Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times

Advertisements

You'd think some people could understand "context". Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
You'd think some people could understand "context". Wow.
Maybe it's just that those posters don't pick up on the bigotry in the other posts. Kudos to them.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM

335 posts, read 699,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Maybe it's just that those posters don't pick up on the bigotry in the other posts. Kudos to them.
Bigotry? There has been no bigotry on this thread. Take that PC crap somewhere else.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Ok its time to draw the line, Its not bigotry for a member stating Atlanta has a large black population and it does. Now is Atlanta the San Fran of east, that a new one on me. Atlanta does have the largest gay black population.

Now let me step in MOD mode:
This thread the OP is wanting to discuss the differences between Atlanta and Charlotte. If you want to discuss other cities, I highly suggest City vs. City forum.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
I've reserved asking this question lest I look like an idiot, but exactly how is Atlanta larger than Charlotte?

Also: Are the two primary business districts confined to Downtown ATL and Buckhead? One thing I like about Charlotte is that, aside from East Charlotte, large business districts are central, south, west, and north of the City - which I'd imagine keeps traffic flowing.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I've reserved asking this question lest I look like an idiot, but exactly how is Atlanta larger than Charlotte?

Also: Are the two primary business districts confined to Downtown ATL and Buckhead? One thing I like about Charlotte is that, aside from East Charlotte, large business districts are central, south, west, and north of the City - which I'd imagine keeps traffic flowing.
The Atlanta metro is much larger than the Charlotte metro, but the city of Charlotte is larger than the city of Altanta.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM

163 posts, read 525,871 times
I'm going to give my honest opinion here. I think I am qualified since I have lived in both places.

Chalotte pros:
Very nice downtown (uptown) area
Many beautiful neighborhoods
Is a progressive city
Easy to get around
Great for families
Lake Norman

Cons:
Not much else to see or do outside of uptown
The most suburban large city in the USA (become rural too quickly)
Lacks a large urban university presence
Lacking in history
Limited culturally
Can be a little slow and boring

Atlanta pros:
Is a much bigger city which gives it more life and pulse
Many interesting areas outside of DT with things to see and do
Decent transportation system
Many more opportunities for cultural experiences
Also has many great suburbs and neighborhoods

Cons:
Traffic, traffic, traffic
Not so easy to get around
Not as clean as Charlotte
Race relations might not be as good as CLT
Airport is intimidating

Both:
Both have good access to other relatively close places
Both have good overall weather
Both have great shopping (according to size)
Both have hub airport (CLT is much easier on the nerves though)
Both are progressive

Biggest difference to me is Atlanta feels, looks and is a much bigger city with many more things to do. But that does not mean that bigger is better. It depends on one's preference. I give the edge to Atlanta on this one. But I could live again in Charlotte.

I liked living in Charlotte but felt

Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Atlanta metro is much larger than the Charlotte metro, but the city of Charlotte is larger than the city of Altanta.
Thanks Southbound ! I thought that's what people meant in saying ATL was larger, but couldn't it be argued that the Charlotte Metro area is larger, for it encompasses Meck, Gastonia, parts of Iredell, parts of Cabarrus, and parts of York & Lancaster SC?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks brri, for your helpful input

Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks Southbound ! I thought that's what people meant in saying ATL was larger, but couldn't it be argued that the Charlotte Metro area is larger, for it encompasses Meck, Gastonia, parts of Iredell, parts of Cabarrus, and parts of York & Lancaster SC?
You're welcome.

No, even the Charlotte CSA is smaller, but in 10 or 20 years it will be much larger than at present. The MSA goes by county. Mooresville is in Iredell & as a county, Iredell does not qualify for the MSA. Kings Mountain is in the weird position of being in both Gaston & Cleveland Counties. The Gaston side is in the MSA while the Cleveland side is in the CSA (insert a cross-eyed smilie here).

If the textile industry had not collapsed, Cleveland & Lincoln would probably both be in the MSA.

There's a map that shows the Charlotte MSA & CSA. I'll look for it & post it for you.

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-10-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte