Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 03:08 PM

456 posts, read 602,505 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, they do attract something but I would bet it will mostly be stores leaving the mall and not new things coming into the area except Menards. Huntington's metro estimates for 2019 are 353,873 down 4.05% from 2010 and Charleston's is 257,054 down 7.53% from 2010. Combined they do look more attractive at a combined 610,927. Unfortunately with neither metro stopping the population bleeding there are many more attractive growing areas to look at first. We seem to keep electing the same people and allowing nothing to change both on the state and local level. West Virginia is the only state to lose population since 1950. We had 2,005,552 in 150. In 2010 we had 1,852,994 down 152,558. That is more than Huntington, Charleston, Morgantown, and Parkersburg's population together are now. It doesn't matter which party has been in charge in this state none have done anything to correct our loss of jobs and few have done anything to attract new jobs. 2019 estimates are 1,795,263 which in just the last 9 years is a loss of 57,721. It's time to start electing people with new ideas and fresh views and to get out anyone that has been in office for more than a few years that does nothing. So far I see little from Charleston's leadership but Huntington does seem to be making strides. Let's hope this shopping center doesn't affect others but instead new choices are brought to strengthen the local market. The 5 or 6 largest cities have to make strides if the state, in general, is going to see any revival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 05:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
True, but Augusta also merged with surrounding Richmond County in the 90s to create that city population close to 200k. In the 1990 census it had 44k residents after decades of declines. Now granted their metro area is about 600k but if you combine the Charleston- Huntington corridor you could get close to that. I like the mini Top Golf concept.
As I stated, I think it would work well in this development.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:09 AM

Yesterday, I posted on the Huntington page that Tanyard Station, the sister project to Park Place if you will, is now promoting the next business to debut on the property. An indoor climate-controlled building.

Given that news, along with all of the unfulfilled promises by the developer, I wouldn't get my hopes too high for what businesses might land at Park Place. As it was discussed in earlier posts on this thread, retail driven development is an outdated concept and one that won't help this project. I do hope that the city of South Charleston and the Village of Barboursville kept their original receipt for these projects.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Yesterday, I posted on the Huntington page that Tanyard Station, the sister project to Park Place if you will, is now promoting the next business to debut on the property. An indoor climate-controlled building.

Given that news, along with all of the unfulfilled promises by the developer, I wouldn't get my hopes too high for what businesses might land at Park Place. As it was discussed in earlier posts on this thread, retail driven development is an outdated concept and one that won't help this project. I do hope that the city of South Charleston and the Village of Barboursville kept their original receipt for these projects.
That is unfortunate for Tanyard Station, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was built here. I am hoping that the area is able to at least get a few brands of restaurants or stores that are currently MIA from the area. This certainly won't be development that will bring in high end retail or dining options, and I doubt that there will be any "first in the state" type businesses like Trader Joe's or REI. At this point, I'm just glad that the land will finally be utilized for something. Economically it is simply unrealistic to ask companies that currently don't have a footprint in the area to take a risk on a county that continues to lose population.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:28 AM

https://wchstv.com/news/local/south-...nt-on-schedule

Looks like things are still moving forward as planned and on schedule. Mayor Mullins also seems confident that a large portion of the tenants at the development will be "first in the state". I am not so confident, but we will see I suppose. They have been doing a good job doing infill recently.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:20 PM

We've heard the "First in the state" line before. In fact, the Barboursville mayor said the same thing about all the tenants coming to Tanyard Station. We see how that's turned out.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
We've heard the "First in the state" line before. In fact, the Barboursville mayor said the same thing about all the tenants coming to Tanyard Station. We see how that's turned out.
Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Over promise and under deliver!

Old 07-21-2021, 09:28 PM

Kind of random, but Chick-fil-A is the first announcements tenant for Park Place. The owner of the Southridge one will also own this one. It’s not a surprise, but would rather hear a big announcement.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/new-ch...uth-charleston

Old 01-13-2022, 04:39 AM

16,668 posts, read 15,663,359 times
A few weeks ago, Mayor Mullins said that the Park Place developer has found another source for the fill dirt needed to level up the space. Huge amounts of dirt are being moved into the area and spread out in some kind of organized fashion.

Huge drain pipes were installed before the pond was filled in.

The Cambridge Building has been torn down and the land leveled off. The Prestera Center is all that is left standing on the corner of the property. Oddly enough, they left the Cambridge sign.

I've heard that there will be a Menard's in the shopping center.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A few weeks ago, Mayor Mullins said that the Park Place developer has found another source for the fill dirt needed to level up the space. Huge amounts of dirt are being moved into the area and spread out in some kind of organized fashion.

Huge drain pipes were installed before the pond was filled in.

The Cambridge Building has been torn down and the land leveled off. The Prestera Center is all that is left standing on the corner of the property. Oddly enough, they left the Cambridge sign.

I've heard that there will be a Menard's in the shopping center.
I think the Menards was almost a given considering this same company has attracted them to both there Morgantown and Barboursville developments. There site plan (although has changed several times, has also consistently shown a Menards occupying the back left corner of the property.

I would hope that Prestera would find a new home as well, and that site could also be developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston