Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
The N&O reports that 30 percent of North Carolina residents have received at least one prescription for a drug on the list of controlled substances that appear on the database.
But the paper reports that the database isn't even fully functional yet: Only about 20 percent of the state's doctors have registered to use it, and only about 10 percent of the state's pharmacies are registered.
Yup, and LEO wants to add more things to be tracked to that database. I think it is unethical for any pharmacy or doctor to give out this data without at least telling you before hand.

I bet more than 70% of NC residents have no idea that database exists.

But don't worry folks, it's there to help us. Nothing to worry about. Trust your government and you'll be just fine. No questions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 AM

337 posts, read 663,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I would say that the trooper created suspicion, and created a tense situation.

If the OP was acting funny then the trooper should have them exit the car and do a sobriety test. THEN if the person is determined not to be sober arrest them and check out the pills.

The pills by themselves have no bearing. It doesn't matter what they are, or who they are prescribed to. The facts of the pills does not make the person sober or not DWI.

I respect law enforcement but if the facts presented here are true then the officer wasn't doing their job. They were breaking the law.

I would have escalated it much much further.

Just a few weeks ago I had two Meck. deputies come at me in a public restaurant downtown. The came inside along with a security guard to inform me that I couldn't park where I did unless I was going to the restaurant that all four of us were standing in.

This shook me up pretty bad. I was on a business cold call and that sure isn't a good way to make an impression on someone. But I stood my ground, asked if I was being detained and then asked them to go over the facts with me again since I was standing in the place (literally inside) that I was parked in a reserved parking spot for. They had to leave to regroup their thoughts.

Ends up the security guard was mad at me because he asked to see my ID and I told him "not for this you don't".

So games are played. Rights are trampled. But by the time I got done with that guard (I have Meck's chief of security on speed dial) his day ended up worse than mine.

So, respect yes. But if they are stepping out of line, try to hold firm because the more times we as a people cave collectively, the more the ones that abuse power will do so.

While the vast majority of cops are good people, there are some that sign up for the power surge that badge and gun give them.

It's about checks and balances.
I guess this is where my issues come from is that for LE there is little to no check's and balances. If they were doing there job right then Id never have an issue. Heck I don't even know if he did anything wrong, I posted here to vent, cause the situation didn't feel right, I could very well find out today that he was doing things above board, which will blow my mind that they can just see something they want in your car and take it or in this case force you to give it to you, as I stated previously, I have a sneaking suspicion that since he wouldn't take the meds himself out the car, and continued to tell me to do so, even though he threatended me w/ taking me out the car, my feeling is it will fall on me voluntarily giving them to him, that I probrably didn't have to do it but hey in my mind if that's the case this is where the abuse comes into play cause as citizens we don't nor are we supposed to know all our rights, it' s assumed that the cops will do the right thing, which we know isn't always the case.

As I said when he realized I was above board he calmed down extended his hand, thanked me for my service etc etc, but in my world it doesnt' make up for you just raping my rights on the side of the road.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Yup, and LEO wants to add more things to be tracked to that database. I think it is unethical for any pharmacy or doctor to give out this data without at least telling you before hand.

I bet more than 70% of NC residents have no idea that database exists.

But don't worry folks, it's there to help us. Nothing to worry about. Trust your government and you'll be just fine. No questions please!
In 2003 when i left the hospital I recall hearing things about the war that were untrue, I saw enlisted people being thrown in jail for things their superiors were ordering them to do, yet the Superiors still roam free. That's when I lost all respect and hope for government, well that was until the last election, which I voted for change, somehow I'm still waiting for all that promised change! LOL!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
The thing is you opened the door to the questioning when you allowed him to look at the bottle. He can ask all he want, that doesn't mean you have to say yes. Then again I guess he could the say you were acting strange and use that as probable cause to demand it. As always you have "the right to remain silent"

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

171 posts, read 317,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

A police officer has the right to ask you whatever he/she wishes. .
Not in the official capacity as a representative of the police. You have been disproven in any case as you can't provide anything to backup your statements. It really doesn't matter how many times you repeat it. (well.... maybe it does to the people in the same room with you)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The thing is you opened the door to the questioning when you allowed him to look at the bottle. He can ask all he want, that doesn't mean you have to say yes. Then again I guess he could the say you were acting strange and use that as probable cause to demand it. As always you have "the right to remain silent"
But they don't have the right to ask you the same question once you refuse. That would defeat the protection and there's already a severe balance of power considering that gun and power to arrest.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
Not in the official capacity as a representative of the police. You have been disproven in any case as you can't provide anything to backup your statements. It really doesn't matter how many times you repeat it. (well.... maybe it does to the people in the same room with you)

If it doesn't matter then why do you keep addressing it? Seems as though you are the one trying to debunk it.......not I. I have given you proof, it is called probable cause. Period.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
But they don't have the right to ask you the same question once you refuse. That would defeat the protection and there's already a severe balance of power considering that gun and power to arrest.
Game Set Match! My Point exactly! He has all the power, while I respect the fact he's in a vulnerable situation, he at no point pulled me for possible DUI/DWI, and my question has and will always be just because something is in plain view does that mean he can TELL ME TO GIVE IT TO HIM, WHEN I SAY NOPE! And He then tells me "Do you want me to get u out the car" at that point it's a threat, or at the very least it's a reminder that he's in control and as I stated he has the gun, and if I continued to asert my rights we all know there would've been other cops arive at which point I'd've been beat down and taken to jail, for what speeding!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
So I guess in your way of thinking if Im walking down the street and I trip over a curb and a cop see's me then tha't is probable cause to stop talk and search me for being under the influence?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Default Update!

Met w/ one law firm today who bascially told me that they can't help me w/ the speeding ticket, and referred me to another atty to help me out, when I asked if the behavior was legal/OK/right etc. He shrugged and said "I just don't know if there is anything you can do about it" I explained I'm only wanting to find out if what took place was legal or not, he said "If everything happened the way you explained that it did, and you have to remember the Officer will almost always have a different version than a complaintant, but his behavior sounded questionable he said, but not criminal in his mind, and that doesn't mean someone can't show you were not violated though, but his viewing of your meds should've been just to determine if you were under the influence, never should've asked nor should you have answered questions about why you were taking it etc, etc"

I think someone posted here yesterday that I should've just remained silent, and when I told the law office that he informed me, "Yeah that's your right to do that but in most cases LE will take, you not being forth coming as being uncooperative, and that in of it's self could lead them to take you to jail".

As I've stated here before I'm not saying the officer was wrong, it sure felt invasive, if I find out he was right, then that just goes to show you people how much of our rights are being stripped away from us, without you ever knowing it

I'll update on a separte blog when ever I meet the new atty's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte