Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,602 times

Advertisements

I have made the decision to leave NY and build a new home in Waxhaw, NC just south of Charlotte in Union County. I am 30 years old and have been a manager with the same national manufacturing/maintenance company for 6 years. My job roles have included various positions including assistant controller, IT support, customer service manager, and operations manager. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and would really like to get back into a financial role with a mid to large company.

Obviously I have been browsing various sites such as careerbuilder and monster but I would like other options that could save time. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good recruiter or another avenue I could possibly take near my future new residence.

I was also curious if anyone had a similiar situation where they've bought a home first and then started to look for employment. Being in NY right now is pretty difficult to schedule interviews in NC and having a NY phone number and address is usually a turn off to employers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike26 View Post
I have made the decision to leave NY and build a new home in Waxhaw, NC just south of Charlotte in Union County. I am 30 years old and have been a manager with the same national manufacturing/maintenance company for 6 years. My job roles have included various positions including assistant controller, IT support, customer service manager, and operations manager. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and would really like to get back into a financial role with a mid to large company.

Obviously I have been browsing various sites such as careerbuilder and monster but I would like other options that could save time. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good recruiter or another avenue I could possibly take near my future new residence.

I was also curious if anyone had a similiar situation where they've bought a home first and then started to look for employment. Being in NY right now is pretty difficult to schedule interviews in NC and having a NY phone number and address is usually a turn off to employers.

Mike, two suggestions: Get a cell phone with a NC phone number. This will be well worth the trouble and expense for responses to your resume. Also, contact Ajilon Consulting/Recruiters in Charlotte. You need someone here working on getting you some interviews.

www.ajilonconsulting.com
6000 Fairview Rd # 410
Charlotte, NC 28210
(704) 552-0868

Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 PM

33 posts, read 201,478 times
Good luck w. your move to Waxhaw, Mike. Where in NY are you living now?

I have a Brother-in-law, 36 yrs old in the Graphics Arts/IT industry (Flash, Photoshop, etc.) He bought a house first and moved to the Charlotte area on July 1. He has so far not received any offers and it's going on 3 months. He's got some money from selling a house in NY that he's burning through that should buy him another 6 months or so, so he's not in dire straights yet.

But everyone is different. He might not have the most stellar resume, or might not be a great interviewee. Despite his luck, you might find a job within a week, or within 6 months.

I agree about the idea of a NC area code cell phone. Or better yet, order a Vonage telephone line in the Charlotte area code. You can take that with you and use it as one of you phone lines when you move to Waxhaw. The nice thing about Vonage lines is that you can configure it to email you or send you a text message letting you know thatyou have a voicemail. (It might be easier than carrying around a 2nd cell phone around with you 24 hrs a day.)

Another suggestion is to register yourself on JetBlue's website. Setup your preferences so that they know JFK is your preferred airport. (Assuming you are in the NYC area). JetBlue offers non-stop roundtrip deals for $69 each way fairly regularly. Over the last 2 months I have received emails about 3 different sales that all offered the same $69 discounted rate. Non-sale rates start at $94 each way and go up to $154, i think.

If you get a call to setup an interview, it helps to know about the sales so you can plan a trip and (hopefully) make it at a discounted fare.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 25,568 times
how did you buy a house living in another state. did you use a bank or mortgage co that is what i want to do i think . did you have family or friends there? Thanks

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Default Denise

To purchase a home in another state:

You must secure employment in the new state and provide proof to the lender or provide a letter from current employer saying that job will transfer or you're eligible to work from home; or secure lending on home as a second home or vacation property.

The latter option typically has a higher interest rate than if the house is listed as your primary residence however, many people suggest if that's your only option, move forward with your plans and re-finance down the road.

SL

Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike26 View Post

We're headed to Union County also ... from Jersey. Once we went under contract for a house, prospective employer reservations went away and we both were able to secure employment prior to our arrival in NC. In fact, we're not in NC yet but we both have job offers and start dates for employment in Waxhaw (me) and Matthews (him). So it can be done.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

SL

Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM

48 posts, read 315,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
We're headed to Union County also ... from Jersey. Once we went under contract for a house, prospective employer reservations went away and we both were able to secure employment prior to our arrival in NC. In fact, we're not in NC yet but we both have job offers and start dates for employment in Waxhaw (me) and Matthews (him). So it can be done.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

SL
what do you and dh do? did you find another house yet?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michymm View Post
what do you and dh do? did you find another house yet?
I am a recruiter. Staying with the same career field, but new industry for me in NC. DH has his CDL A but mostly works as a heavy equipment operator for a building supply company. His salary is being matched in NC, with more growth potential. My salary is slightly lower.

Yes, we have found a home, close on it end of October. For the moment, we are still in Jersey.

SL

Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I am a recruiter. Staying with the same career field, but new industry for me in NC. DH has his CDL A but mostly works as a heavy equipment operator for a building supply company. His salary is being matched in NC, with more growth potential. My salary is slightly lower.

Yes, we have found a home, close on it end of October. For the moment, we are still in Jersey.

SL

That's great!! You really did all that fast. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
Hi, We settled on our house in Mount Rainier Md on Aug 4, settled on our house in Charlotte on August 29, our son and daughter moved in on August 29 both are working, our son started with 180 cable co making less that Comcast in MD but with more potential to grow..our daughter is working as a social worker making more money that MD, my husband is still employed in DC and hopes to retire and start working before the new year and I'm just settling in but looking around for employment I have a degree in social work and experience with the welfare to work program...it looks like I'm going to have problems staying in my field so I'll just have to learn to do something else...we love it here..people have been so friendly...we haven't met a lot of natives mostly people from out of town...the air is clean...food is good...invest in a nagivation system from circuit city...then you will be free to come and go and not be stressed out and lost...it will be worth every cent...good luck

Zsazsa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte