Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
In this day and age you could ask what day it is and half the US population would get it wrong.....
This entire conversation was about the media adding NC when they mention Charlotte. It's good to see that you finally agree with my first comment on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This entire conversation was about the media adding NC when they mention Charlotte. It's good to see that you finally agree with my first comment on the matter.
My last 2 post weren't about the entire convo in this thread but since you are never wrong about anything I'm not surprised I "agree" with you..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
There is nothing to prove and you are choosing to ignore what has been posted above. That chart has real numbers of people who have to know about Charlotte and they come from all over the USA. In comparison, you have simply stated that people are clueless and know nothing about this city. You don't know this based on your extremely limited anecdotal experience.
Again, still haven't seen the raw numbers and until then, my hypothesis stands - Charlotte is not that well known out west. There are quite a few people that know little or had even heard of Charlotte until presented with a job opportunity. Probably did some research and got pleasantly surprised with city offerings, cost of living and surroundings.

Charlotte isn't a major city or tourist city, nothing of iconic significance, not known for music or history, no nationally recognizable lakes or rivers nearby, thus gets slapped with the NC for clarification. Probabaly the most iconic building in NC is the Biltmore but that's near Asheville, the mountains...no wonder people live visting the place.

At least the DNC will help with the ongoing branding/marketing initiative and name recognition.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Again, still haven't seen the raw numbers and until then, my hypothesis stands - Charlotte is not that well known out west.
No matter what you call it, an opinion is an opinion. You are entitled to it. As I said earlier, I don't care if you believe this and I don't seek to change your opinion.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
So you admit that your view is just an opinion as well?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
But, I can attest that Charlotte is actually fairly well known outside the scope for which you elude. Quite a bit of of publicity and documentary has been presented on public television stations and other media in cities like London, Paris, Stockholm, Frankfort, Munchen and many other cities in Europe and Asia. It is known as a business oriented, educated, sophisticated city that is attracting lots of people from Europe and Asia due to enlightened efforts to attract business, above average work force, right to work, and accessability to international flights. It is a destination for many that want to live in a vibrant city that is affordable and children can be raised and sent to an affordable private school. What you may not want to admit is that Charlotte is experiencing big city concerns that might force you to see it as a big city. I do have a dear friend that is a sports writer for a London based magazine that was my original sponsor and host when I moved here. He is very much adicted to NASCAR racing as are a surprising number of Brits and Aussies.
It took Charlotte awhile to truly embrace Nascar, for a long time it was labeled a regional "redneck" sport. I think Charlotte's high powered banking community and city leaders could've launched a campaign in the 80s/90s to market Charlotte as the Nascar capitol of the world. Instead, they took a lukewarm approach and not until tracks opened up in Chicago, Phoenix, Texas, etc. or the increase in popularity did Bank of America start to align their brand with Nascar.

Decades ago, if the city really wanted to be known for Nascar it would not have been forced into competing to build the Nascar Hall of Fame - by the way which was initially proposed by Atlanta. Nascars peak in popularity in '04 and '05 altered the perception of some city leaders and felt the sport had outgrown it's regional image.

Nashville went out-of-its way to promote itself as the country music capitol of the world years ago. Now it's rebranded as music city, usa.

Charlotte isn't a big city (not yet) and an excellent choice as a place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Please tell me what you think I have said and then I will let you know. You have a habit of misreading my posts then drawing the wrong conclusions.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
This can be said for most cities in the USA. As much as the people from there like to think otherwise, Chicago not an Alpha city and its influence outside the Midwest as in something that people think about isn't significant. There are only 2 alpha cities in the USA, New York and Los Angeles. The rest are all regional powers with possibly national reach in a few areas.

As you said, it's not a big deal.
WOW. Chicago is not an alpha city?? There are many people who think that Chicago is a STATE onto itself.

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
... I think Charlotte's high powered banking community and city leaders could've launched a campaign in the 80s/90s to market Charlotte as the Nascar capitol of the world......
High powered banking in the 1980s? LOL In the 1980s, NCNB, First Union, & Wachovia (then based in Winston Salem) were regional banks. For most of that decade, they were not allowed to cross state lines. Charlotte's big employers of that decade were IBM, the former Royal Insurance, the Bell System, and the manufacturing and distribution industries.

The Charlotte Metro is considered the home of Nascar. Mooresville, Concord, Wilkesboro, etc have always had a huge influence on this sport. Two of the biggest races of the year are held at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Speed TV (the Speed Channel) which is a huge outlet for Nascar is based in Charlotte and they often make this point.

The 1980s Tom Cruise movie Thunder Road (about Nascar) was set in Charlotte and filmed here as well. The early 1970s TV show, "Moving On" filmed several shows in Charlotte and at the Charlotte Motor Speedway with a plot, in part that involved Nascar.

In the 1990s two of the biggest names of the next generation of drivers, Dale Earnheart and Jeff Gordon were both based in the Charlotte area. Gordon raced for Rich Hendrick who also runs one of the largest automobile dealerships in the USA, base here in Charlotte.

The owner of the tracks in Charlotte, Atlanta, California, Bristol, Las Vegas, New Hampshire, & DFW, TX is the same guy who owns Sonic Automotive that is based here in Charlotte.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would suggest that anyone would suggest the Charlotte metro wasn't known for Nascar and hasn't been that way for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte