Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
On the first point I disagree. He is definitely taking a spot and more importantly a scholarship that could go to someone who is in this country on a legal basis.

On the second point, he is 18 years old, he knows he is an illegal alien, he should take the responsibility for his situation instead of dumping it back onto society to handle. Sure his parents put him in a bad situation but it isn't the responsibility of the rest of us to put aside our laws, society, and standards to accept it. Life isn't fair for any of us and there is a time when, as an adult, you either accept the deck of cards you have been dealt, or not. I see no point in supporting lawbreakers for their entire lifetime.

If he wants to attend school in the USA, he can return to his home country and apply for a student visa, just like the many others who do follow the rules. It can't be simpler than that. There is nothing heartless about that. As for the assertion that the USA is Heartless, I would be willing to bet that you won't find a country that is as willing to take in foreigners as long as they respect our laws. I don't understand why you would imply otherwise.
Somethings you should think about(1) Re your comment "It can't be simpler than that". If that was the case then why can't OUR government come up with such a "simple" solution?
(2) "Dumping it back into society": And what are you, part of "society", doing about it? Are you pro-active with your local officals in correcting this wave of crime that is taking place? (12million and growing....not chicken feed).Have you increased your skill set thru education to best the advancing criminals that are taking over higher education (that most likely they pay for according to the link I sent you)?
(3)I don't have a horse in this race other than getting real tired listening to cry babies that play the "illegal card" time and time again. (I don't mean you personally since I don't know you and I'm sure you're not one of those.) You sound like a nice guy that's trying to express your viewpoint. Forums are good places to learn.
Have a great day. Need to go now to work and I sure hope Idon't get stopped and frisked since I really have gotten a great tan this summer.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I hardly think it is a crime to help people make the most of themselves, regardless of how their parents brought them here. She's required to teach them, and it seems that she's getting the high-achieving ones into better situations.

Most of these kids are for all intents and purposes Americans. They just weren't born here.

The one example given shows a private school with private scholarship funds. That money is not yours or mine. Even if there was some public funding, it would be better to educate those that have the aptitude for it than to create another permanent underclass.

Funny thing, we let in about the same proportion of Irish, German, Polish, Italian immigrants in the late 1800s and early 1900s (with almost non-existant regulations or restrictions) and we didn't wind up turning into those impoverished countries.
The immigrants that came to this country in the 1800's and 1900's came here LEGALLY! That means they followed all the rules and became citizens. We were not paying for their health care and subsidizing them. They gave back to their community and learned the language. Let's take care of our OWN here before we go giving to people that are not legal.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
I love watching my taxes being wisely managed by our government officials.
Nice Job, keep up the great work.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM

494 posts, read 849,968 times
I know this will likely incense some people on this board, but I think this is good policy.

U.S. Will Give Immunity to Some Young Illegal Migrants - NYTimes.com

Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
I know this will likely incense some people on this board, but I think this is good policy.

U.S. Will Give Immunity to Some Young Illegal Migrants - NYTimes.com

There goes "The law is the law" B.S..

Folks you can all put that card away now.

Oh, what this guy won't do for a vote. Pitiful.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
The immigrants that came to this country in the 1800's and 1900's came here LEGALLY! That means they followed all the rules and became citizens. We were not paying for their health care and subsidizing them. They gave back to their community and learned the language. Let's take care of our OWN here before we go giving to people that are not legal.
Because there were very few immigration restrictions (except for racially-based ones). There were literally NO restrictions before 1875 unless you had some contagious disease and they caught you at Ellis Island. Most immigrants from that time would have been illegal under their same circumstances today. (Hence why you see 30,000 illegal Irish immigrants in the US today)

Furthermore, all Europeans weren't legal. Where do you think the term "wop" comes from for Italians. "Without Papers"

Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Because there were very few immigration restrictions (except for racially-based ones). There were literally NO restrictions before 1875 unless you had some contagious disease and they caught you at Ellis Island. Most immigrants from that time would have been illegal under their same circumstances today. (Hence why you see 30,000 illegal Irish immigrants in the US today)

Furthermore, all Europeans weren't legal. Where do you think the term "wop" comes from for Italians. "Without Papers"
Just joined the forum and I have done a lot of reading. You spend a LOT of time on the forum and profess to be an expert on almost everything.

Care to share your information about 30,000 illegal Irish immigrants in the U.S.?

How about telling the rest of the story about the Asian Exclusion Act of 1875? It excluded Asians who would not work on the railroads and all Chinese women who refused to submit to prostitution once granted entry.

Can't wait.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
There is no law against non-citizens going to college. Universities except thousands of international students every year. And UNC charges then out of state tuition just like an international student.
Maybe so,,,BUT there are laws that say they cant work here if they dont have legal IDs...Let them go to college here and then return to mexico to find work....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 167,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEndingBliss View Post
Care to share your information about 30,000 illegal Irish immigrants in the U.S.?
Actually, coped had the right idea, but he was 20,000 short of the real number, which is 50,000.

"There are an estimated 50,000 Irish illegal immigrants in the U.S.; 30,000 of them are thought to live in New York City. Today, this tiny corner in the northern reaches of the Bronx is perhaps the most heavily Irish-born neighborhood in New York, and advocates believe that as many as 40% of local immigrants are undocumented. "
Read more: Illegal? Better if you're Irish - latimes.com

"In 2006, the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR) estimated that there were 50,000 illegal Irish workers in the U.S. ILIR testified that Ireland received 160 Diversity Visas out of a global total of 50,000 and approximately 2,000 Green Cards from a global total of 1 million."

Read more: Undocumented Irish have no trouble finding work in New York City | Irish News and Politics spanning the US, Ireland and the World | IrishCentral

These figures are from 2006-2007, I believe.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suqraat View Post
Actually, coped had the right idea, but he was 20,000 short of the real number, which is 50,000.
These old articles don't cite any official sources for these numbers but the it does prove that people who are against illegal aliens being given rights and amnesty, are not racist. i.e. there are illegals from all cultures & racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte