Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Hmmm, more personal attacks, I do understand statistics very well, I just don't like it when someone uses statistical analysis to make things in SC look worse than they are in NYC, Philly or any other major city in the country. At one point Phoenix City Alabama was the murder capital of the country, had a higher murder rate per 100K than any other city in the country, they only had 10k people.....

FYI ten days out of a year does not make you a resident....
Tom,

You just contradicted yourself, re: Stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM

146 posts, read 334,618 times
Quote:
Hmmm, more personal attacks, I do understand statistics very well, I just don't like it when someone uses statistical analysis to make things in SC look worse than they are in NYC, Philly or any other major city in the country.
I can't speak to Philly, but my girlfriend walks home routinely at 3-5 AM without incident and without me having to worry at all. And that's in the East Village, which used to be one of the biggest drug havens in the city. Part of it is population density- most neighborhoods in Manhattan are so crowded at night that it is tough to rob someone. Walking home late at night in Charleston we were nervous- dead streets and run-down neighborhoods barely a mile away from the tourist district. I would def. not want my SO walking down Spring St. by herself at night. It's not a big stretch to say Charleston is a more dangerous city than NYC. This is not NYC in the '70s and '80s. There are some neighborhoods that are still pretty dangerous, but for the most part NYC is exceptionally safe for a city its size.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Charle...-Carolina.html

Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM

267 posts, read 815,209 times
Hey, I love Charleston. I've lived in Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, and DC, and I think it's the most gorgeous place I've ever lived in. Period. All cities can be and are dangerous if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately, crime exists everywhere.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
Hey, I love Charleston. I've lived in Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, and DC, and I think it's the most gorgeous place I've ever lived in. Period. All cities can be and are dangerous if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately, crime exists everywhere.
True.

But frequency = probability.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
FYI ten days out of a year does not make you a resident....
Tom,

That's something that you and I sorta agree upon.

While down there this time, observing the faceless nothingness that the city of my birth and maturation has sunk to, I worked out the phrase that sums what I believe is a fair congruence of our respective views up:

"My hometown, but your city."

I know a helluva lot more about the history of the area and how that record has impacted the present-day.

You know a helluva lot more about current conditions in specific areas, esp Summerville which is about as much a part of Charleston as Philly is of Atlantic City.

And that's about that.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Ahhh, but I have lived in all four....

Philly, AC, Charleston and Summerville so I can tell you a lot about all of them....

You want to see crime and desolation, walk two blocks west of Atlantic Ave in AC, get turned around once or twice in NE Philly. I would walk the streets of any of these because I know how not to be a victim. I live in Summerville because I have lived in big cities and I don't like them, I grew up with gangs and I had a choice at a very young age as to which way I was going to go and I decided to leave all that behind and make a difference in my life not live in places like that....

So get off of your high horse and get with reality....

The Charleston area is a great place to live, Summerville is awesome.

And just as a oh by the way you really don't know anything about Philly of AC if you thing they are that different....

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Philly, AC, Charleston and Summerville so I can tell you a lot about all of them....

You want to see crime and desolation, walk two blocks west of Atlantic Ave in AC, get turned around once or twice in NE Philly. I would walk the streets of any of these because I know how not to be a victim. I live in Summerville because I have lived in big cities and I don't like them, I grew up with gangs and I had a choice at a very young age as to which way I was going to go and I decided to leave all that behind and make a difference in my life not live in places like that....

And just as a oh by the way you really don't know anything about Philly of AC if you thing they are that different....
Tom,

Ask anyone in Atlantic City (esp the leather skinned grannies feeding the slots) if they are in Philly.

And try to get a basic Stats book, or just a basic Math one and look up "ratio".

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-13-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM

267 posts, read 815,209 times
Quote:

So concur - if you're looking for seedy, I can't think of a better place than 80 percent of Atlantic City. And they don't call it Kiladelphia for nothing.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
So concur - if you're looking for seedy, I can't think of a better place than 80 percent of Atlantic City. And they don't call it Kiladelphia for nothing.
I trust you do not what the FBI stats say.

I believe you are confusing climate and fake gentility for a low crime rate.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
You are so high and mighty on your fbi stats......

Numbers lie and liars use numbers....

And please before you tell me to get another book you should know that I do know basic math, statistics, ratios and even calculus.....

Doesn't change the fact that your are more likely to get murdered, robbed or other wise assaulted in a large city like Philly, NY or Atlanta than you are in the Charleston area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area