Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I thought Ballantyne was developed by private developers..
Yes it was. The Harris and Bissell families on inherited land. These are the same people responsible for South Park. I don't think any government money was involved except for the highways. That money would have come from the NCDOT and not Charlotte. As far as I know, this area was not part of Charlotte when developed. Charlotte later used its power of forced annexation to move it into the city limits.

IMO, I think they should pursue it though I think they will have a hard time of it. I'm not sure there is a precedent for it in NC and the NC Legislature would have to approve it. They probably should have tried to incorporate it before Charlotte annexed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Sounds as if the town of Providence would also invite other neighborhoods to join as far in as Myers Park. I can imagine the establishment political class of Charlotte would become completely unglued if this thing becomes serious. When you have a Mayor that never saw a tax increase that he didn't like, losing 1/2 of the tax base isn't going to settle well with him and any of the district council members from the inner city districts that benefit the most from the high taxes in CLT.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
I would encourage anyone who thinks this idea had merit to do some digging. As I've stated before, the entire "debate" is more political posturing than an idea with any real substance, and it demeans the constituency of these elected officials.

I looked back over this thread and I see so many misunderstandings and so much misinformation that the entire premise is really clown-car-silly.

Here's a couple articles to get you started...

Ballantyne community ponders divorce from Charlotte | WCNC.com Charlotte

Ballantyne Corporate Park - Company Information - History

Interesting quote from that^ link: “A high quality mixed use community offering substantial and concentrated opportunities for employment, shopping and a variety of housing types for rent or sale and priced to accommodate all levels of income represented by the large Ballantyne work force.”

I guess that means all levels except low income, lol...

Look folks, everyone gets worked up when you take their money. Heck, I do too. The gripe I have with this concept is that it reeks of a dual-standard. The entire (well-planned) master community capitalized on their impending and rapid annexation into Charlotte to generate the capital to make the whole thing possible. Then, when those tax monies are used to raise the (taxable!!) value of other parts of Charlotte there is this cry of dissatisfaction. A "cry" that really, at it's heart is nothing more than political BS. Any sort of split from Charlotte would be death knell for the economic future of Charlotte and by proxy all the communities that rely on the economic engine... including Ballantyne. Even the president of Ballantyne Corporate has stated his opposition to any sort of split!

If *anyone* can find an opinion of someone other than a politician who thinks this is a good idea and why, please... PLEASE share it. I'd love to read it and find out why.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I would encourage anyone who thinks this idea had merit to do some digging. As I've stated before, the entire "debate" is more political posturing than an idea with any real substance, and it demeans the constituency of these elected officials.

I looked back over this thread and I see so many misunderstandings and so much misinformation that the entire premise is really clown-car-silly.

Here's a couple articles to get you started...

Ballantyne community ponders divorce from Charlotte | WCNC.com Charlotte

Ballantyne Corporate Park - Company Information - History

Interesting quote from that^ link: “A high quality mixed use community offering substantial and concentrated opportunities for employment, shopping and a variety of housing types for rent or sale and priced to accommodate all levels of income represented by the large Ballantyne work force.â€

I guess that means all levels except low income, lol...

Look folks, everyone gets worked up when you take their money. Heck, I do too. The gripe I have with this concept is that it reeks of a dual-standard. The entire (well-planned) master community capitalized on their impending and rapid annexation into Charlotte to generate the capital to make the whole thing possible. Then, when those tax monies are used to raise the (taxable!!) value of other parts of Charlotte there is this cry of dissatisfaction. A "cry" that really, at it's heart is nothing more than political BS. Any sort of split from Charlotte would be death knell for the economic future of Charlotte and by proxy all the communities that rely on the economic engine... including Ballantyne. Even the president of Ballantyne Corporate has stated his opposition to any sort of split!

