Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 AM

27 posts, read 97,779 times

Advertisements

We live in a 'nice' suburb in Mint Hill. There is an abandoned vehicle with expired tags and hasn't moved in two years parked on street. Can't call 311 out here (EVEN THOUGH WE PAY CITY/COUNTY TAXES). Who would I call to get this vehicle removed? The MH police? MH code enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Is it owned by one of your neighbors? That is what you need to first determine.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM

27 posts, read 97,779 times
I have no idea. Its parked on a stretch of street btn homes.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson123 View Post
I have no idea. Its parked on a stretch of street btn homes.
Not sure I understand - street between homes? Could it be one of the nearby homeowner's car? Have you asked the nearby homeowners if it is theirs or if they know whose it is? Looks like one of them would have reported the vehicle if it isn't theirs.

But maybe I am not envisioning this right . . . and the car is off to itself with empty lots around it and is truly a junker that someone just walked off from (or stole and abandoned).

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
I don't think it really matters.

If it is on a public street and the tags are expired it needs to be removed.

I would call the police for that jurisdiction and let them determine who the owner is and how it is to be removed.

Simple enough.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Is it parked in front of your house?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
I don't think it really matters.

If it is on a public street and the tags are expired it needs to be removed.

I would call the police for that jurisdiction and let them determine who the owner is and how it is to be removed.

Simple enough.
If it is a neighbor's car and parked near their home, I would hope someone would discuss that with the owner rather than having it hauled off, especially if it is parked at the neighbors property. From the description of where it is located, we really don't know that this isn't the situation.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If it is a neighbor's car and parked near their home, I would hope someone would discuss that with the owner rather than having it hauled off, especially if it is parked at the neighbors property. From the description of where it is located, we really don't know that this isn't the situation.
As well as the poster never stated that it was. And it is not their job to go out and canvass the neighborhood to find out if they don't wish to do so.

By all means, if you know the owner, ask them about it. You may or may not get a correct answer from them and you might even get treated as someone that can't mind their own business. We don't all have neighbors that are understand about our concerns.

There is nothing wrong in calling the police. A car that has a expired registration sitting on the street has no insurance on it and should not be there.

Calling the police does not bring a stigma upon the owner. The police will determine who owns the vehicle and ask that it be removed from the public street. They just don't haul it off without at least contacting the owner especially if it is a neighbor. I don't see the difficulty in doing this nor do I understand why getting the police involved would bring negative reactions against the caller. This is just one of the many services provided by law enforcement.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
As well as the poster never stated that it was. And it is not their job to go out and canvass the neighborhood to find out if they don't wish to do so.

By all means, if you know the owner, ask them about it. You may or may not get a correct answer from them and you might even get treated as someone that can't mind their own business. We don't all have neighbors that are understand about our concerns.

There is nothing wrong in calling the police. A car that has a expired registration sitting on the street has no insurance on it and should not be there.

Calling the police does not bring a stigma upon the owner. The police will determine who owns the vehicle and ask that it be removed from the public street. They just don't haul it off without at least contacting the owner especially if it is a neighbor. I don't see the difficulty in doing this nor do I understand why getting the police involved would bring negative reactions against the caller. This is just one of the many services provided by law enforcement.
Well, I guess you set me straight, lol!

If the car isn't bothering the people whose property it is parked next to - then I would say the interferring person is the one who makes the big deal about it.

I know of a situation where a car is parked on the side of someone's house (at the road) - residential neighborhood. It is their son's car. He is serving in Afghanistan and the license tag is expired.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Local law enforcement should not waste their time and resources trying to find out who a car belongs to that has been sitting there for TWO years. They have better things to do. If it has been there this long, why the concern now, that is what doesn't make sense?

Do they have a HOA? If so, have them step up and have it taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte