Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 AM

363 posts, read 439,862 times

Advertisements

Glad no one was hurt. FYI putting up a fight isn't wise when any sort of weapon is displayed. Hand over the cash and RUN. Afterwards, yelling FIRE might draw more attention than yelling for HELP. Sadly, crime can and does occur anywhere and everywhere and has since time began. Cain killed his own brother Abel. Stay alert and go in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
Gladly, violent crime does NOT happen everywhere. I don't intend to "cower in fear", just want to be more "aware". I grew up in a small town, lived in a city the size of MP where there was crime, but knew which areas to stay away from (worked for the police dept) and for the last 25 years before moving here lived in a small city with no violent crime.

Not everybody has the same background, so please have some understanding. I was hopeful I'd get pointers (where not to go when), not criticism. Thank you for the people who gave some.

It's sad that people are so accepting of violent crime. As one poster mentioned, robberies happen in the historic district much more than many people (not just me) are aware - "at least weekly, in good areas". As with anything in life, you ignore a problem or resign yourself to "that's just how it is", the problem doesn't go away, it gets worse.

Maybe a visible police presence on the streets would deter this kind of thing from happening. Can't be good for tourism, which I assume is why the weekly "events" aren't publicized.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Mac,

The issue here is that you continually are surprised that crime happens. It has been an on going topic with you. No one and no where is immune, but to be shocked that it happens at all is simply out of touch.

There is a significant police presence downtown but that will not deter crime. You are under estimating the mind of a criminal, and do not understand it. Where is anyone being accepting of crime? (all crime is violent) being in tune to the fact that it does happen, does not make one accepting of it, not at all. But to walk around in shock over it, makes no sense. As a society we are mislead by media, what the true job of LE is and what is truly happening in our society but that is a topic for another day and another forum.

Last edited by sundrop; 01-02-2016 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
I do notice that lighting is lacking in parts of the historic district. The buildings cast dark shadows.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Don't ever look like a tourist, anywhere...
Walk with purpose, dress like the locals, and look like you know what you are doing.

And you know you're doing it right when random people ask you for directions.
Quoted for absolute truth!

Old 01-02-2016, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I've only lived in the area for 8 years. We go down town all the time -- in the historic district, at night, during the day, etc. and we have been fine.

You are trying to find the obvious dangerous areas.....my theory -- you aren't going to want to go to those areas any ways. After that -- for the most part, you will be safe. There are more folks telling you in these posts that it is okay than those saying that there is more going on than you think.

We aren't turning a blind eye and letting crime run rampant in the historic district. Folks live there, play there, work there and we would be hearing lots more if it was really crime ridden.

Of course stuff happens. It happens everywhere. I lived in a small town of 30K where for the most part you could walk anywhere at night. But every now and again something would happen. It wasn't going to stop us from living.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:58 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Glad no one was hurt. FYI putting up a fight isn't wise when any sort of weapon is displayed. Hand over the cash and RUN. Afterwards, yelling FIRE might draw more attention than yelling for HELP. Sadly, crime can and does occur anywhere and everywhere and has since time began. Cain killed his own brother Abel. Stay alert and go in peace.
Unless you have a weapon of your own. Nearly impossible for tourists who fly in.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I don't think 11pm is that late. Say you go into town for a late dinner, then stay for a few drinks. You could be walking to your car @ that time.

Since we're new here, can someone please define "anywhere". People always say "crime happens everywhere", "it can happen anywhere". I'd expect this kind of thing to happen in Detroit or Philly, not so much in Charleston.

Does that mean don't go shopping at Towne Center in MP after dark or you could be held up at gunpoint? Don't walk after dark on Daniel Island or the same could happen?

I'm not being facetious. Someone told me she recently moved to Summerville and had been there months before someone at work told her she shouldn't pump gas at night alone. People who are new here don't know this stuff.

We come from a very safe little city of 17K in MA where we could walk anywhere at any hour (even in the middle of the night) and not worry about being harassed or mugged much less held up at gunpoint, so we don't know what precautions to take where.
This isn't the Wild West. It sounds as though you moved from some Shangri-La.

Crime can, and does, happen anywhere. If you live your life in fear, you are already a victim.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:30 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,549 times
Being aware means raising your self awareness, as well as awareness of your surroundings.

-Wear a cross body purse and keep your hand on the strap.
-DON'T talk on your cellphone.
-Become aware of your personal space 'bubble' - usually it's 3 feet around you. When you're walking out in public, learn to increase that bubble, so that you're aware of things/people in a wider circle around you.
-Change your definition of 'suspicious looking' people. A 90 pound female teenager can grab your purse just as well as a 150 guy with a beard.
-If you're with a partner and chatting, develop your spider sense so you can be aware of your surroundings even as you're chatting.
-If you see someone you think is suspicious, cross the street. If you hear footsteps behind you that make you uncomfortable, cross the street. Go into a store or restaurant.
-Develop your awareness of sounds and 'feelings' behind you.
- In interviews with muggers/purse snatchers, etc, they will say that they look for someone who's just not paying attention to what's going on around them.

Take a self defense class if you can. It will do wonders to boost your confidence and awareness.

How many times have I said 'aware' in this post? Lots, because people are more and more prone to just walk, or drive, or shop, without paying any attention to their surroundings. Always stay alert.

There's a huge difference between awareness and fear. Be aware, but please don't be afraid to enjoy this beautiful city we live in.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:35 AM

119 posts, read 160,949 times
I was just there last week during the day, I could see this happening. Just like anywhere, stay with the crowd in full view and stay out of those back streets that are not crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area