Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 05:30 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,098,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
How many car lots do we need? We only have 1.8 million people in the state...
It amazes me how many car dealerships there is. The Charleston area alone has 4 Chevy Dealers! (5 if you include Hurricane) A lot of change with who owns these dealerships as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It amazes me how many car dealerships there is. The Charleston area alone has 4 Chevy Dealers! (5 if you include Hurricane) A lot of change with who owns these dealerships as well.
It does seem a little crazy for such a small state. But I suppose people come from out of state to purchase vehicles as well, I dunno. I guess that could be considered vehicle tourism lol.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:20 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
It does seem a little crazy for such a small state. But I suppose people come from out of state to purchase vehicles as well, I dunno. I guess that could be considered vehicle tourism lol.
I'm not sure how many people come from out of state because you pay the tax rate for where you live. So why come here?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I'm not sure how many people come from out of state because you pay the tax rate for where you live. So why come here?
Then maybe they don’t come here from out of state.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,013 times
The Kmart located at 1701 4Th Ave W Charleston, WV 25387-2415 is listed as one of the 140 plus stores Sears/Kmart will be closing as part of their recently declared bankruptcy. Hopefully the location can be redeveloped quickly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/

Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
The Kmart located at 1701 4Th Ave W Charleston, WV 25387-2415 is listed as one of the 140 plus stores Sears/Kmart will be closing as part of their recently declared bankruptcy. Hopefully the location can be redeveloped quickly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/
I saw that. Although I was confused by the address- I always thought it was on Patrick Street. Given the location and general demographics of the area, I doubt there will be much redevelopment. It is a shame because the West Side largely used to be a nice part of town. The flats were never known for being one of the 'richer' areas of the city but it was solidly middle class for a long time.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM

I don’t see anyone at this point coming in wanting to put something in that building. It’s a pretty good hunk of outdated building that would need significant renovation in order to make it usalble for 3-4 smaller stores or businesses. It would be nice to see, but realistically nobody wants to drive to Patrick Street for anything.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I don’t see anyone at this point coming in wanting to put something in that building. It’s a pretty good hunk of outdated building that would need significant renovation in order to make it usalble for 3-4 smaller stores or businesses. It would be nice to see, but realistically nobody wants to drive to Patrick Street for anything.
I see it differently.

The K-Mart building used to have a grocery store at the right hand side. I haven't looked lately. Is Weight Watchers still in there? The auto shop on the Patrick Street end of the building could probably be easily partitioned off. Overall, the building would probably need a major overhaul for something new to go in. That building is 50 years old.

I go to Patrick Street occasionally. I like Drug Emporium for several things, we look for bargains at Big Lots, and we pick up a pizza now and then from Little Caesars. I don't shop anywhere else at Patrick Street, but there must be enough people shopping there to keep businesses open. Rally's, Pizza Hut, Dollar Tree, Liquor Store, Marco's Pizza, Subway, & MacDonald's are all open in that area. There are a few others that I can't even think of right now.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:21 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
This is news I have had for some time but I have been both unsure if I should post and not wanting to post it because of what it is.

As some of you may know. Macy's Department store is one of two out of the original four anchors at Town Center. When the city botched bringing Dillard's in to replace the bankrupt Montgomery War, the other tenants started demanding special treatment - and they got it. Well, Sears didn't; they were too dumb to do any thing right.

The land under both JC Penney and Macy's was sold to CURA. A bit later CURA bought the Macy's building, but not the JC Penny building, which I believe they still own. But even this was not enough for Macy's. That chain demanded that they pay no rent, so the city/CURA stepped in and struck that deal.

Now, the chain has a building and land provided for them and has not renewed their lease that expires on April 30 2019. In the past they have more or less auto-signed such contractual work as a matter of business operations. Everyone I have spoken too says Macy's is done at Town Center by the termination date and in truth may just get through the Christmas season and start shutting down operations bit-by-bit shortly thereafter in January 2019.

Worse, the scuttle is that JC Penney will not stay in the mall and their current contract stipulates that they will leave if another anchor - Macy's - pulls out.

All of this is behind the door chatter. I am sure there are some inaccuracies in here and for that reason I have not come forward with this, but it has been an ongoing stream of such chatter over the last 6 months. All of this could change and to be honest, I am not sure why it has not. The energy at CTC is on the upswing and traffic is up throughout the mall. Improvements are slowly being made to the property and that is a good sign for a property in receivership. However, another store has closed their doors - Roger's Jewelry. That brings the total vacancy to 29 I believe.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
This is news I have had for some time but I have been both unsure if I should post and not wanting to post it because of what it is.

As some of you may know. Macy's Department store is one of two out of the original four anchors at Town Center. When the city botched bringing Dillard's in to replace the bankrupt Montgomery War, the other tenants started demanding special treatment - and they got it. Well, Sears didn't; they were too dumb to do any thing right.

The land under both JC Penney and Macy's was sold to CURA. A bit later CURA bought the Macy's building, but not the JC Penny building, which I believe they still own. But even this was not enough for Macy's. That chain demanded that they pay no rent, so the city/CURA stepped in and struck that deal.

Now, the chain has a building and land provided for them and has not renewed their lease that expires on April 30 2019. In the past they have more or less auto-signed such contractual work as a matter of business operations. Everyone I have spoken too says Macy's is done at Town Center by the termination date and in truth may just get through the Christmas season and start shutting down operations bit-by-bit shortly thereafter in January 2019.

Worse, the scuttle is that JC Penney will not stay in the mall and their current contract stipulates that they will leave if another anchor - Macy's - pulls out.

All of this is behind the door chatter. I am sure there are some inaccuracies in here and for that reason I have not come forward with this, but it has been an ongoing stream of such chatter over the last 6 months. All of this could change and to be honest, I am not sure why it has not. The energy at CTC is on the upswing and traffic is up throughout the mall. Improvements are slowly being made to the property and that is a good sign for a property in receivership. However, another store has closed their doors - Roger's Jewelry. That brings the total vacancy to 29 I believe.
If that’s true, that would be detrimental to the mall. I agree that it seems that the CTC was doing well, but if one or both remaining anchors pull out, I don’t see anything that could be done other than repurpose. The problem with repurposing the mall is that you’d have to have interested parties, and Charleston doesn’t really scream investment at this point.

Just hoping these are just rumors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston