Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Have you lived anywhere other than Charlotte?.... If so, especially west of the Mississippi, people are generally clueless about Charlotte or NC..
Did you come up with this all on your own? 25,000 people actually packed their bags and moved into this county in the last 12 months. Seems odd for a city that people are supposed to be clueless about. I've met people in Tokyo and the Uk who know where Charlotte is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Did you come up with this all on your own? 25,000 people actually packed their bags and moved into this county in the last 12 months. Seems odd for a city that people are supposed to be clueless about. I've met people in Tokyo and the Uk who know where Charlotte is.
And I've met people from Chicago who confuse it with Charleston. 25,000 people is .0001% of the US population. We're a mid-sized city similar to Columbus, Ohio or someplace else. Plus, our growth is very new. We're a regional player, but not really nationally known. That's why style convention calls for the N.C. after Charlotte.

Unless you talk to people in banking, most don't really know much about Charlotte. There's also the fact that you have a few very similar sounding city names - Charleston, SC and Charlottesville, Va. - are closeby.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
You indirectly answered my question, no, you haven't lived anywhere else it seems other than Charlotte or NC. Lol, I'm telling you what I experienced first hand, yet you completely dismiss it...figures. Charlotte really isn't on the radar as much as you think. I did however state that during the last decade or so it has managed to broaden it's brand, so has the entire south in general.

I don't have time to research but I'd wager that a lot of the in-migration in the Charlotte metro is due to in-state or from areas nearby. Opportunities in rural areas are almost nonexistent and most young people are forced to relocate to more urban areas. Also there are a ton of people along the I-95 corridor that first learned about NC via Raleigh/RTP - that is, there were a lot of people from the northeastern United States not aware that people actually lived in or relocated to towns between DC and Miami.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-22-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
You indirectly answered my question, no, you haven't lived anywhere else it seems other than Charlotte or NC. Lol, I'm telling you what I experienced first hand, yet you completely dismiss it...figures. Charlotte really isn't on the radar as much as you think. I did however state that during the last decade or so it has managed to broaden it's brand, so has the entire south in general.

I don't have time to research but I'd wager that a lot of the in-migration in the Charlotte metro is due to in-state or from areas nearby. Opportunities in rural areas are almost nonexistent and most young people are forced to relocate to more urban areas. Also there is a swarth of people along the I-95 corridor that first learned about NC via Raleigh/RTP.
Most of the in-migration is from other parts of NC and SC. It's actually leveled off with as many people leaving as coming in. The eastern seaboard and some spots in the midwest also have high numbers.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You indirectly answered my question, no, you haven't lived anywhere else it seems other than Charlotte or NC. Lol, .
Actually, if it matters at all in this topic, I've lived in Boca Raton, Northern Kentucky, coastal SC, and Anchorage, AK. Such questions are attempts to discredit which is why I didn't bother to answer it in the first place.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
And I've met people from Chicago who confuse it with Charleston. 25,000 people is .0001% of the US population..
The point is that everyone can provide their personal anecdotes. I supposed you missed that. In regards to the 25,000, those are people who actually made this decision and doesn't count others who considered it and didn't more, and it was for just 12 months. so the comparison to the total population of the USA is rather pointless.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Most of the in-migration is from other parts of NC and SC. It's actually leveled off with as many people leaving as coming in. The eastern seaboard and some spots in the midwest also have high numbers.
Thanks for the link.

I say that a picture is worth a 1000 words. I think this sorta puts the damper on the claim (opinion) that people are clueless about Charlotte.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I don't think people are clueless about Charlotte anymore but in the early 90's it was unknown to much of the outside world... The only people who knew about Charlotte were bankers and people making flight transfers at the airport...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Nationally, people don't know much about Charlotte, I'm not sure why you find it hard to understand, it's not known for anything in particular. Again, I stated that the branded has broaden the past decade, the Democratic National Convention will increase that branding.; especially for folks west of the Mississippi...look at the map.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Actually, if it matters at all in this topic, I've lived in Boca Raton, Northern Kentucky, coastal SC, and Anchorage, AK. Such questions are attempts to discredit which is why I didn't bother to answer it in the first place.
That's good to know, how long did you live in each location? lol, a week? I don't have to discredit you, you do a helluva job all by yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte