Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 03:26 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Still waiting to see the "new to WV" entities to be announced.
As am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 09:28 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Well, it looks like Kroger is going to take the biggest piece of real estate at the Park Place development.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/kroger-p...th-charleston/

We had heard a rumor earlier that Kroger would build there and shut down both the Riverwalk and Dunbar locations.

So far, I am completely underwhelmed with what is going on there. Fast food chains and a new grocery store are not the major new businesses they promised us when they bought the property.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, it looks like Kroger is going to take the biggest piece of real estate at the Park Place development.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/kroger-p...th-charleston/

We had heard a rumor earlier that Kroger would build there and shut down both the Riverwalk and Dunbar locations.

So far, I am completely underwhelmed with what is going on there. Fast food chains and a new grocery store are not the major new businesses they promised us when they bought the property.
Can't say I'm surprised. But like you, I believe that it's underwhelming and not what was hyped up by Mayor Mullins. Technically Kroger Marketplace would be a new concept for WV, but let's be real. It's just a Kroger with some other items.

On a positive note. It's great that Kroger continues to invest in the Kanawha Valley. It's sad that the Valley will be losing a location (Dunbar), but overall this store will be far nicer than either Riverwalk or Dunbar.

Edit:

So after looking at the picture WOWK provided, I can see that some of the other logos have been blurred out. Those of course are the ones that haven't been announced yet. One in particular looks like a Ross logo. No surprise there, but also not a first in the state. Beside that, I can faintly make out an Academy Sports logo. Also not a first in the state. There's a yellowish blur closer to the highway that I can't make out, but it's going to be much smaller.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:41 AM

https://wchstv.com/news/local/south-...r-marketplace#

According to this article, it looks like there will be a good bit of construction next summer.

Quote:
Anywhere between 20 to 26 stores will be built at the Park Plaza Shopping Center and most of those will undergo construction all at once--this upcoming summer, including the new Kroger Marketplace.
Mullins is still claiming that the majority of them will be "new to state". It's not looking too good for that.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 11-08-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-09-2023, 07:53 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Mullins might need to get out more. Another example of the myopic vision of Kanawha County leadership that has no clue what’s happening not just outside the state but inside as well. I seriously wonder if Charleston can support a Menard’s, Home Depot and 2 to 3 Lowes depending on how you look at it?

Old 11-09-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Mullins might need to get out more. Another example of the myopic vision of Kanawha County leadership that has no clue what’s happening not just outside the state but inside as well. I seriously wonder if Charleston can support a Menard’s, Home Depot and 2 to 3 Lowes depending on how you look at it?
100% agree!

For whatever reason, the KV has always settled for less than stellar things. I don't know if it's a lack of vision for what could be, or a lack of awareness for what exists in other places. As a result, Charleston will continue to settle for the bare minimum.

When is the last time that something truly impressive, unique, or high quality was built in the KV? The Town Center?

Old 11-09-2023, 09:59 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
100% agree!

For whatever reason, the KV has always settled for less than stellar things. I don't know if it's a lack of vision for what could be, or a lack of awareness for what exists in other places. As a result, Charleston will continue to settle for the bare minimum.

When is the last time that something truly impressive, unique, or high quality was built in the KV? The Town Center?

Maybe the Clay Center if that counts. Charleston almost completely lost out on the early to mid 80's mall craze getting the CTC at the end of 83 and the Kanawha Mall in 84. Meanwhile Parkersburg, Beckley and SA all had malls in the 70's.

Charleston is like a bad thought-bubble and I'm glad I left it but it's still bittersweet. It's just not a place that thinks outside the box and it's paying a terrible price.

Right now Charleston doesn't even have a class B upscale type retailer like a Macy's or Belk while all the surrounding mall cities within an hour or so have those. How does this happen because it shouldn't have?

I think all Charleston cared about for years was staying ahead of Huntington and had no clue what was happening in surrounding states and comparable cities and kept electing people of either party that had no real interest or motivation to really improve things. All that coal and chemical money was an ether.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Maybe the Clay Center if that counts. Charleston almost completely lost out on the early to mid 80's mall craze getting the CTC at the end of 83 and the Kanawha Mall in 84. Meanwhile Parkersburg, Beckley and SA all had malls in the 70's.

Charleston is like a bad thought-bubble and I'm glad I left it but it's still bittersweet. It's just not a place that thinks outside the box and it's paying a terrible price.

Right now Charleston doesn't even have a class B upscale type retailer like a Macy's or Belk while all the surrounding mall cities within an hour or so have those. How does this happen because it shouldn't have?

I think all Charleston cared about for years was staying ahead of Huntington and had no clue what was happening in surrounding states and comparable cities and kept electing people of either party that had no real interest or motivation to really improve things. All that coal and chemical money was an ether.
And look how that turned out. Huntington seems to be doing just fine.

IMO, Charleston has all the factors of a city that at the bare minimum can maintain a healthy economy. State Gov., giant healthcare provider, a couple universities (albeit smaller ones), 3 interstates, decent airport, a build up downtown, charm, navigable river, etc... it should have grown into a decent sized city. I know the terrain is not helpful, but Pittsburgh didn't seem to mind the terrain challenge.

To your point, Charleston is always the last to get anything! Why is that? Even stupid chains choose other cities in WV first over Charleston. It's weird.

I will accept the Clay Center as an answer. It is certainly a quality addition to the region, and something unique to WV.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,526 times
Anyone know when Starbucks is supposed to open in Park Place?

Old 03-04-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubber_ View Post
Anyone know when Starbucks is supposed to open in Park Place?
I ad originally heard February, but that ship has sailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston