Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,427,227 times

Advertisements

Take this with a grain of salt for now, but this morning's computer models say central North Carolina is about to get socked with crippling weekend snowstorm that could shut the state down for days. It's still early, but it would be wise to start preparing if computer models are singing the same storm by Thursday morning. Snow shovels are already flying off shelves in Raleigh, according to reports.

Folks, this potential snowstorm would cripple some major hubs like Charlote, DCA, and RDU. Thankfully for those who travel on Christmas Eve, all would be fine, but your stay may be a bit longer than your hosts would want it to be.

See link to see discussion of developing weather story.....

Christmas Storm III - The American Weather Forums - Page 45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
why did you use the word cripple in the title a white Christmas is a good thing

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM

A Pennsylvania meteorologist on Accuweather Board says this this morning:

"Roughly follow I95 through NC. Everything West is all snow (with right along I95 having some precip issues) and East is heavy rain to heavy snow.

2" worth.

The state is just decimated. If this run would verify...I'm not positive of top NC snow storms but I imagine this would make the top 2. Just an historic Southern Mid Atlantic storm."

Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think it is a good thing, but the fact is that a huge snowstorm will shut the state down on Sunday, Monday, possibly beyond if computer models are correct. People planning to leave Christmas destinations during that period would be frozen in place. Moreover, utilities could be in jeopardy during extreme conditions.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,590 times
By just forecasting it....think of how many gallons of milk and loaves of bread the supermarkets can sell!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,149 times
Great, I was hoping to see more Brad Panovich, Chief Meterologist for the Firt Warning Storm Team breaking into tv coverage avery 2 minutes this weekend

Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Great, I was hoping to see more Brad Panovich, Chief Meterologist for the Firt Warning Storm Team breaking into tv coverage avery 2 minutes this weekend
Nothing is more entertaining than those 2 from WSOC, Aherns and Edlman(?). Even a REMOTE possibility of a scattering of snow gets them as giddy as a 10 yo walking into Disney for the first time. It becomes a all hands on deck operation where both seek out equal face time during the 'Weather Emergency'. They seem to relish the thought of being saviors to people who may need to navigate intermediate snowflakes during their normal course of business. And something tells me they wait for the back-slaps from the rest of the news 'team' for a job well done when the broadcast ends.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say because it is an appropriate description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
You could always watch the Star Wars marathon on Spike.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A Pennsylvania meteorologist on Accuweather Board says this this morning:

"Roughly follow I95 through NC. Everything West is all snow (with right along I95 having some precip issues) and East is heavy rain to heavy snow.

2" worth.

The state is just decimated. If this run would verify...I'm not positive of top NC snow storms but I imagine this would make the top 2. Just an historic Southern Mid Atlantic storm."

Are we talking 2" INCHES (double quote) or is that 2' FEET (single quote)?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Ummm, my forecasts show absolutely no snow for Charlotte, only rain. And the only portion suggested to get a mix of snow and rain is statesville. I'm all for a white Christmas, but not all for the 8 people who I was only expecting to stay 2 nights!! Well, I'll cross my fingers but wont hold my breath. I have seen forecasts that said Union county was supposed to get snow and I havent seen a single flake... well ok maybe a flake or two, but for this Floridian thats just a tease! Let is snow, elti t snow, let it snoooow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte