Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It pretty mute of impact when the state already has a law.

If the amendment fails it will still be marriage between one woman and one man.

Not moot at all, yes there is a law, there is NOT a State Amendment in the constitution and that is what this vote is for.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This amendment is not good for the State.
Then why are you in favor of it?

Quote:
Further, the "victim" card is silly when speaking of this act. A bill/rule/law can only make one feel less than, if they allow it to. What is meant to do is define what marriage is and what marriage is not in this State.
This is not about feelings. This is about fairness and equality. Are you saying that all those black people denied the right to vote in the 1960s were just "letting that bill making them feel less than?" They should have just not let those Jim Crow laws get to them, right? You really need to think before you speak.

Quote:
I could use that same arguement in regards to the attack on Christianity in this country, but the fact is this country is in a race to the bottom with no moral compass any longer, sad thing is we are almost there. The more we have tried to "progress" the further we have fallen.
What attack on Christianity? There is no attack on Christianity. News flash: when you push your religion down someone's throat and they disagree with you or defend themselves, you are not being "persecuted." No one is stopping Christians from practicing their faith, you just have to respect others when you do so.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Then why are you in favor of it?

This is not about feelings. This is about fairness and equality. Are you saying that all those black people denied the right to vote in the 1960s were just "letting that bill making them feel less than?" They should have just not let those Jim Crow laws get to them, right? You really need to think before you speak.

What attack on Christianity? There is no attack on Christianity. News flash: when you push your religion down someone's throat and they disagree with you or defend themselves, you are not being "persecuted." No one is stopping Christians from practicing their faith, you just have to respect others when you do so.

Typo, you know that.

This is not about black people. You need to learn to stay on topic. You can not even do that.

Of course there is an attack on Christianity. Your posts are even more proof of that. Let us get something clear right here, right now. I do not owe anyone respect. One must earn that. I do however owe it to them to be cordial until they prove otherwise.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
And you have the gall to get on a message board and attempt to chastise others for hatred and bigotry? Really?

Don't argue the bible, it really is not becoming. And your willful ignorance is showing. But this much I promise you. A day will come that you will have to answer for your vile words about God and his words.
Please explain what was hateful or bigoted about what I said? Nothing. I am attempting to have a discourse with you and you are continuing to obfuscate. If you're going to try to restrict others' rights through an Amendment and base your support on the Bible, you're going to have to deal with people arguing about the Bible and pointing out the inconsistencies in what the Bible has to say.

How can you support the Biblical proscription against homosexuality and not the Biblical proscriptions against eating shellfish, or the Biblical ideas about stoning non-virgin brides and rebellious teenagers? It's inconsistent.

Quote:
Your posts are doing nothing but continuing to spread lies over this law and it's intent. The best one is the domestic violence issue. By your words it will become "legal" to beat, hit and slap your partner. And nowhere at any time is it ok OR LEGAL to hit and/or beat on another no matter of gender. Stop the crap, stop the lies.
I said no such thing. The law would invalidate civil partnerships and unions between unmarried couples. Judges could use these laws to remove some domestic violence protections from unmarried couples - straight and gay. It is not a certainty, but Amendments' effects are in their application, as interpreted by judges. So, this amendment leaves these possibilities open. That is no lie.

What is a certainty, is that dependents and children of domestic partners who work for governments will lose their healthcare coverage.

Quote:
And as far as confirming, what you "thought" of me...while what you think of me means nothing to me, I have never hid the fact or been ashamed to be a Christian and speak about it.
Then you shouldn't have a problem defending your positions by addressing my points not resorting to manufactured outrage.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
This is not about black people. You need to learn to stay on topic. You can not even do that.
It's an analogy. When you make universal statements like "a bill can only make people feel less than if they let it," then you need to understand the broader ramifications of what you're saying and be prepared to be called out because of it.

Quote:
Of course there is an attack on Christianity. Your posts are even more proof of that. Let us get something clear right here, right now. I do not owe anyone respect. One must earn that. I do however owe it to them to be cordial until they prove otherwise.
I am not attacking Christianity. I am questioning your particular brand of it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you want to use inflammatory language ( ie homophobes) and call anyone who believes in the bible a bigot, (which is what you are doing) that's your perogative....
To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature.

Better to be honest about a topic, than to impose the hatred of ignorance upon others, for no other purpose to demean their existence.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM

Restrict others? That is why we have the right to vote, or have you forgotten that fact?

As I have stated time and again here, I do not argue the bible. If YOU have a problem with it, take it up with the man himself. He is willing to listen.

How do you know what I do and do not support, in regards to as you call it biblical law. All I have shared is that I am Christian and I do not support homosexuality in any shape, form or fashion, and anything other than those things are OT.

You have done nothing but speak from both sides of your mouth. I have told you save your dog and pony show for others because I am not interested. I am who I am and I believe and stand for what I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Please explain what was hateful or bigoted about what I said? Nothing. I am attempting to have a discourse with you and you are continuing to obfuscate. If you're going to try to restrict others' rights through an Amendment and base your support on the Bible, you're going to have to deal with people arguing about the Bible and pointing out the inconsistencies in what the Bible has to say.

How can you support the Biblical proscription against homosexuality and not the Biblical proscriptions against eating shellfish, or the Biblical ideas about stoning non-virgin brides and rebellious teenagers? It's inconsistent.

I said no such thing. The law would invalidate civil partnerships and unions between unmarried couples. Judges could use these laws to remove some domestic violence protections from unmarried couples - straight and gay. It is not a certainty, but Amendments' effects are in their application, as interpreted by judges. So, this amendment leaves these possibilities open. That is no lie.

What is a certainty, is that dependents and children of domestic partners who work for governments will lose their healthcare coverage.

Then you shouldn't have a problem defending your positions by addressing my points not resorting to manufactured outrage.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature.

Better to be honest about a topic, than to impose the hatred of ignorance upon others, for no other purpose to demean their existence.
lol, if you know my history on this board you'll know I don't hold back.

I was just commenting on Sunny's post which he calls people like Billy Graham bigoted for supporting the amendment...that's all.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Restrict others? That is why we have the right to vote, or have you forgotten that fact?

As I have stated time and again here, I do not argue the bible. If YOU have a problem with it, take it up with the man himself. He is willing to listen.

How do you know what I do and do not support, in regards to as you call it biblical law. All I have shared is that I am Christian and I do not support homosexuality in any shape, form or fashion, and anything other than those things are OT.

You have done nothing but speak from both sides of your mouth. I have told you save your dog and pony ahow for others because I am not interested. I am who I am and I believe and stand for what I believe.
I think you are voting to restrict others...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think you are voting to restrict others...

I am voting to have my "voice" heard, that is what we do in this nation. Our votes=our opinions and belief systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte