Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 950 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Long Island, NY and are looking to move. I’m pregnant with our first child and looking to have one more. We want more quality of life and less cold weather. We’re both heavily tattooed and don’t have a suburban look. I do realize SC is modernized but we would love to be able to meet people and make new friends and want to make sure we don't have an issue with judgmental areas. We fell in love with Charleston when we visited and checked out some neighboring areas while we were there. Mount Pleasant, Johns Island, West Ashley were a few we saw. I heard good things about Summerville and Goose Creek also but they might be a little too far from beach and downtown Charleston. Any input on areas would be great. Thanks in advance!

Things were looking for are:

-Good selection of shops, restaurants, parks

-Within 45 mins of beach and downtown Charleston, preferably less

-Good school district

-Close to industry if possible (my husband is in tech)

-We like to explore and do things on the weekends, cool towns, wineries, breweries, festivals, beach etc

-Looking for a 4 bedroom home 2700sq ft or bigger with a little bit of property nothing crazy. I can't stand sitting right on top of neighbors. Max budget $550,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Look at Avondale. Close to town and may suit your vibe just fine.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times
Avondale is cool but probably no acreage there. Then there's Johns Island where I'm at but the schools are no good from what I hear.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
I love Avondale and West Ashley has more of the hipster vibe that you might gel with, however, you might have a hard time finding 2700 sqft there for $550k. In truth, there are very few with that kind sqft in Avondale to begin with.

The whole area of inner West Ashley (inside the I-526 highway) would be worth considering. Schools are mixed but some are highly rated. That area is mostly older homes. If that isn't an issue, then it's one of the first places I'd look.

I do have a client who has talked of selling her 4 bedroom house in Avondale but it's only 2211 sqft (going by the tax records). I'll message you about that.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Live where ever in Charleston. People aren't that provincial here. Before we moved to the country, we lived in Mt P. Husband is heavily tattooed. Never had a single issue. In fact, never had issues anywhere in the metro area and he has a job dealing with people everyday - even those from so-called posh areas.

I work in IT in this area. I've employed people with Mohawks, tattoos, gages, and super straight laced. No one blinks an eye. Again, it's about you the person and in our industry, how good you are at your job.

Short answer, you'll be fine here in Charleston anywhere you decide to live.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:06 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Live where ever in Charleston. People aren't that provincial here. Before we moved to the country, we lived in Mt P. Husband is heavily tattooed.
True. But somehow I don't think that a 2700 sq ft $550,000 home in Park West would be the OP's ideal.

Just like LI, to get bang for your buck, you must move further from the city. And you can only move so far before you'll lose all touch with Charleston on a regular basis. Worse, you'll be reminded of being in suburban Suffolk County -- only hotter!

Last edited by joyeaux; 04-29-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 PM

243 posts, read 237,985 times
You'll do fine in the city. Out in the burbs may be more of a challenge. I've always felt that tattoos would be regretted. Your post indicates that.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:16 AM

50 posts, read 51,681 times
As a guy without tattoos, I feel like I’m in the minority whenever I’m in downtown, west Ashley,James island or park circle. I think Mt Pleasant and historic downtown might be the only exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area