Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 06:40 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Beer. I like beer. That being said...I really think craft beer is a trend that is getting way overblown but that’s what the younger demo wants.

Microbrewers were a big thing in Cincinnati in the 1990s. They blew up out of nothing, were big on the scene and died just a few years later. I don't think any of them are still open that were the 800-lb gorillas.

I can't complain about locals wanting to set up a One-of-a-kind outlet because Charleston used to have so many of those before the stampede of fast food chains roared into town in the 1970s and 1980s. Aren't most of the micros now doing food as well as beer? If so, that will add some legs to them. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
Most of them do have food. Black sheep has some good food.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Beer. I like beer. That being said...I really think craft beer is a trend that is getting way overblown but that’s what the younger demo wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Microbrewers were a big thing in Cincinnati in the 1990s. They blew up out of nothing, were big on the scene and died just a few years later. I don't think any of them are still open that were the 800-lb gorillas.

I can't complain about locals wanting to set up a One-of-a-kind outlet because Charleston used to have so many of those before the stampede of fast food chains roared into town in the 1970s and 1980s. Aren't most of the micros now doing food as well as beer? If so, that will add some legs to them. I hope so.
Quote:
Most of them do have food. Black sheep has some good food.
I know a little about this too. I got interested in quality beer, started brewing my own for a hobby, meet up with other beer geeks to share beers occasionally, and volunteer to pour at most of the Brew Fests around town. (Foam at the Dome, Kegs for K9s, OctoberWest, Hops & Heat, etc.) There are certainly a lot of young people coming to drink good beer at these event.

Most of the breweries in WV have restaurants. My opinion is that they do it so they can sell beer retail. In order to succeed at that they need to have food good enough that people will come back and come back and come back. Black Sheep is a decent example. Charleston Brewing opened operating a British restaurant. The brewery did fine. The restaurant did not. The restaurant was taken over by Black Sheep and seems to be thriving. Later (perhaps when the brewer left for other employment), Black Sheep bought the brewery and renamed it Bad Shepherd. Bridge Brew Works and Greenbrier Valley have added food, music & retail beer consumption on the premises this year. None of the breweries are hooked up with chain restaurants.

Think of the economics of a small (1/6 of a barrel) keg of beer. It holds 40 pints. The brewery can sell it to a bar for $60.00 or pour out the pints in their own establishment for $200.00 or more. That's only selling it at $5.00/pint. Many craft beers are $6.00 or $7.00. Breweries are very expensive businesses to start. Selling some of their beer retail is one way they have found to get dollars coming in soon after they open. It seems to work. We've got over 2 dozen breweries in the state now. I think we'll see another brewery or two in the Charleston area sometime.

They have to have food to keep people sitting there ordering beer after beer after beer. They are turning the breweries into places that the young crowd likes to frequent.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:09 AM

652 posts, read 749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
That may be your personal experience but that is not what the various industry groups have determined. The ~25 year old demographic cares about 2 things: convenience and the perception of healthy eating. ALL of the casuals except one are failing and that exception is Olive Garden. Odd, because you specifically stated you hated frozen pasta boiled in a bag - exactly how Olive Garden cooks.

The big winners have been fast food establishments from MacDonald's to Chipotle to Five Guys and In and Out. But the biggest gainer for ~25 year old money is the box meal that shipped to a residence or ANY restaurant that delivers, even if it isn't healthy seeming.

My take from this is slightly critical. The young adult crowd is just lazy and unaware that a meal out is more than about the food. But, when I do see this group out and there are 3 or 4 or even couple more at a table, they are all on their phones. They fail to connect at all levels, including with the establishment. No wonder they don't go out, they do not understand the art of dining and sociability.
You just shifted the goal posts from <35 to <25. Regardless, I couldn't disagree more with your statement, as someone who works with a majority of under 30 year olds who turn up their nose at the idea of a McDonalds meal. With their finances strained by housing costs, they are not going to waste money out on a crappy meal.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Here is the "official Facebook notification" of the former TGIF building's new use.

FC Alliance SouthLike Page
23 mins ·
Release: ROCAS - New Official Mexican Resturant of FC Alliance

Excited to spread the word that Rocas Mexican Grill is coming to Charleston and will be located very close to one of our game and training sites! **The old TGI Fridays, Southridge**

Rocas offers fantastic food and exceptional service. The next time you are in the mood for Mexican please visit a Rocas Grill!

*FCA family discounts to be announced

Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
You just shifted the goal posts from <35 to <25. Regardless, I couldn't disagree more with your statement, as someone who works with a majority of under 30 year olds who turn up their nose at the idea of a McDonalds meal. With their finances strained by housing costs, they are not going to waste money out on a crappy meal.

You might avail yourself of the opportunity to go back and read post 726. I did not move the goal post, but perhaps that level of thought was lost on you. It happens.

I am aware that you disagree with my post but you make the error in assuming it is my opinion. I happy to agree with the statement(s) but it is taken from industry studies. I think you are making one of a couple possible mistakes. The I-am-the-center-of-the-universe syndrome. You feel that if it is happening to you, it is happening to everyone. Hardly. The other possibility is that you are provincial. You see the world through the limited scope of your personal existence, which in some ways is similar to the first syndrome but in this case, you see beyond yourself, but only a bit. When your experience is static and local, it is an error to assume that world is static and local. West Virginia is a fringe locale, anything happening here, happened else where a long time ago.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:40 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Anyone know what’s being built in Saint Albans at the C&O used car site. Could this be Moses Building a new showroom, or something else? Whatever it will be, it will have a fairly large footprint.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Anyone know what’s being built in Saint Albans at the C&O used car site. Could this be Moses Building a new showroom, or something else? Whatever it will be, it will have a fairly large footprint.
Yes, Moses is expanding and they even purchased adjacent land to that as well. Soon they will have a massive presence on both sides of McCorkle Ave.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
How many car lots do we need? We only have 1.8 million people in the state...

Old 10-12-2018, 05:27 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Yes, Moses is expanding and they even purchased adjacent land to that as well. Soon they will have a massive presence on both sides of McCorkle Ave.
That sounds about right. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston