Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The longest-lived person I knew was my grandmother, who was I would guess a size 10-14 all her life and always ordered dessert - and made everyone else at the table order dessert. She never "worked out" either in the sense that people do these days. Of course, she never drove a car either and walked for all of her errands, well into her 90s.

That's the real key. No one walks anywhere anymore; exercise isn't built into our days like it used to be. Too much sitting, which isn't good regardless of weight and can't really be made up for on the treadmill.
Yes, that's how the concept of "probability" works. It is not impossible to live a long and healthy life if one is overweight, it is just less probable.

I always get a chuckle when someone argues about a statistic with, "Oh yeah, well I know someone who..."

Being overweight doesn't guarantee heart disease, certain types of cancer, a shortened life, etc. However, extra weight increases the probability of these things.

For example, smoking doesn't guarantee lung cancer or emphysema. My grandfather smoked every day of his life from the age of 12. He doubted the statistics about smoking since he lived well into his 70's. And he did beat the odds... for a while. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and emphysema at the age of 74 and was gone within 18 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This has everything to do with Charlotte Ani... We all live in Charlotte or the surrounding area and have no idea if the people being bashed are natives or transplants.

So....in the words of the great Rakim:

"Now if your from Uptown, Brooklyn- bound,
The Bronx, Queens, or Long Island Sound,
Even other states come right and exact,
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at
Since you came here, you have to show and prove
And do that dance until it don't move
'Cause all you need is soul self-esteem will release,
The rest is up to you, Rakim 'll say peace
"

This makes no sense...

Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
This makes no sense...
It makes perfect sense in reference to Ani's post about this having nothing to do with Charlotte. We don't know if the women being talked about are natives or transplants and it really doesn matter.

"it's not where your are from it's where your at"

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 02-04-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why are you trying to make this into a natives vs newcomers issue? My point was-people come in all shapes and sizes, and Charlotte is no different. There will always be folks who are critical or envious of others no matter where you live.
What am I supposed to think when you start off your post like this?

Quote:
And who are these women of Charlotte you are referring to . . . My point being . . . this has nothing to do with CHARLOTTE. I have more friends who have moved here from elsewhere than I do who are natives and NONE OF THEM ever says a word about such things as how others are dressed, or that their neighbors are trying to impress everyone else, blah blah blah. So who is it that is making all these whining and petty remarks? I think these are folks who would be critical, judgmental and petty no matter where they lived!!!
Now, no where in my post did I talk about natives or transplants... you brought it up and I have no idea why....

When I say "women of Charlotte" I'm referring to women who live in Charlotte and make ugly faces at women in yoga suits at Starbucks. I don't know or care if they were born here, moved here or are just passing by on their way North or South...

We live in Charlotte so that's why I said it....

I'm not trying to be difficult Ani but sometimes you have a tendency to move the goal post around. Everyone was talking about skinny women in Lake Norman and for some reason you needed to go national... yet in other threads when it's done you are quick to say "I'm not talking about other places I'm talking about Charlotte"

My post has EVERYTHING to do with Charlotte because we were talking about the women of Lake Norman, SouthPark and surrounding areas who despise cute women in yoga suits and SUV's.

Not trying to argue... but the topic IS about skinny women in Charlotte right? If not, my sincere apologies.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
What am I supposed to think when you start off your post like this?

Now, no where in my post did I talk about natives or transplants... you brought it up and I have no idea why....

When I say "women of Charlotte" I'm referring to women who live in Charlotte and make ugly faces at women in yoga suits at Starbucks. I don't know or care if they were born here, moved here or are just passing by on their way North or South...

We live in Charlotte so that's why I said it....

I'm not trying to be difficult Ani but sometimes you have a tendency to move the goal post around. Everyone was talking about skinny women in Lake Norman and for some reason you needed to go national... yet in other threads when it's done you are quick to say "I'm not talking about other places I'm talking about Charlotte"

My post has EVERYTHING to do with Charlotte because we were talking about the women of Lake Norman, SouthPark and surrounding areas who despise cute women in yoga suits and SUV's.

Not trying to argue... but the topic IS about skinny women in Charlotte right? If not, my sincere apologies.
I wish there were icons representing someone beating his/her head against a wall. Sure would come in handy.:s mack:

THERE IS NOTHING UNIQUE ABOUT HOW THE WOMEN HERE DO OR DO NOT ACT. If I could say it in fewer words so you wouldn't get lost in the translation, trust me, I would.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Ok.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Ok.
Thank you.

Women are women, all over the world. That is the point.

We keep hearing about women in "whatever" area who are doing "whatever" (wearing certain clothes? driving certain cars? being fat? being skinny? whatever?) and that this defines the women in "whatever" area.

Well, it doesn't. I keep writing - i know women who grew up here; grew up elsewhere; WHATEVER - and this stuff is STEREOTYPICAL. Maybe on one street somewhere LKN there is this rare breed of trophy wives who all are size 2, have had boob jobs, tummy tucks, etc. MAYBE! I SURE HAVEN'T SEE IT!!!!

I guess if a person never gets out and is consumed with noticing what everyone else is doing, maybe if they were one of the few people that lived on that ONE FICTIONAL STREET . . . maybe you would be so simple as to think ALL WOMEN looked like those on your street. ????? As I said earlier - if you really wanna know how someone achieved a certain look - ASK THEM HOW THEY DID IT. Otherwise, this is sounding like envy, to me.

There is no cult of women in LKN or anywhere else around here who subscribe to some dress code and weight limit. This is just silly talk. Really. And this is how stereotypes come to be . . . folks passing this kind of foolish stuff around.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Women are strange.

I love strange.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
I am 5'11 and a size 4. Don't live in LKN tho.Guess I need to move there.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhappy View Post
I moved to Lake Norman and all the women in my neighhborhood are skinny. Seriously they are all size 2's, 4's and 6's. I asked another neighbor who might the be an 8 and she said they've all had tummy tucks and boob jobs. Seriously, how do they do it? They all have kids and some work.
Yep, I call them Barbies. Everything is perfect, the sun bath in their front yards, they are clickish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte