Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You that want to bash me dont know the whole story.My basic question was who was the person that should clean up this mess. Over the years I have been a very good neighbor and saved the guy allot of money. I fixed his leaking faucets, repaired a broken dimmer switch, showed him how to remove his windows, unlocked the daughters car, showed him how to re-trip a blow electric breaker, etc AND NEVER WOULD ACCEPT A DIME FOR DOING IT. I even repaired his wrecked car for a fraction of what a shop would have charged..... Now what has he done to repay my kindness? NOTHING.. Now the first chance he gets to do something that will save me some work (work that Im not even responsible to do) and he cuts the fallen log directly over the property line being careful not to remove even one inch of what is laying in my yard...How would you feel? I have severe arthritis in both hands and shoulder and doing this tree cutting will not be easy. I wanted to be a good neighbor again and cut up the entire branch but my chainsaw broke.If anyone is a bad neighbor it is this guy. I shouldn't even have to go and talk to him about the fallen branch. He should have stepped up and did the right thing when HE HAD A SAW...
Geeeez. Of course we don't know the whole story - cause you did not tell it to us!

How do you know he won't finish it up? Have you called him and asked him when he could please remove the rest - that you just are not able to tackle it. Tell him you started to do it, your chain saw went out on you and you now realize that your arthritis is bothering you to the extent that it would be a real hardship to finish it up.

I have noticed that the biggest misunderstandings in life typically arise b/c of "unmet expectations."

Have you not considered that YOU TOLD HIS DAUGHTER that you would take care of it? Have you since come back and said - OH WELL - that didn't work out as planned - could sure use your help with your tree that fell on my property?

People are not mindreaders. Just b/c you are thinking he SHOULD do xxxx, so what? Maybe he is thinking you want the wood and so made sure to tell his daughter NO WORRIES - you will handle it.

Seems you are stewing in your own juice about this. I am not bashing you, putting you down, being mean-spirited. I am saying: instead of having your feelings hurt, and getting upset and angry, why not just VOICE your disappointment and your need for assistance with this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
I should charge you folks for the cheap entertainment you get from reading this post and then take the money and pay a tree remover........Law says its his responsibility but according to you NOPE its not..Law says you can not shoot certain kinds of fireworks and can create a fire hazard,according to you NOPE,,the law dont mean a thing.....go figure I get entertained reading your post so it works both ways....lol
Crestliner - several of us have pointed out to you that the 311 person gave you the wrong info in re: to tree/debris clean up. That ordinance only applies to trees that have fallen into the city's right of way and such situations as that. It has not a blame thing to do w/ a tree falling into a neighbor's yard (unless you live on the sidewalk, of course).

Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
.My basic question was who was the person that should clean up this mess. .
I won't try to bash you but here are my thoughts:
  • Given what you posted, you are responsible for removing the branch. The only exception would be if the neighbor's negligence caused it to fall.
  • Maybe your neighbor realizes the above and decided not to touch the log on your property. After all it is your property and he doesn't have your permission to remove it. He might think you might want to use it for firewood or something. Give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Expectations lead to resentments. Go talk to him if it bothers you. You most likely will find that your assumptions about him are completely wrong. He may offer to clean it up without you asking.
  • Ignore the nonsense posted above about getting officials and the legal system involved. Do you really want to go there over a tree branch?
  • If you don't want to talk to him, then go hire someone to remove it. It's not worth the trials and tribulations you are putting yourself through. Once it's gone, let it go and move on. Life is too short.
You can't control others, but you can control how you react to others.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 AM

291 posts, read 870,223 times
Ani & Frewroad -
I appreciate your non-bashing of the original poster and just offering good advice with a kind spirit...the world needs more of that....thank you for just being nice!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
I should charge you folks for the cheap entertainment you get from reading this post and then take the money and pay a tree remover........Law says its his responsibility but according to you NOPE its not..Law says you can not shoot certain kinds of fireworks and can create a fire hazard,according to you NOPE,,the law dont mean a thing.....go figure I get entertained reading your post so it works both ways....lol
Law this Law that, you want to claim it is the law, cite the law chapter and section.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Folks are being rude on this thread.

I agree with the OP. The neighbor was out of town. He should have made an effort to check in with his neighbor when he returned. The first thing I would have done is leave a note and ask the homeowner if he would like us to remove the rest of the limb on his side. Especially if you have been cordial in the past.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post

I agree with the OP. The neighbor was out of town. He should have made an effort to check in with his neighbor when he returned. The first thing I would have done is leave a note and ask the homeowner if he would like us to remove the rest of the limb on his side. Especially if you have been cordial in the past.
this is key... but I'm pretty sure the OP said he was busy the last few days and wasn't around. If the 2 neighbors haven't talked yet I'm pretty sure there is some tension.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post

I can understand this - BUT - you can't control what another person does. You can wish they would be different, but that never, ever changes anything - other than raising your own stress levels. Starting with just accepting that the neighbor handled it differently than you would like is the first step; finding personal insult and slaps in the face where there have been none doesn't need to be part of it.

I can get stressed and frustrated, wishing everyone was as sweet and reasonable as I am, or I can take a deep breath and recognize not everyone is going to be, and act from there. Stomping my feet and suing folks and taking things personally doesn't EVER change the other person's behavior or values, it only has negative effects in my own life, and ruins relationships when it didn't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you called him and asked him when he could please remove the rest - that you just are not able to tackle it. Tell him you started to do it, your chain saw went out on you and you now realize that your arthritis is bothering you to the extent that it would be a real hardship to finish it up.
This. Absolutely. *Especially* if you've done a lot of things for the neighbor, he'll probably be glad for a chance to pay you back. Some people don't think of that first, but there's no need to take that personally.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
All this drama about a dadgum limb!

How's this for rude:
Shoot me a message, tell me where you live and a good time to stop by and I'll bring my truck and my chainsaw and remove the limb for you.

No problem!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times
I drove by and took a pic, you're right, I wouldn't know what to do with that either!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte