Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter what part of town you're in and what city. If you leave valuables in plain site in a car, more than likely a thief is going to break into your car verses one where nothing is visible.....Sorry to hear that by the way.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
I was in Northlake the day it opened. Never heard "MF'r" more in my life. Roaming thugs from day one. What a shame.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
Been there a couple of times and each time I felt like I was back in Eastland mall in the 90's. Mainly because of the language and the complete lack of manners displayed by many youths. Example, I accidentally bumped into someone, which is likely in a mall, and I said pardon me. The kid started talking trash and I politely told him I would cause him great physical harm if he kept advancing towards me in a threatening manner.

Example 2, went with the wife to see a movie. Wasn't 30 feet from my truck when a couple thug types started eyeballing my truck. Walked a little further and they were trying to open the doors. This was an F-150 and they have a nasty weakness when it comes to the door locks. We returned to the truck and went elsewhere to see a movie. Security was nowhere to be found but they had the large portable lighting set up near the entrance. That struck me as very odd to begin with.

Now I only go back the when Dick's has a sale on ammo.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Been there a couple of times and each time I felt like I was back in Eastland mall in the 90's. Mainly because of the language and the complete lack of manners displayed by many youths. Example, I accidentally bumped into someone, which is likely in a mall, and I said pardon me. The kid started talking trash and I politely told him I would cause him great physical harm if he kept advancing towards me in a threatening manner.

Example 2, went with the wife to see a movie. Wasn't 30 feet from my truck when a couple thug types started eyeballing my truck. Walked a little further and they were trying to open the doors. This was an F-150 and they have a nasty weakness when it comes to the door locks. We returned to the truck and went elsewhere to see a movie. Security was nowhere to be found but they had the large portable lighting set up near the entrance. That struck me as very odd to begin with.

Now I only go back the when Dick's has a sale on ammo.
Pardon me but your story sounds like crock, especially the F-150 "incident"....They see you leave the truck, you see them and yet still try to open the doors??? sounds like crock to me. Why not carjack you?? would've been easier. Judge Judy would rip your story to shreads.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTraffic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
well, you're becoming less-credible to anyone who knows Charlotte then! There are thefts from cars *everywhere that there are cars*.
Ok Dad.
And listen to your mother - Dad speaks the truth! A Kindle in plain view in a mall parking lot is easy pickin's. I hate that it's that way, but it is, pretty much anywhere. Thieves know to look through parking lots for simple grabs.

Quote:
I hope you don't have a 'well its your fault' attitude on that.
Absolutely not! It's the 'fault' of the thief. BUT, it would be beneficial for you to see your part in it. If the kindle had gone in with you, you'd still have it. It sucks what happened to you & your wife - I've been there! Years ago, someone broke my window & stole a radar detector from my truck.

We've been to Northlake exactly three times, and didn't see thugs or folks randomly cursing, but I haven't been there enough to say how it is usually. It was a normal mall, filled with all kinds of people the times we went. I never felt unsafe or surrounded by rude people. But I reckon folks who go there regularly would have more input about that.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,695 times
Just remember that 'the element' cannot pass up the opportunity to lift someone else's goods when given the chance AND they don't need it to be in plain sight!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Any time you leave something even semi-valuable in a car, regardless of WHERE, you are saying to the universe . . . "I recognize that there is a chance that someone will rip this off."

You rolled the dice, and you lost.

Yes, the bad deed was done by someone else . . . but if your wife had stuck that Kindle in her handbag . . . she would still have it, wouldn't she?

Good rule to live by: DO NOT TEMPT FATE.

Things can't get stolen out of cars if they are not left in cars.

That rule holds true whether the car is parked in a church parking lot, your driveway or a mall.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Of course it isn't your fault. It was your property. No one has the right to steal it.

But before you come online posting comments like Northlake is a crime haven. Thugs with freeway access, etc.... You may want to look at parking lot crime stats for Southpark. Or Carolina Place. Or whatever mall you want to pick in Union County (Is there a mall in Union County).

It is really asking for trouble to leave your valuables visible in a parked car. You are inviting trouble. That holds true for North Charlotte, South Charlotte and any place else in this country. Maybe you and your wife should use this as a lesson. Check the car before you leave it. DON"T LEAVE VALUABLES IN PLAIN SIGHT.

My guess is that the theif knew exactly what you left in view.

I go to Northlake often. No problems.

Quote:
My wife did leave it in view - unlike her.
I hope you don't have a 'well its your fault' attitude on that.
Northlake, just like all of east Charlotte has done, is going down hill. To me it comes down to living in Mathews, Mint Hill or into Union county, or the south section (if you can put up with insane traffic and no asphalt).

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
This was the first thing that popped into my head as well. Thieves dont break into cars unless there is something obvious to steal. There's too many cars in a parking lot like Northlake Mall with obvious goodies to break into one devoid of possible plunder.
Maybe with malls but I can't agree with that overall. My car got broken into 4 times at my house and they didn't take anything of value except for a phone charger. They were so desperate for change the biggest thing that was disturbed was the ash tray. I say it was drugs and it might be the same for a break in at a busy mall since that sounds pretty risky.

My brother and 6 other cars parked directly in front of a Hyatt's main entrance was also broken into without having anything in view. They took everything out of all the cars but my bro took the valuables with him. He only lost a window. Amazing how the hotel didn't notice it.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,112 times
Default Northlake Mall Theft of Kindle

The thief probably figured it was an I-Pad or some similar device if it was in the kind of carrier my wife and I use. Obviously, this was a teaching moment for the wife. I suspect all of us have had a senior moment at one time or another, me included, and left a valuable item in plain view in a vehicle. At least the thief won't be able to pawn the Kindle since he won't have the charger unless he wants to order one. Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte