Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

It is illegal to discharge a firearm in Charlotte, EXCEPT when it comes to self-defense of dangerous animals. You better make sure you hit what you're aiming at if you do pull the trigger for 2 reasons. One is the population density in Plaza-Midwood does not lend itself well to stray shots. The second is you better be able to prove you were shooting at a dangerous animal, otherwise you might wind up facing charges.

Your best bet would be to find some sort of scent that 'yotes really hate and put it along the borders of your property. Then have pepper spray as a back-up. But I would never advise you confront a coyote. You might wind up having a really bad day if one feels threatened or blocked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are they usually that aggressive? I thought they were pretty shy when it comes to human contact. Maybe I am wrong . . . Just seems to me I would have to be too close for comfort in order to spray 'em . . . maybe shoot 'em first and if they charge, then spray 'em.
Yes extremely shy. Being a hunter you would think I seen a ton. I haven't. Maybe 5 in my life and of those 4 were seen crossing the road while I was in a car. The other one was on a golf course up in statesville he came cruising through like he owned the joint. They have a very distinct walk. If you shot one with an airgun he would probably run off, but I've always been told the most dangerous animal is a wounded animal. If I'm shooing I'm shooting to kill.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It is illegal to discharge a firearm in Charlotte, EXCEPT when it comes to self-defense of dangerous animals. You better make sure you hit what you're aiming at if you do pull the trigger for 2 reasons. One is the population density in Plaza-Midwood does not lend itself well to stray shots. The second is you better be able to prove you were shooting at a dangerous animal, otherwise you might wind up facing charges.

Your best bet would be to find some sort of scent that 'yotes really hate and put it along the borders of your property. Then have pepper spray as a back-up. But I would never advise you confront a coyote. You might wind up having a really bad day if one feels threatened or blocked in.
Agreed I'm all for using guns, but you got to be careful inside the city. I would only ever use a shotgun with 4 or 6 shot. Might not kill the yote first shot if its at a distance but will slow it down and allow for a 2nd shot, while not having to worry about stray bullets.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Yes extremely shy. Being a hunter you would think I seen a ton. I haven't. Maybe 5 in my life and of those 4 were seen crossing the road while I was in a car. The other one was on a golf course up in statesville he came cruising through like he owned the joint. They have a very distinct walk. If you shot one with an airgun he would probably run off, but I've always been told the most dangerous animal is a wounded animal. If I'm shooing I'm shooting to kill.
So maybe my air gun is not a good idea . . . ? I didn't realize they would get aggressive - I figured they would just run off.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
So maybe my air gun is not a good idea . . . ? I didn't realize they would get aggressive - I figured they would just run off.
No not saying they will. I think they would just run off, but I wouldn't want to find out. God forbid if its rabid. Rabies makes them do crazy stuff. In theory they should never approach, but I've read stories of them fighting with dogs, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
No not saying they will. I think they would just run off, but I wouldn't want to find out. God forbid if its rabid. Rabies makes them do crazy stuff. In theory they should never approach, but I've read stories of them fighting with dogs, etc.
It concerns me that no one in this state is actively doing anything to thin out the coyote population. They have no natural enemies, right? Other than a person with a gun?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It concerns me that no one in this state is actively doing anything to thin out the coyote population. They have no natural enemies, right? Other than a person with a gun?
Right. There is nothing that can be done. They were almost wiped out before, and that was due to poisoning if I remember correctly. That will never happen this day and age. They can be hunted, but are considered one of the hardest things to hunt. Even if you hunt them hard they breed pretty fast. tough to wipe out.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:

Coyotes are nasty little critters. They will challenge you (stare you down) and not flinch. We have a friend who had one take chase after him.

The population is out of control, we have them in the large wooded areas behind our house.

Something I learned about them is that they stink! They have an odor naturally but when you kill one they put off an awful, awful odor. Gosh, I hope I never run into one taking the dog out.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Coyotes are nasty little critters. They will challenge you (stare you down) and not flinch. We have a friend who had one take chase after him.

The population is out of control, we have them in the large wooded areas behind our house.

Something I learned about them is that they stink! They have an odor naturally but when you kill one they put off an awful, awful odor. Gosh, I hope I never run into one taking the dog out.
I have never encountered one! I have heard them howling, tho. I saw some when I was "out west" but from a distance and only a glimpse. I had no idea they might not back down if encountered. And to hear someone got chased . . . I guess I should have known that.

So what can people do to get rid of them within the city limits? I wouldn't dare set out a trap on my property - kids and wildlife could be hurt so I am at a loss to know what folks are supposed to do to protect their pets.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I have never encountered one! I have heard them howling, tho. I saw some when I was "out west" but from a distance and only a glimpse. I had no idea they might not back down if encountered. And to hear someone got chased . . . I guess I should have known that.

So what can people do to get rid of them within the city limits? I wouldn't dare set out a trap on my property - kids and wildlife could be hurt so I am at a loss to know what folks are supposed to do to protect their pets.
Generally they don't stare you down, not saying it doesn't happen but most times they turn tail and run. I think you just have to be mindful when your outside with your dog. carry a pistol or some sort of spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte