Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times

Advertisements

I don't mind recording my calls and playing them over the school speaker system, I just do not want to have to coordinate with another person to be there when I have a few precious seconds to make a call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,551,298 times
Any calls that are made on company time, including e-mail are not considered priviledged.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM

189 posts, read 374,614 times
At first, I thought the issue was a teacher having another person listen in on a conversation with a parent. I was going to defend that, as I have had to do that on a few occasions with a parent who was [a royal pain in the butt] a bit unbalanced and less than honest.

But while I realize that technically "a public phone is public", I find that monitoring a phone call that is obviously a personal one is entirely inappropriate. If that teacher was not specifically responsible for students at that moment, it was no one else's business. There are some personal issues that must be taken care of during the day, and it's darn near impossible to pee when you're a teacher, let alone handle those things. Treating an educated, committed professional like this is a sure-fire way to drive away good ones and destroy, as others have indicated, any hope of teacher morale.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,914 times
How does she know her call was monitored? There isn't a switchboard operator. Maybe a bookkeeper or a NCWISE operator, maybe a secretary or two. Is it possible the person that placed the phone down didn't realize it had not hung up? Maybe someone was standing outside her door when she was on the phone? Maybe she told a coworker what was said? People talk. Kids can have phones in school these days, so can the adults. Check school board policy these days... you will see cell phone use is ok. Some teachers use it in conjunction with their kids so they can text replies to the teacher. There are website you can set up Q&A's for people to text to. I'm not trying to be the person to stand up for CMS and say they are always right, but this just sounds very odd. Does the school have VOiP phones? If so, even less likely it happened. As a former cms teacher, there is not an "off duty time" of the day.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
I finally found out what happened. One teacher had sent an email to a student which contained some complaints the teacher had made about the schools administrator. The student then went and gave a copy of the email to the principal . He made a mistake and thought the information was what a student heard when the 2 teachers were on the phone . Thats why he had an issue with the teacher who was at school using the phone. Anyway its all cleared up now. The principal assured the falsely accused teacher that they were not monitoring phones. As far as the teacher who sent the email,she may get in trouble...she forgot that you never ever trust a student with information that can hurt you NEVER

Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
This is a perfect example of why I tell people on here you need to see/hear the FACTS aka 3 sides of a story before you can go nuts on a thread....

btw, that teacher should be penalized for sheer stupidity....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte