZ pass but I could be wrong.
E-ZPass runs about $25 for the interior transponder and anywhere from .50 - $1/month in fees (for those states that allow it) on top of the usage fees. Those that don't charge a service fee most undoubtedly get that from somewhere else.. you know it's not just going unpaid.

Quote:
If the government is collecting the toll, expect it to last forever. Eventually it will just get lumped in with the other taxes and fees and you will get no accountability on how that money is being spent.
If anyone is collecting a fee, expect it to not only last forever, but to increase over time.

I'm not in favor of tolls.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone builds toll roads with booths anymore, they can read your EZ Pass (or other system) at highway speed and mail a bill to those without transponders via license plate capture cameras.

This is what I was thinking of, I am just used to ol' school tolls where you stop and throw a dime or quarter. When I go back to visit tidewater that is what I use the EZ Pass (I did not now what that was! I knew it took a picture of my license plate, and I never slowed down a bit, kept rollin, received a ticket in the mail for $2.00, so it was worth it! I have continually gotten these tickets when I take the bridge tunnel (it is fast) and I never mind. I even called about getting an EZ pass , but it's not worth it, because I visit just about 3 or 4 times a year. EZ pass is cool, although I wined about the toll because I remember living there and always taking the bridge tunnel for free. But, it is very fast and smooth, no slow downs at all, it's fast I vote for the EZ Pass toll on the completed 526! I'll gladly pay a local annual fee!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area