If *anyone* can find an opinion of someone other than a politician who thinks this is a good idea and why, please... PLEASE share it. I'd love to read it and find out why.
I think you hit it right on spot.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
The entire (well-planned) master community capitalized on their impending and rapid annexation into Charlotte to generate the capital to make the whole thing possible.
I don't understand this statement. I can't imagine that annexation would be viewed as a positive by anyone including those providing capital to build this project. This is why the state of NC allows for involuntary annexations.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't understand this statement. I can't imagine that annexation would be viewed as a positive by anyone including those providing capital to build this project. This is why the state of NC allows for involuntary annexations.
You don't have to imagine it. You just have to pay attention to facts.

Because without impending annexation, there would be no sewer system out there. The developers knew going in it was going to be annexed. Anyone building near a city within the same county should know that, or they are not doing their homework.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
[quote=Native_Son;24747557]I would encourage anyone who thinks this idea had merit to do some digging. As I've stated before, the entire "debate" is more political posturing than an idea with any real substance, and it demeans the constituency of these elected officials.

'This issue is just a focal point for frustration around tax allocation. The real issue appears to be frustration on the part of people who are paying higher overall taxes and getting lower overall benefit from the city and county - a sense of taxation without representation. This is a point I can sympathize with. I would have no problem with part of my tax dollars improving inner city schools and infrastructure - but not if my own neighborhood schools are underfunded to the point I feel the need to put my kids in private school and move into a gated neighborhood to feel secure, join a club to have a community pool, or whatever.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Now, Ani. You know that developers, particularly corporate commercial developers, don't develop anything without hefty breaks from government. Not to mention all the infrastructure costs, and the negative externalities caused by all that sprawl.

You honestly believe this? Without Charlotte jobs, Ballantyne would lose more than half its population. A lot of those office parks are near empty as we speak.
I guess this means we aren't going to Iowa?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Being obtuse is a hallmark of the separatists. Looks like you have that angle covered!

Y'all go on and worship at the throne of BJ and the Bissell. Pulled up by your own bootstrap, I'm sure...
I don't live in Ballantyne.

I don't worship at the throne of anyone in Charlotte.

And as far as the "pulled up by your own bootstrap" stuff . . . I don't know . . . sounds kinda kinky to me.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post

'This issue is just a focal point for frustration around tax allocation. The real issue appears to be frustration on the part of people who are paying higher overall taxes and getting lower overall benefit from the city and county - a sense of taxation without representation. This is a point I can sympathize with. I would have no problem with part of my tax dollars improving inner city schools and infrastructure - but not if my own neighborhood schools are underfunded to the point I feel the need to put my kids in private school and move into a gated neighborhood to feel secure, join a club to have a community pool, or whatever.
*DISCLAIMER* I don't live in "Ballantyne/Providence"

I agree wholeheartedly with your post, but let's look at the bolded section. Can you tell me what section of "Ballantyne/Providence has bad schools or dangerous communities? The truth is that most of the schools in that area (especially nearest Ballantyne) are among the best schools in the state! And the tax rate they pay is commensurate with the relative values of their properties. The county reevaluation hurt me too. To the tune of a 50% increase. Did anyone in "Ballantyne/Providence" see that kind of increase, because if they did we can start talking realistically about under representation! I live in an area of town that hasn't seen *jack-squat* in the way of improvements in 15+ years. I live in an area where the main surface road to the neighborhood hasn't been surfaced for longer than the NCDOT engineers can tell me, and that's no exaggeration. Meanwhile I've seen Ballantyne Commons Pkwy paved about three times, not to mention every other south Charlotte road, lol.

And the extra money spent per pupil in my "neighborhood school" doesn't keep my home school from having a 98% free or reduced lunch population, so guess where my child *doesn't* go to school? If CMS dissolves my magnet school (which Ballantyne children are free to attend, btw) I will be forced to move to a better district. Then I have less disposable income to stimulate the local economy, because somehow I don't see any reduced rate of taxation in "Ballantyne/Providence" offsetting the large increase of my "buy-in" price in those premium areas of town. I'm not the only person in Charlotte that would go through this thought process either, so tell me how does this scenario do anything but start putting pressure on "Ballantyne/Providence"? Are they going to build gates since they will be so flush with cash? How long will it take the inner city have-nots to figure out where the only money around is and where they can climb the wall?

Surely I can't be the only person who thinks this will be the case? Am I crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte