Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times

Advertisements

Could you please reopen On the Border? Maybe somewhere on Rivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You're exactly right about my bbq joint location, Meks. Did you notice a week or so ago when they re-arrested the young man who had been charged with murder but he was allowed to stay home with the GPS tracker. He was the one who took the tracker off and went on another crime spree. If you saw it on the news after they caught him, they interviewed a lady who said he had broken into her business. That was the same building as my bbq place. I was broken into there during my tenure as well. You are right about that area and that location. I can't tell you how many times people came in to buy drugs. The very first day we were there a suspicious guy was there and wanted to wait in the back lot for someone. I am sure he was dealing. Several times people came in asking for "the stuff we don't have on the menu". I guess the previous bbq place that was there had a reputation for such goings on (a few regular customers ended up telling me just that). It's a wonder I had any people coming in at all.

Anyway, my seafood restaurant was not here. That was a successful venture that I sold to move here. It is still up & running and in it's 26th year.

I wish I could open another bbq restaurant, but I'm not in the position to do that right now.
you last restaurant - as far as the location and the previous clientèle, the guy that owned it before you is in the federal penitentiary... looks like the cops figured out how he owned a 50K truck with over 50K in rims alone and didn't have payments, all from selling a few bbq sandwiches... lol

that was a drug running/money laundering gig, hence why the peeps were looking for off the menu items

you should start small, maybe catering first like others have done until you build it back up

Old 03-25-2012, 02:52 PM

76 posts, read 182,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
It's extremely expensive probably because they only use locally-sourced seafood, which as you know is going to cost you more than the market of frozen imported seafood. They get their seafood next door from Wando Seafood, and the boat that brings in the seafood that The Wreck serves docks only about 100 feet away from the restaurant.

People have been saying that they've "gone downhill" for years, but anytime I go there it's the exact same as it was years ago, and the fried shrimp are still some of the best I've had anywhere in this country (and I've scoured seafood shacks all up and down the Atlantic and Gulf coasts). I'm surprised at any comments addressing the quality of the food itself, as any complaints I ever heard of this place were that 1) the price is too high (but that's the price you pay for getting a purely local product); or 2) they think the experience is too bare-boned with paper plates and no A/C.

Boy do they have you fooled!!! NOTHING LOCAL at the Wreck this time of year. they might use some local shrimp in season, but not this time of year. Go ahead and tell me the name of the fishing boat they are buying from......i'll be waiting.

And I wouldn't let anyone I know eat the swill that Hymans servers. I will give them credit for great advertising, billboards, and hawks to push tourists to them.When I worked for the biggest wholesaler we use to "Hymanize" all of our old fish. Nothing local or fresh here either.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SELLSFISH View Post
Boy do they have you fooled!!! NOTHING LOCAL at the Wreck this time of year. they might use some local shrimp in season, but not this time of year. Go ahead and tell me the name of the fishing boat they are buying from......i'll be waiting.

And I wouldn't let anyone I know eat the swill that Hymans servers. I will give them credit for great advertising, billboards, and hawks to push tourists to them.When I worked for the biggest wholesaler we use to "Hymanize" all of our old fish. Nothing local or fresh here either.

Sellsfish, I respect the work you do with your local seafood market and such, so please disabuse me of this - I had thought that The Wreck froze local shrimp from Wando Seafood to serve in the off-season? Personally, I've purchased pounds of flash-frozen shrimp from Wando Seafood that they actually freeze right on the boats themselves instead of waiting to get back to shore.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
I did not know they had processing boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area