Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times

Advertisements

Park your car there before he comes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM

31 posts, read 56,537 times
Some communitys your are not allowed overnight parking in the streets or blocking a neighbors mailbox. i had one rude neighbor park his truck at night in front of my mailbox and leaking oil. rude. yes he was southern.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
What the hell has being southern got to do with it?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 46,299 times
I've been a lurker here for a while and thought I might post a little of what I know of the law with parking.
Is the house the person is visiting in an intersection or near a stop sign? A fire hydrant? I noticed in another thread you said you lived in Olde Providence (or am I confused?) and I visited a house in that neighborhood once or twice a month about a year ago and the vacant space in the driveway was where the man's wife parked so we parked as close as we could without blocking a driveway/mailbox/hydrant and the woman that lived there came out and yelled at us for parking in front of her house, so please don't do that to the girl's boyfriend

Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
I have not read all the responses here (and boy, who would have thought that this question would generate SO much interest!) so this may have been suggested in which case I apologive. Anyway...

Why not park your car in front of your house and 'stake your claim' so to speak?
I agree that it is not illegal. However, if there is another place to park not too far from the home they are visiting it would be more considerate for the visitor to park elsewhere at least some of the time.

Taben

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
UPDATE: Just to clarify...the 2 cars belong to a teenage daughter and her boyfriend. Each parent has a car, but they both fit in the garage. There is nothing in their driveway each night. Our yard connects but their piece is about 4 feet and the rest is my entire front yard. I am sure they think that they have the right to park in 'their yard', even though 2 cars are longer than 4 feet. They also like to line their bags of grass along there in the fall. They do have driveways across the street from their house. But I also have cars parked across from my driveway from the neighbor across the street--so why shouldn't they? It can be tough to get around out there.
The straw that broke the camels back was on Saturday there were THREE cars parked in front of my house {and none in front of the neighbor's} and 2 parked across the street. {so 5 cars in front of my house} Also, the BF's car was parked IN my grass and the grass was wet. So now I have tire marks in my yard.
SO...I decided to park in front of my own house. If that doesn't work, I will ask them why they park there. I promise I won't run out there and yell at them, nor will I harm anyone's car or tires. I just want to look out my window and not see cars.
Thanks for all of your support! Who knew?!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
You could try petitioning the city to put a handicap space in front of your house...

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
UPDATE: Just to clarify...the 2 cars belong to a teenage daughter and her boyfriend. Each parent has a car, but they both fit in the garage. There is nothing in their driveway each night. Our yard connects but their piece is about 4 feet and the rest is my entire front yard. I am sure they think that they have the right to park in 'their yard', even though 2 cars are longer than 4 feet. They also like to line their bags of grass along there in the fall. They do have driveways across the street from their house. But I also have cars parked across from my driveway from the neighbor across the street--so why shouldn't they? It can be tough to get around out there.
The straw that broke the camels back was on Saturday there were THREE cars parked in front of my house {and none in front of the neighbor's} and 2 parked across the street. {so 5 cars in front of my house} Also, the BF's car was parked IN my grass and the grass was wet. So now I have tire marks in my yard.
SO...I decided to park in front of my own house. If that doesn't work, I will ask them why they park there. I promise I won't run out there and yell at them, nor will I harm anyone's car or tires. I just want to look out my window and not see cars.
Thanks for all of your support! Who knew?!

Are these parents letting the boyfriend live there or what?? That is RIDICULOUS that the kid would always be parked there, but especially if he doesn't even live there officially.

I do agree your best solution is to just park in front of your own house to prevent them from being able to. Let it go on a few weeks and maybe they'll figure out they should be using their own driveway

But honestly, I would so be over there complaining about the tire marks in my grass and using that as an opener to asking them to stop parking in front of your house.

Best of luck! And keep us posted...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM

35 posts, read 68,243 times
So wait....all of this is so you can look out your window and not see cars parked on the street?

You should have politely walked over when you discovered that they parked on your grass now that is rude.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens85 View Post
So wait....all of this is so you can look out your window and not see cars parked on the street?

You should have politely walked over when you discovered that they parked on your grass now that is rude.
I guess we all have different definitions of rude as well as different desires for where/how we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte