Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 PM

49 posts, read 94,606 times

Advertisements

I will be moving down to Charleston this summer and will be working at FLETC in North Charleston. I've been told that Mt Pleasant is the best place to live for the middle and high schools. I've been a year round bike commuter in the Great Lakes and DC area for the past 7 years and want to keep doing that, but have been told that the infrastructure isn't there and that it wouldn't be safe. Is that something I just have to accept or is it something I can do but I have to accept that it will not be very convenient?

Regardless if I drive or ride, if I live in Mt Pleasant, is it better to live closer to the route 17 and go through the city to North Charleston or live closer to 526 and do what looks like a big U-turn (526 to 26)? Are bicycles even allowed on 526?

I apologize for the random questions (don't worry I will have more), I don't know this area yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,600,535 times
There are gutsier folks around here than I but I wouldn't ride a bike on most of the busy roads around Charleston. The roads aren't set up for it and the drivers are not experienced with bikes on the road. There are a few that are ok, but not most. It's not legal (or sane) on 526.

I'd probably take 17 into town from Mt Pleasant and go up Morrison/Spruill to get to FLETC but maybe someone who specifically drives that in morning rush hr can chime in.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
526 is an Interstate as in I526. No bicycles allowed nor horses for that matter.

Bicycle from MTP to North Charleston on a daily basis is..how do I say/ask it politely...are you out of your mind.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM

So, is the only way off Mt Pleasant on bike would be on 17?

If I were to drive, is the traffic going into FLETC in the morning and going to Mt Pleasant in the afternoon/evening better on 17 than it is on 526?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
526 is an Interstate as in I526. No bicycles allowed nor horses for that matter.

Bicycle from MTP to North Charleston on a daily basis is..how do I say/ask it politely...are you out of your mind.
No, not at all. I am determined but don't have a death wish. But it would be nice to have the option every once in a while.

I want to ride since I have been doing it for the past 7 years, but if it isn't meant to be then I will drive.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
So, is the only way off Mt Pleasant on bike would be on 17?

If I were to drive, is the traffic going into FLETC in the morning and going to Mt Pleasant in the afternoon/evening better on 17 than it is on 526?
Yes, unless you count biking to Sullivans or IOP...

I would think 17 would be better than 526/26. Of course it depends on where you are in Mt P but 26 going into town is a nightmare in the morning and 526 is a nightmare most times. I live on James Island so someone else might have a clearer perspective on that morning traffic.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
No, not at all. I am determined but don't have a death wish. But it would be nice to have the option every once in a while.

I want to ride since I have been doing it for the past 7 years, but if it isn't meant to be then I will drive.
You actually might be able to ride 17 into town and then up Morrison/Spruill on a bike. The 17 bridge is set up for bikes but I'm not sure what Morrison/Spruill are like bike-wise.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
There is a bike lane on Spruill and i do see bikes sometimes coming from downtown Charleston in the morning so in theory it is possible if you live close enough to the Ravenel. Just so you know though, traffic is moving 40+ mph on Spruill and it's not the nicest of areas to be biking (like on any given day you will have to deal with a guy pulling a shopping cart with scrap metal in the bike lane).

Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 AM

21 posts, read 26,868 times
Riding a bike from Mt Pleasant to North Charleston is almost impossible. I wouldn’t allow my worst enemy to ride a bike on Spruill Av. Good way to get you jacked for that bike, or shot and left for dead. Although you might become acquainted to the ladies of the night and be able to buy you a rock or two all along that route.

You need to understand. Charleston metro is built over waterways and marshland. You have to get across that Cooper & Wando Rivers both from Mt Pleasant. South Carolina is not Michigan. There are no nice berms on the side of our roads as snow piling up isn’t an issue here like up north to ride a bike on a nice wide berm. You’re going to find, biking around here is a death wish and impossible in some areas.

I am seriously thinking, you need to find a different place to move all together or plan to live in Tanner Plantation in Hanahan or North Charleston if your hell bent on riding a bike to work. I suggest you come down here for a week and drive and site in that traffic in the morning and afternoon before you make a decision on a place to live. Only then will you see yourself biking is not a logical choice. If you load google maps in the morning and afternoon of the Charleston Metro area, click the traffic tab it will light up like a Christmas tree and show you the problem areas at all times of the day.

So honestly do your own homework. Come down here and rent a place for a while and just learn the areas before deciding on a house purchase. You’re going to get a big ole slap upside the head real quick when it comes to the morning and afternoon commuting. Plus, summer rains play a factor also. We get a lot of those afternoon thunder storms which are fueled by the afternoon sea breeze. Those pop up storms can dump 1-4 inches of monsoon type rains real quick with unbelievable lighting. You do not want to risk being on a bike getting caught in those pop up storms. Good luck on your ventures to get moved down here.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:28 AM

You'll have to see for yourself. I wouldn't be walking around Spruill Ave at midnight but I think you'll be fine biking it in the daylight hours. Biking in our weather is another issue and I'd say the heat/humidity is the worst part of that. You may need to take a shower when you get to work.

There is also a bike lane on Morrison though I'm not sure how/if it connects with the one on Spruill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area