Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I've been here for five years now and it has snowed a little bit each year. They are light snows, sometimes just a dusting, and they will usually only stick until noon or so the following day. It gets chilly here in the winter, but I wouldn't describe it as cold. Typically it's either nice and mild or just a little crisp. If you like cool weather, Charlotte is probably not the place for you.

Cue jp03 with weather comments...
Oh I just saw your comment...am I getting a rep??? oh no... hahha... oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
I put up a photo essay of Charlotte winters...

you can see my take here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...r-weather.html

Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Pretty accurate depiction.

Snow can vary depending on the side of city you live in.
Some areas will get more while other areas will get none .
Ice is more common occurrence than snow.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
Thanks everyone! So it seems it does snow every winter, it's just an inch or so and it melts the next day? That doesn't sound like my kind of weather, although at least it snows. The excitement of it snowing and watching it fall is the best part to me, I guess I wouldn't mind it too much if it was gone the next day? Hmm...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
P.S. Thanks so much for the photo essay of Charlotte winters!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You will hate it..don't move I mean this sincerely...I miss the snow EVERY year.
Right on cue...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
Thanks everyone! So it seems it does snow every winter, it's just an inch or so and it melts the next day? That doesn't sound like my kind of weather, although at least it snows. The excitement of it snowing and watching it fall is the best part to me, I guess I wouldn't mind it too much if it was gone the next day? Hmm...
On average Charlotte gets about 6 inches, give or take, a year.

Enough to be fun, not enough to be a pain in the butt

Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
The only problem with the snow in Clt is that it's much like rain in SoCal - everyone all of a sudden forgets how to drive.
I'm from wayyyy north, and I try to avoid driving because I'm afraid of being hit by someone who isn't comfortable with those driving conditions.
Doesn't sound like you'd be one of those people

Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
Thanks everyone! So it seems it does snow every winter, it's just an inch or so and it melts the next day? ...
No it doesn't. I've been here over 3 decades and have seen some very warm winters in Charlotte. We can and have gone several years with absolutely no snow at all. In fact, I've see it so warm here in January and February, that even the NC Ski Resorts in the mountains west of here had to close because all the snow melted and it was too warm to make it. It can be quite warm and dry here in the winter. There was one winter that I remember where the highs in January and February stayed in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

On average snow is a pretty rare item in Charlotte.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
No it doesn't. I've been here over 3 decades and have seen some very warm winters in Charlotte. We can and have gone several years with absolutely no snow at all. In fact, I've see it so warm here in January and February, that even the NC Ski Resorts in the mountains west of here had to close because all the snow melted and it was too warm to make it. It can be quite warm and dry here in the winter. There was one winter that I remember where the highs in January and February stayed in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

On average snow is a pretty rare item in Charlotte.
Charlotte averages about 6 inches of snow a year. I have been here 4 years now and have seen snow every year..

Now snow STORMS of 6 inches or more are very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte