Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM

18 posts, read 44,088 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Indiana and have decided to buy in Union County (well, have 95% decided this). Now that we are close to a decision, I need some reassurance from folks that live in the area - I want to make sure that this is really the right decision (and I am a big worry wart!)

We are looking for a quiet, family friendly, very safe area. Our choice is Briarcrest. The quieter, safer, the better. We are very much the typical kid-centric family, to/from sports, involved with school, just looking for an area where we can use walking trails without worry, run into nice people in nearby stores, etc. We really haven't looked at other areas, as we want to be in Union County for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
I don't think anyone can give you a guarantee on crime. Someone was just shot and killed in what is considered one of the most prestigious and safe neighborhoods in Charlotte. You might want to read the topic here about it.

Shocking SE Charlotte shooting

However since you state that you must live in Union county then where you have picked is as good as most any other place around there. That part of union county is an endless succession of culdesac neighborhoods where the only difference is price point. So if you have to live there for the schools, and you like it, then go for it. I don't think you will find anything better.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
What other subdivisions did you look at besides Briarcrest?

and take yantosh's post with a grain of salt... that poster is quickly turning into our resident forum alarmist. WOOP WOOP - look at THIS! Meanwhile I've seen no indication that they even live in or around Charlotte.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 AM

33 posts, read 54,215 times
Might want to read this article that just came out in the newspaper. There is a good possibility of property taxes doubling or even tripling in the near future in Union County. Something to consider going forward. People for a long time moved to Union County for the lower property taxes. Seems things might be changing.

"Higher taxes or more commercial development" - April 26,2011

Higher taxes or more development | Union County Weekly

“This study shows that Union County currently has an 85 percent to 15 percent ratio of residential to commercial tax base,” Brown said. “If this continues, and the county does not increase its tax base through commercial growth then taxes may need to be doubled or perhaps tripled in the next 5 years.”

Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
holy cow! (aimed at a couple of the responses)
I live in Union County and like it and yes I picked it for the schools, I actually picked a school district then picked a subdivision BUT this was after doing this for other regions of the us as my husband and I looked for jobs.

Schools were important because I have a child that will be in high school next year and I wanted a system where the high school would lead to the same type of colleges our last school system did, our second thing was commute my husband had to get to work.

That being said, I like Union County but I knew enough before we moved here that it would work for us. We are in a location not far from much. It is very family focused but many other counties/towns are here. Most subs seems to have quite a few children in them...I walk almost daily, no worries. I allow my kids to walk to the park/basketball/volleyball courts in the sub. It's different here then where we came from but in positive ways. Nice people at stores, really everyone here for the most part is friendly, I think I have had more conversations with people working in the stores than I have anywhere else.

I guess if you think it's for you it probably is...afterall there is a reason you focused where you feel you need to be.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM

210 posts, read 507,871 times
Well, I agree with this poster. We moved here just over a year ago and feel we made the best choice possible of all the surrounding areas of Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
holy cow! (aimed at a couple of the responses)

That being said, I like Union County but I knew enough before we moved here that it would work for us. We are in a location not far from much. It is very family focused but many other counties/towns are here. Most subs seems to have quite a few children in them...I walk almost daily, no worries. I allow my kids to walk to the park/basketball/volleyball courts in the sub. It's different here then where we came from but in positive ways. Nice people at stores, really everyone here for the most part is friendly, I think I have had more conversations with people working in the stores than I have anywhere else.

I guess if you think it's for you it probably is...after all there is a reason you focused where you feel you need to be.
The town leaders are folks who live here and are very focused on the community. Taxes have been stable for awhile, we have a lower sales tax than Mecklenburg, decent services for the taxes we pay, and we are not Charlotte. This county was originally (10 years ago) a more traditional farming community, and you will still find some of that feeling here. Most of our communities here in Indian Trail are on a neighborhood watch, and the local sheriff still patrols. Worst problem here is probably the traffic, which is heavy at rush hour, and longer on Route 74.

We still use County patrols in most of the towns, which cuts costs on police and firefighters. The trash collection, water, natural gas, and electric are all reasonable, and you know more about the schools than I do. I'm not sure about Briarwood, but the neighborhoods in Indian Trail are reasonably safe. But we don't take chances: we park our cars in the garage and keep our garage doors locked. Always did that no matter where I lived, as long as I had a garage.

There may be higher taxes down the road, but Mecklenburg has already had them this year. Don't let alarmists scare you, or you'll live a miserable life. Hope you love your choice like we did.

go to unioncountyweekly.com for our local paper

Last edited by Ragdoll Kitty Lover; 05-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Added website address

Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
I don't think any of us moved to Union County without the knowledge that taxes will have to go up. It's happening everywhere.

As far as commercial development, behind CVS off Tom Short there's a Kohls going up (already underway) that will be anchoring a small strip mall... I've also heard that Waxhaw will be issued liquor license paving the way for more bars and restaurants. It would be nice to see the downtown there expanded a bit.

Anyone know of any other active commercial projects in Union County?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM

33 posts, read 54,215 times
Mikey, Mecklenburg County is trying to remain rate neutral for 2011. Even if the property tax rates do go up it will be nowhere near a double or triple hike of the current rate. You can't be serious if you don't think that getting a tax bill that could possibly be doubled or tripled the current property tax bill you get now within 5 years won't be serious, and effect the housing in Union County.
This tax increase if it happens would be devasting to Union County.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,747 times
Default I am relocating also with my family

Hi! I too am relocating thissummmer with my family to Waxhaw. My kids are Middle School and High School. I too need my nerves calmed. I know this is of no help to you except that you are not alone and I feel a little better reading your post knowing I am not alone.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhousing View Post
Mikey, Mecklenburg County is trying to remain rate neutral for 2011. Even if the property tax rates do go up it will be nowhere near a double or triple hike of the current rate. You can't be serious if you don't think that getting a tax bill that could possibly be doubled or tripled the current property tax bill you get now within 5 years won't be serious, and effect the housing in Union County.
This tax increase if it happens would be devasting to Union County.
Possible for a doubling of a tax hike, yes.

Probable, no.

MikeyKid was spot on. You would be living under a rock if you didn't think taxes would go up. They will. I remember an article from the disturber 3 yrs ago or so saying our taxes would be higher than Meck in 5 yrs. I don't take the paper's prediction w/much seriousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte