Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 AM

49 posts, read 94,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Taking 526 to FLETC is a loooong way around. You'd only do that if there were an accident on the bridge. Anywhere south of the Isle of Palms connector will be an easy commute via 17 and 26. If you're willing to add drive time, you can go farther into North Mt P. Then you're dealing with 41 traffic and Wando High School traffic. Both of which can extend your drive time to well beyond the norm.

Personally, I'd be looking at something south of IOP or even inside of 526. The out of control residential development going on in North Mt P is going to lead to more and more traffic headaches , and the properties south of the IOP connector are becoming much more desirable.
Looking at a map, it appears that Isle of Palms connector starts at 17 and goes in a north-west to south-east direction. How far north of 17 would it still make sense to take 17 instead of 526? Do people that live in the Belle Hall area typically take 526 or 17?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,253,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
Looking at a map, it appears that Isle of Palms connector starts at 17 and goes in a north-west to south-east direction. How far north of 17 would it still make sense to take 17 instead of 526? Do people that live in the Belle Hall area typically take 526 or 17?
You wouldn't take 526 to FLETC from anywhere in Mount Pleasant, with the exception being anything off Clements ferry Road. Or if there were an accident on the Ravenel Bridge.

Edit

Just looked at travel times from Belle Hall - 17 > 26 is still faster but not by much. I guess it's just a roll of the dice with the traffic lights on 17 vs congestion on 526 bridges and the 26/526 interchange.

Last edited by lizardspock; 01-20-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,307,979 times
Quote:
You wouldn't take 526 to FLETC from anywhere in Mount Pleasant, with the exception being anything off Clements ferry Road. Or if there were an accident on the Ravenel Bridge.

Edit

Just looked at travel times from Belle Hall - 17 > 26 is still faster but not by much. I guess it's just a roll of the dice with the traffic lights on 17 vs congestion on 526 bridges and the 26/526 interchange.
... and if the sun comes up tomorrow, there will be congestion on 526!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,307,979 times
Default Commute settled .. budget next!

Quote:
Personally, I'd be looking at something south of IOP or even inside of 526. The out of control residential development going on in North Mt P is going to lead to more and more traffic headaches , and the properties south of the IOP connector are becoming much more desirable.
Personally, I live south of IOP for so many reasons including accessibility to Charleston peninsula. But as the area becomes "more desirable" in lizardspock's words, home costs have RISEN. In-fill homes (new construction) south of IOP are really crazy! Less square footage inside & out albeit with brand new everything.
Now that you've heard it all on commute, budget has to be taken into consideration. Basically, by asserting MT P school district, no need to drill down IMO - you can't go wrong as far as the specific schools. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,627,570 times
Yes, budget could be the deciding factor on where you'll live whether renting or buying. Mt P is one of the more expensive choices in the Charleston area.

When using Google Maps to calculate driving times, try it at the time in the morning/afternoon that you're likely to be making the commute for the most accurate results.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Just to update everyone 3 years later; I bought off of Six Mile road and took everyone's advice and drove to work everyday. For biking, I stick to the trails or the IOP Connector.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:35 AM

63 posts, read 53,332 times
You'd be crazy to be on a bicycle with the way the streets are set up and the way people drive.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:21 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,627,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
Just to update everyone 3 years later; I bought off of Six Mile road and took everyone's advice and drove to work everyday. For biking, I stick to the trails or the IOP Connector.
Thanks for the update. So, what route do you find best for driving into FLETC?

Old 07-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Thanks for the update. So, what route do you find best for driving into FLETC?
90% of the time, I would take 17 over the Ravenel, Morrison and then Spruill Avenue.

Normally, the reverse to come back home.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:05 AM

246 posts, read 520,027 times
Whew! Glad you’re still alive. That would have been one scary commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area