Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Were you there or are you simply reading the CO article and the journal of the guy arrested?...
I wasn't aware the Charlotte Observer had even written anything until the link was provided here. As I have said many times here in this forum, I don't draw conclusions over articles written in the Observer or give out links to it as some sort of proof. I rarely read the rag anymore.

I won't bother to respond to any point you were attempting to make because it is clear, as often happens by the same people on this forum, your purpose was to criticize me for having brought this story to this topic instead of offering up some sort of dialog on the matter itself. I recommend you put me on ignore and go back to reading the Observer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Really? Go to a nightclub in, say, NYC or Vegas, and refuse to comply with a request from a club bouncer / security guard and see what happens. Chances are they would physically grab you and toss you out the front (or back) door - and probably leave you with a few painful reminders of the evening as well. I've seen it happen in clubs in both cities....
Yes Really. I've got no issue with that as that would be a private matter. It should be clear enough this isn't what happened here and if that was all there was too it, I would not have created this topic. I'm not going to try and explain it again because if you are interested, please re-read what I've already posted.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM

359 posts, read 592,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I wasn't aware the Charlotte Observer had even written anything until the link was provided here. As I have said many times here in this forum, I don't draw conclusions over articles written in the Observer or give out links to it as some sort of proof. I rarely read the rag anymore.

I won't bother to respond to any point you were attempting to make because it is clear, as often happens by the same people on this forum, your purpose was to criticize me for having brought this story to this topic instead of offering up some sort of dialog on the matter itself. I recommend you put me on ignore and go back to reading the Observer.
I am not criticizing you. You don't know what really happened and that's fine. You are bringing up discussion on a scenario which a subject gets arrested and proclaims discrimination while offering his side of the story.

No need to put you on ignore as I have no issue with what you posted. I don't read the CO I just couldn't help but click on the facebook page provided which took me to the CO article.

You can dismiss my legitimate questions due to the fact they aren't consistent with your views. I'm just a reasonable person asking reasonable questions.

As I said before, if there was a violation of civil rights then I will be the first in line to agree.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
Quote:
Yes Really. I've got no issue with that as that would be a private matter. It should be clear enough this isn't what happened here and if that was all there was too it, I would not have created this topic. I'm not going to try and explain it again because if you are interested, please re-read what I've already posted.
Actually, you are incorrect about these two facts:

The police role is just this. Tell the person to leave the property if the owner says he is trespassing and warn him he will be arrested if he doesn't. This didn't happen.
It was never mentioned the police gave him the option to leave the property before being charged with trespassing.

He wore inappropriate clothing, he was asked to fix the situation twice. He refused twice. He was asked to leave, he did not comply. Police were called, and he was arrested for violating the law of "trespass", not because of his hat. The CO creates sensationalist headlines to get readers, as did you.. Not an issue until those headlines contain misinformation.

The Epicenter has pretty loose dress codes in general, other places in there have more strict. As others have said, this is not uncommon, for many places. These dress codes are to create an atmosphere which attracts more clientale that spends money. Hence the athletic gear restriction. It's not a jogging track.

I disagree with how this man is pleading harm, when there was a simple solution. Why do people have to create an issue out of nothing.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
The dress code itself is discriminatory, and club bouncers the world over are discriminatory because they will refuse admission for any number of reasons.
Little bit of power going to their heads.

Out of interest, are there any black security guys at the Epicenter?

It's the fact that they're allowed to have a discriminatory dress code that gets me. When my husband worked in accountancy he was always narked by the fact that the men were expected to wear shirts and ties, but there was no dress code for the women.
I wouldn't care to comment on whether the dress code is racially discriminatory.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not "technically" - he was on private property and refused to comply with a posted dress code. When he refused to leave he was arrested for second degree trespassing.

This is not rocket science folks.

Or are you saying property owners should lose the right to decide what goes on on their own property??
No, I thought I understood you were previously saying that he wasn't in trouble for refusing to turn around his cap. The Observer seems to imply that he failed to comply with that order so he was told to leave. By proxy, he was in trouble with the law for not turning around his cap, no?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
The dress code itself is discriminatory, and club bouncers the world over are discriminatory because they will refuse admission for any number of reasons.
Little bit of power going to their heads.

Out of interest, are there any black security guys at the Epicenter?

It's the fact that they're allowed to have a discriminatory dress code that gets me. When my husband worked in accountancy he was always narked by the fact that the men were expected to wear shirts and ties, but there was no dress code for the women.
I wouldn't care to comment on whether the dress code is racially discriminatory.
Speaking as a former bouncer, it has less to do with a little bit of power going to one's head and more to do with preventing trouble. Like it or not, there is a certain element that dresses a certain way that will cause trouble more often than not. Are there some "innocent" people who get turned away for a club? Sure, but it is a business' right to have a dress code and refuse service for almost any reason.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. If you don't like the dress code then go somewhere else where there isn't a dress code. I'd also be willing to wager that the person who was wearing the hat backwards was probably less than reasonable when he was informed that he was violating the dress code. And what does the weather have to do with wearing a hat backwards?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
Quote:
So if you walk into the Epicenter with your hat on backwards, and the CMPD tells you to reverse and you don't, not one but two cops will arrest you which includes cuffing and and being hauled off to jail.

SWEET! I wanna see it happen in person.
And if your underwear is showing, there should be a beating.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Actually, you are incorrect about these two facts:

The police role is just this. Tell the person to leave the property if the owner says he is trespassing and warn him he will be arrested if he doesn't. This didn't happen.
It was never mentioned the police gave him the option to leave the property before being charged with trespassing.

He wore inappropriate clothing, he was asked to fix the situation twice. He refused twice. He was asked to leave, he did not comply. Police were called, and he was arrested for violating the law of "trespass", not because of his hat. The CO creates sensationalist headlines to get readers, as did you.. Not an issue until those headlines contain misinformation.

The Epicenter has pretty loose dress codes in general, other places in there have more strict. As others have said, this is not uncommon, for many places. These dress codes are to create an atmosphere which attracts more clientale that spends money. Hence the athletic gear restriction. It's not a jogging track.

I disagree with how this man is pleading harm, when there was a simple solution. Why do people have to create an issue out of nothing.
The media loves to rabble rouse.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Default Taking bets on his removal

What's your guess? He stays or goes at Epicenter?
picture of obama wearing hat backwards - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte