Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

As a follow-up to Sunny's thread:

"ROCK HILL, SC (WBTV) - Harris Teeter just lost it's crown as the favorite grocer in the Charlotte metro area. It could be a symptom of families looking to save money."

Walmart tops Harris Teeter as top grocery choice in Charlotte - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
They all will be chasing Publix in a year (and that is with only 2 stores in the metro).

As to Walmart vs Harris Teeter, Consumer Reports has Harris Teeter over Walmart.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They all will be chasing Publix in a year (and that is with only 2 stores in the metro).

As to Walmart vs Harris Teeter, Consumer Reports has Harris Teeter over Walmart.
Assuming you're referring to this: The Best Supermarkets In The Country, As Ranked By 'Consumer Reports'

HT #6, Publix #3, Wegmans #1

Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
I think that price is the factor. People don't have money to throw away now. Although Walmart is a pain since it is always so crowded, it IS far cheaper...and, that is something that cannot be refuted.

Although, Harris Teeter's promotion on prescriptions is pretty awesome!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Although Walmart is a pain since it is always so crowded,)
Walmart is not always crowded. You just have to make some minor changes on when you go.

I do my food shopping very early on a Sunday mostly (or Saturday early). Or, in the evening on a weeknight.

Its a much different shopping experience than your normal times (saturday/sunday midday)

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,353 times
Wally-World is always crowded because more people are buy their grub there. I buy many items at WWorld, when the wife is not with me (she won't cross their threshold, period). Otherwise, we like HT at Monroe and Sardis Rd North because the one in Matthews is annoying AND the prices are higher there than at their store on Monroe and Sardis Rd North. It pays to shop when trying to save a buck. There are certain times to hit WWorld to avoid the crowds - like mid morning and early afternoon.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Agree with others - you choose the time to go to HellMart and you won't encounter thronging masses.

I refused to do my grocery shopping at that place, b/c I felt they had strong-armed companies into lowering prices to where other grocery stores could not compete and still make even a few cents of a profit.

However, my husband still goes there and when he told me the difference in price on ONE BOX OF CEREAL was more than $2, I had to listen. So now, sadly, there are certain items on the grocery list that we only purchase at WM. Well, that HE purchases there - I still refuse to go, lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
And the race to the bottom is almost won. Sadly, most people don't see that they are a huge factor in the demise of this nation.....(smh)

If you shop in that dump, then don't complain about social safety nets and the lack of income in this country.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Wally-World is always crowded because more people are buy their grub there. I buy many items at WWorld, when the wife is not with me (she won't cross their threshold, period). Otherwise, we like HT at Monroe and Sardis Rd North because the one in Matthews is annoying AND the prices are higher there than at their store on Monroe and Sardis Rd North. It pays to shop when trying to save a buck. There are certain times to hit WWorld to avoid the crowds - like mid morning and early afternoon.
You think the prices are higher at Matthews HT? I've never noticed that. I go right past the SRN store to go to Matthews because the selection is so much better.

Galleria WM isn't so bad most of the times I go, but that's often in the middle of the day. It's good for people watching too.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And the race to the bottom is almost won. Sadly, most people don't see that they are a huge factor in the demise of this nation.....(smh)

If you shop in that dump, then don't complain about social safety nets and the lack of income in this country.
I agree, but sometimes it's hard to pay $4 more for the same bag of cat food, or 25% more for tuna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte