Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Epicenter Management would be wiser to have simply stated No Hats, Shoes and Shirt Required, No Exposed Underwear, lol. Enforcing it, however, would be impossible!

Is there a Dress Code at Grand Central Station? I bet not! Why would anyone feel there needs to be one????? lol
I'm sure no one will be enforcing the "no underwear showing" if it's a thong on a attractive woman. Some breaches in the rules well management will suffer through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse things with the fine dining - just trying to point out that certain establishments will enforce certain levels of dress code even in areas where people would typically be dressed well "below" the code.

I grew up with many examples of this through the NY metro and Eastern LI... and it was always inconsistently enforced. Example, you'd have a beach club literally on the ocean and you couldn't get in without shoes and a shirt. Yet, you'd find people in the place without shoes and shirts all over the outside decks and at the bars. The staff inside wouldn't enforce what the guys at the door would be looking for.

I've also seen many variations where certain clubs along Ocean Pkwy started to become "biker hangouts"... They loved to ride along the ocean and come in for drinks / food. So some of the establishments would set dress codes targeting that group to keep them out. Guess what? The bikers would take their business elsewhere.

I'm talking seeing this 10 or 20 years ago all the way to today... This isn't a new concept and places where you'd find alcohol have pretty much always done this type of thing to some extent. There shouldn't be this shock and awe around it.

If we spent our time pointing out inconsistencies with how any policy or rule is applied anywhere - all the way to a law a cop decides to write a summons for vs. times they didn't, we'd go insane. You could probably pick almost anything and provide "proof".

So if this proves the "USA going Insane", we've been headed there since the dark ages.
Yes, have seen the same thing, many times!

I do not think the USA is going Insane, lol. I also think the bikers in your example reacted as I would . . . just go somewhere and spend my money!

I would never have made an issue out of this as did Mr. Agnew. I would have just complied and gone on my way (or refused to patronize Epicentre).

But I am not Mr. Agnew . . .

Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I'm sure no one will be enforcing the "no underwear showing" if it's a thong on a attractive woman. Some breaches in the rules well management will suffer through
ROFL! I wondered if anyone would catch that . . .

Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
This is your opinion that it is was over dramatized. There are others here who think otherwise. I've at least also spent the time to explain why I think so. Maybe you will do the same for your opinion. My beef was with someone who wanted to debate me and not the topic. There is a difference.

Read my last post. I do indeed think the word insanity applies.
Oh, don't get me wrong, the world, not just the US, is absolutely going insane. However, it isn't because we have certain members of society that don't want to confirm to clothing rules and then trespassing laws. There are much bigger fish to fry and the idea that this topic has gotten so much attention (by the disturber, people of Charlotte, this forum, etc) is evidence that the world itself is doomed. I mean seriously, can we work on the murder/drug/serious crime problem than some joke that doesn't know how to wear a hat -- or chooses to wear it in such a way that the venue isn't interested in promoting (and where there are plenty of other places to go spend your $). There is this idealism of using your head....most people have forgotten how.

The movie Idiocracy is a pretty good example of where the world is headed. It mocks just about all of us but right wrong or indifferent there is plenty of truth being told.

Of course, all of this is just IMO --- and we all know what they say about opinions

Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
tripieh, you and I are on the same page. Thanks for responding. The entire point of the OP was to point out the ridiculous response to Mr. Agnew's hat, including the inconsistent enforcement of the epicenter and the very over the top response of the CMPD. Never did I realize that so many people would immediately lose their composure over to the point of providing endless distractions over the real point at hand.

What did surprise me here are the number of people who condemned Mr. Agnew before knowing any of the facts of the matter. I don't know how so many people in the USA got to be so vindictive against other people, but it seems these days, that many have simply rolled over to whatever the authorities and media state. It is exactly as you said, the idealism of using your head is gone from most of the people. They won't even believe what their eyes tell them if such sights counter their pre-established beliefs.

Yeah I agree that opinions are worthless to anyone beyond the holder. Yet, also as demonstrated here, there are people who will fight you tooth and nail to make sure you don't have one that disagrees with theirs. Thanks again.

Last edited by yantosh22; 06-19-2011 at 02:49 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:

What did surprise me here are the number of people who condemned Mr. Agnew before knowing any of the facts of the matter. I don't know how so many people in the USA got to be so vindictive against other people, but it seems these days, that many have simply rolled over to whatever the authorities and media state. It is exactly as you said, the idealism of using your head is gone from most of the people. They won't even believe what their eyes tell them if such sights counter their pre-established beliefs.
I guess part of the answer is: during the multi-tasking day and overload of information available most ppl. find it easiar to accept what is in front of them (presented by various forms of media) than to give it thought.Kinda of like.....giddy up, let's get moving, that's a wrap.Look, the alternatives take time.lol. In one of your last posts you took the time to post a dozen links of photos to substantiate the issue at hand......takes a passion and time.Ninty-nine percent of ppl. are followers not leaders which will set the tone as to what they believe without further investigation.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 AM

359 posts, read 592,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, the world, not just the US, is absolutely going insane. However, it isn't because we have certain members of society that don't want to confirm to clothing rules and then trespassing laws. There are much bigger fish to fry and the idea that this topic has gotten so much attention (by the disturber, people of Charlotte, this forum, etc) is evidence that the world itself is doomed. I mean seriously, can we work on the murder/drug/serious crime problem than some joke that doesn't know how to wear a hat -- or chooses to wear it in such a way that the venue isn't interested in promoting (and where there are plenty of other places to go spend your $). There is this idealism of using your head....most people have forgotten how.

The movie Idiocracy is a pretty good example of where the world is headed. It mocks just about all of us but right wrong or indifferent there is plenty of truth being told.

Of course, all of this is just IMO --- and we all know what they say about opinions
Please define "work on the murder/drug/serious crime problem".

You think somebody trespassing on private property is less important than a marijuana cigarette butt in an ash tray?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
And why are so many so quick to dismiss him?

Quote:
tripieh, you and I are on the same page. Thanks for responding. The entire point of the OP was to point out the ridiculous response to Mr. Agnew's hat, including the inconsistent enforcement of the epicenter and the very over the top response of the CMPD. Never did I realize that so many people would immediately lose their composure over to the point of providing endless distractions over the real point at hand.

Yeah I agree that opinions are worthless to anyone beyond the holder. Yet, also as demonstrated here, there are people who will fight you tooth and nail to make sure you don't have one that disagrees with theirs. Thanks again.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Please define "work on the murder/drug/serious crime problem".

You think somebody trespassing on private property is less important than a marijuana cigarette butt in an ash tray?
I would assume that poster means that until serious crime is down to nothing, which it will never be, more resources need to be directed towards it.

As for the joint in the ashtray, I think pretty much all crime is more important than that. But that's a topic for another thread.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
That is an example of making every thing absolutely white & black without accepting that in life there are a lot of grays. It's not even clear the owners of the Epicenter even considered it trespassing given they won't speak of the matter. It could have been an error in judgement of the private security guard and/or overzealous police. As posted in the photos above, there hasn't been any consistency.

IMO, if they wanted to do such a thing, they would have posted a guard at the entrance instead of waiting for someone to come in, spend money no less (which they gladly accepted) before informing the individual his hat was on backwards. This doesn't pass the smell test by any means, and the photos above prove it as well. So for me at least, I say Mr. Agnew should get a pass and the CMPD ought to do some counciling of its officers when it is appropriate to get involved in such matters. Of course that would require some leadership that understands these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte