Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I wasn't talking about the Wall Street movement. I was talking about Charlotte, if the steam comments were in response to my post. The benefits I was referring to are the food and other stuff being handed out.

Ani, you're right about the message. If this is subtle, go ahead and tell us what the message is. I know people who were behind OWS in the beginning but have quickly turned away because of a lack of a consistent message. When all you see are idiots making unrealistic or outrageous demands, your movement will lose credibility and support unless someone steps up and speaks for the group. At this time there are either too many people or not enough people who speak FOR OWS as a whole. Who do you listen to?
Yes, I am all for a good protest w/ a core message and something actionable attached to it. Call for prosecutions! Call for legislative change! Let us know what the action is that we are expected to take - and folks would join in.

As it is, people milling around saying things like "We are the 99%" just looks kinda . . . lame. I mean - we have all these people in a group - let's do something w/ that energy! Just seems like a waste to me . . . and looks rather anarchical - "anything goes" instead of targeted, i.e. "here are our demands."

They should start with . . . "Bring Our Jobs Back" . .. and have core speeches in re: to how that is to be accomplished, i.e. what trade laws need to be changed/adjusted, what IRS regs, what corporate responsibility means . . . start with something we can all understand and get behind. If they have 10 items - create a manifesto. In this era of instant communication, it is nearly impossible for me to understand why this has been so poorly organized.

They've got our attention. But . . . nothing is happening. It's like getting a free ticket to a concert . . . and then no band shows up to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Matt Taibbi, contributing editor for Rolling Stone, is a long time advocate against Wall St corruption. His books and blog are always good reads when it comes to the subject.

I agree that the "steam" is very much alive and getting stronger - absolutely contrary to what people will read into the actual sit-ins being broken up and the arrests. More and more people are understanding that the fight is with the special interests who control the 2 party system - the ones that control these mouth pieces who you think have our best interests in mind. The more people think this fight is "in Washington" or "the White House", the more they fall prey to the corruption. When you have both parties in your pocket, it matters zero who they throw up to the podium. People are getting that slowly, but surely - and the OWS movement helps. Follow the money.

Matt Taibbi | Taibblog | Politics | Rolling Stone
Amen!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree - they do have people's attention. Sadly, I think that MSM picks up the nutballs and fringers and so . . . what we end up seeing is a poor representation of what the movement is actually about.

I got a better idea by watching livestreams.
Lame stream media is doing just that. Great example is cbs news last night, reported there was a "couple hundred" people out there yesterday. What a lie! LOL! Anyone watching the live feeds would see there were many, many more than that. And last night at the bridge the police scans were giving estimates of 32k.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Lame stream media is doing just that. Great example is cbs news last night, reported there was a "couple hundred" people out there yesterday. What a lie! LOL! Anyone watching the live feeds would see there were many, many more than that. And last night at the bridge the police scans were giving estimates of 32k.
Wonder why MSM is doing that. Everyone has to be fully aware that everything is being livestreamed . . .

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Why bother even guesstimating how many people are out there? People will try to pick you apart for a low guess or a high guess.

It makes no difference how many people are out there as long as there is no clear, REALISTIC message. Showing people like the "Haftin' to be uproared" lady is no different than a news channel picking on someone at any other political rally. It's going to happen. Deal with it. There are idiots everywhere. OWS, Tea Party, GOP, etc. Everywhere. But, its easy to grab onto the idiots when there is no clear message being sent. Saying you're part of the 99% is wasting air and markers. Not to mention the paper for those clever little signs.

Stop screwing around and make your point, OWS. Or you'll wind up being just another movement like the one I had this morning.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wonder why MSM is doing that. Everyone has to be fully aware that everything is being livestreamed . . .
Who knows...the cbs facebook page got blasted. It was a bit entertaining. LOL!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Why bother even guesstimating how many people are out there? People will try to pick you apart for a low guess or a high guess.

It makes no difference how many people are out there as long as there is no clear, REALISTIC message. Showing people like the "Haftin' to be uproared" lady is no different than a news channel picking on someone at any other political rally. It's going to happen. Deal with it. There are idiots everywhere. OWS, Tea Party, GOP, etc. Everywhere. But, its easy to grab onto the idiots when there is no clear message being sent. Saying you're part of the 99% is wasting air and markers. Not to mention the paper for those clever little signs.

Stop screwing around and make your point, OWS. Or you'll wind up being just another movement like the one I had this morning.
The whole "make a point" is ridiculous. Baby bush went into iraq with "shock & awe" with no clear directive, no one moaned then. THAT cost this Nation more than OWS ever will.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
The whole "make a point" is ridiculous. Baby bush went into iraq with "shock & awe" with no clear directive, no one moaned then. THAT cost this Nation more than OWS ever will.
What does that have to do with OWS? And no one moaned? I recall a good bit of "No blood for oil!" protests then.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
No one moaned about the Iraq war????????????????????????

I'm speechless....

Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
What does that have to do with OWS? And no one moaned? I recall a good bit of "No blood for oil!" protests then.
A good bit? I recall that complaining being loud and clear well before the first air strikes began!

No one moaned then. Good lord...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte