Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
they are grade school kids and it is no where near every day. Its once in a while and sometimes our childs friends sit w/us too.....

Guess we'll agree to disagree that its a bad thing.....
Coupon, I really appreciate your civil, honest responses, especially about something you clearly feel passionately about. That to me says more about you as a parent and role model than visiting your kids during lunch...

Anyway, I do agree w/Sundaydrive that volunteering is wonderful, but hanging out during peer social time is weird - to me. I feel like it's all about attention, attention, and more attention, for both the parent and the child. Kids are getting more spoiled and having a greater sense of entitlement every year, and it seems like little things add up to make this so. I'm not saying having lunch w/your kid twice a year is making them obnoxious, but I know there are parents who come in at least once a week, and their kids suck, plain and simple.

I'll agree to disagree w/you, although not that it's necessarily a "bad thing", just strange, for me. I hope that makes sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,484 times
I agree with Coastal, but I will say that a lot of it depends on the motives of the parents. Some parents come to school to stir the pot...observing friends, teachers, the school, etc. and then go back and gossip about what they saw. Also, some parents come for show, bring lunch from a fast food restaurant, get the children all riled up because they want to look like the cool parent, etc. and then it takes a long time for the teacher to get the children focused on what they are at school for....to learn.

Coming once or twice a year is completely different from coming to lunch every single week. And usually those 2 groups of children are very different, and not in a good way.

There is just not an easy answer. Teachers and school staff are responsible for the safety of the students at school. They take that very seriously. There are some really sick people out there and it is their job to protect the kids. Isn't it worth filling out some paperwork and being inconvenienced a little bit to know that your child is safer at school?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Its a small step from a background check to a school deciding if a parent is a "fit" parent. Time will tell I suppose.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Background checks do not necessarily = immigration checks. The magistrates in Charlotte have been known to run criminal background checks at the courthouse for those getting married by them INCLUDING the witnesses without telling anyone ahead of time.
My point is HOW can they "check" a background that isnt there? If they cant do this the plan cant work...Anyone can check the sex crime statistics of people who have entered into our society with no documentation to see my well made point. Im not talking about catching illegal aliens. Im talking about doing legitament background checks ON EVERY PARENT who shows up at the school......

Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 AM

27 posts, read 97,735 times
There are wonderful parents who regrettably made mistakes in the past and would not be allowed in school if background check were done. Its sad for the child, but we need to protect our students! There are many other ways to interact/help with your child's teacher & student without background check!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM

385 posts, read 890,406 times
Agree background checks are probably over the top, but unfortunately its a natural reaction to the crap the schools have deal with these days from society.

On my wife's list of students there are several notes of who is allowed to see what kid and more importantly who isn't. There are of course the restraining orders against spouses which I've seen more than a few the last few years. However, even worse are the civil disputes from ongoing separations/divorces. It's absolutely ridiculous how many times our educators have to referee these disputes ON SCHOOL GROUNDS!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,777 times
I can understand this if the parent wants to have lunch with the kid, while sitting with the other kids. From what I understand, this is not required if you are willing to have lunch in a separate space without access to the other children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte