Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,684,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKlocinski View Post
I live in the Toledo, Ohio area and running red lights is so common here that the running joke is "How do you know a Toledo driver? He's the third one through on the red light". Sounds like we will be right at home in Summerville....
Maybe those are the ones that are moving here. In the past three year's it's gotten so bad around here with people going through red lights and not using turn signals (Which is a BIG pet peeve of mine). So just because someone has a SC tag on their car don't blame the bad driving all on us.

I have taught my daughter that even though your light just turned green, that doesn't mean to go until you've made sure those with the red lights have stopped. Like my dad told me when I started driving.....when you are on the road think that other driver's are out to wreck you. It's worked for the past 28 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 AM

35 posts, read 391,907 times
That's too bad....in MA, they now have cameras at the lights so they can tell who runs the red lights and ticket them. Even in Boston, people don't run red lights or drive when someone is in the crosswalks....they monitor that stuff very closely here...anyone who runs a red light or found not stopping for pedestrians are fined heavily. One can't renew registration or driver's license until all tickets are paid in full. So, when I move there next summer, you won't ever find me running a red light! It's entrenched in our brains!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM

97 posts, read 261,152 times
I was SOOO excited when I saw this thread. Then I got on here and all but 3 of the pictures are comming up as the little box with a red x in it. Darn it!!!
People drive like idiots in Buffalo, NY also. Don't find many people running red lights or stop signs though. Probably because we know that in the winter, the roads are so crappy that if the light is red, there are going to be a few people sliding through the light cause they can't stop. Guess it just becomes a habit!! The main issue I have driving up here is tailgating!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,941 times
Who ever started posting photos of the area - I just viewed yours and a slide show of Mt. Pleasant - is genious! You are thoughtful to share such a lovely area with the world. I've been researching these towns outside of Charleston for two years now, and have been "pulled" in this direction in my heart. Our family is looking forward to a future Southern life in a coastal area. Thanks for making the difficult decision of a move an easier choice!

Very much appreciated and we look forward to a trip this XMas break. From coastal Massachusetts, we hope to be coastal SC!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,684,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlc318 View Post
That's too bad....in MA, they now have cameras at the lights so they can tell who runs the red lights and ticket them. Even in Boston, people don't run red lights or drive when someone is in the crosswalks....they monitor that stuff very closely here...anyone who runs a red light or found not stopping for pedestrians are fined heavily. One can't renew registration or driver's license until all tickets are paid in full. So, when I move there next summer, you won't ever find me running a red light! It's entrenched in our brains!!!
I really wish they would put camera's up here, it's gotten that bad. I pass by the library at the College of Charleston where they have two crosswalks and most people do not stop for these college kids.

Shannon2027, we have tailgating here also. The main cause of accidents here are from tailgating, running red lights and just stupid driving in general. Like the people that will be in the middle lane while you are in the left lane on a city road then out of nowhere they make a left turn onto another street. Instead of using their turn signal to move into your lane then moving into the left turning lane. I had the happen to me twice in the last two weeks. It makes me wonder how these people got their license.

Getting off my soapbox now. It's just the driving skills of some make my blood pressure go up. lol

Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 100,119 times
Thanks for posting these photos! We are leaning toward Summerville.. and now we definitely have to visit!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM

72 posts, read 258,904 times
Is much of Charleston like this? Even though I'm not going into architecture anymore, I do appreciate seeing beauty like this as a future civil engineer. Better than the suburban mess in much of the US.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,864 times
These pictures are largely of Summerville, and most of the older architecture is similar to this. Charleston is DEFINITELY like this and the architecture is beautiful. Newer buildings have been built in the same style and it is a city like none other. You would appreciate it.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,420 times
Default More pics

I noticed some of my pictures aren't showing up for some reason so I thought I would add a couple more that I took recently:

[IMG][/IMG]

New Downtown Parking Garage

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Summerville High School:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM

34 posts, read 100,119 times
Thumbs up Wonderful!

Thank you again!!!

Planned a trip in Dec. to visit and see everything first hand!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area