Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I totally get that. However, do you honestly think that some of those examples the OP listed warranted such a long rant about Charlotte? Here's a better question. How many times on this forum and in real life has someone expressed those same issues as the OP and listed some of those southern cities as "shining examples" of how things should be better in Charlotte? I'm not just talking about culture here. I'm talking about the issues of bad drivers, loud public conversations, horrible infrastructure, etc (ya know, all of the things that the OP cited). Is "big city" and/or "midsized city" culture lacking in Charlotte? You bet it is! However, culture was only one aspect of the OP's issues as I read them. Or did I miss something?
Yeah I don't get the other stuff; was just focusing on the cultural aspect since that was being specifically discussed when I made my post.

Quote:
And one more thing. Everytime I go to Charleston, I am amazed at how the business community cares sooooo much about their arts and history yet cares sooooo little about the large number of poor inner city residents just north of downtown. Trust me, everytime I go to Charleston, I take time out to shoot a little basketball with those kids (many of whom didn't know their fathers like I never knew mine). It saddens me when they find out that I'm a tourist because they always ask me "are you lost, people from out of town never come here"? Then when I return to Charlotte from Charleston, I am amazed at how much time, energy, and money was spent by BofA at making Earle Village homes into "1st Ward Place" (the type of neighborhood one can be proud to call home).

My point here is that Charlotte's business community places a higher value on the eyesores of uptown moreso than music directors. Knowing this is why a person like me can appreciate Charlotte for what it is; it's because I am aware of Charlotte's history and the tough choices the city had to make. I wonder how many times did the OP soak up the culture of the REAL Charleston on their way to see the overpaid music director. Like I said, wrong choice of examples.
Well we're talking about a bit of a different dynamic here. Charleston's business community is largely centered in blue-collar industries that don't have a presence downtown, like manufacturing, defense contracting, etc. The tourism industry downtown is mostly relegated to the historic district south of Calhoun. Thus there's really no need for the business community to invest in urban development as they don't necessarily profit from such; the urban revitalization of downtown which began in the 70's with Mayor Riley's leadership was also much more of a civic-led endeavor than a business-led one. However, urban development was intricately tied to banking in Uptown Charlotte as Hugh McColl wanted to raise the profile of Charlotte as something approaching a cosmopolitan city in connection with the rapid growth of the banking industry to make the city, specifically Uptown, more attractive for further investment. So it wasn't completely borne out of purely charitable sentiment as BOA and the banking industry certainly had something to gain here, but Charlotte is definitely all the better for it. More development is coming to peninsular Charleston north of Calhoun, but I'm not sure how much of it will consist of mixed-income residential development especially since more Blacks are headed to the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Calling this a "young city" is a hoot. Charlotte has been around longer than the majority of cities in the USA.
Actually this is pretty accurate. Charlotte has existed for a long time but has only been a significantly-sized city for a few decades. It also lacks a lot of the historic urban fabric that existed earlier on, having been replaced by more modern structures (for the stuff that was actually replaced).

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
MUTINY - thanks for the further explanation on the "young city" comment. I agree with you. This city SHOULD have a "Willamsburg" persona in at least part of the city . . . and a more prominent Queen Anne/Victorian look in some of the residential areas . . . something that could have been capitalized on for tourism and would have given this city a distinctive flavor and aura.

Unfortunately, much of Charlotte was cobbled together like a gold rush town (wh/ it was) . . . unsubstantial buildings - more like what you would find in early Denver than in Philadelphia. There was nothing much worth preserving by 1950 and what could have been salvaged, wasn't. Charlotte made certain she would have no identifiable "vibe" or period to associate the city with when buildings were bulldozed and architectural review folks (if they existed) did not insist on an 18th C (or heck - even a Victorian era) design for all new structures.

It has been one misstep after another, as far as historic preservation (or even - paying homage to Charlotte's historic roots). In that sense, you are right: Charlotte seems young and undefined.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
MUTINY - thanks for the further explanation on the "young city" comment. I agree with you. This city SHOULD have a "Willamsburg" persona in at least part of the city . . . and a more prominent Queen Anne/Victorian look in some of the residential areas . . . something that could have been capitalized on for tourism and would have given this city a distinctive flavor and aura.

Unfortunately, much of Charlotte was cobbled together like a gold rush town (wh/ it was) . . . unsubstantial buildings - more like what you would find in early Denver than in Philadelphia. There was nothing much worth preserving by 1950 and what could have been salvaged, wasn't. Charlotte made certain she would have no identifiable "vibe" or period to associate the city with when buildings were bulldozed and architectural review folks (if they existed) did not insist on an 18th C (or heck - even a Victorian era) design for all new structures.

It has been one misstep after another, as far as historic preservation (or even - paying homage to Charlotte's historic roots). In that sense, you are right: Charlotte seems young and undefined.
Yes, I agree. I have a book that details much of the historic urban stock that was razed in Uptown and it makes me sad. At least a nice amount of the mills were saved.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
O.k. maybe I am getting old. Maybe a little cranky. Just curious why people post their 'I hate Charlotte' threads.

Look, I was born here and I NEVER ASKED YOU TO MOVE HERE. If you don't like it that is FINE WITH ME....MOVE.

I don't mean that in a mean way I just mean WHO EVER PROMISED YOU THAT CHARLOTTE WAS THE PROMISED LAND????
I rarely go to museums, concerts, restaurants, etc. but I am happy with my life here. My family is here and my job is here and I am fine here. I would probably like it better if Charlotte was like it was many years ago - less traffic, less attitude, etc. but unfortunately too many people decided to move here and complain about my hometown.

If you don't like that Charlotte doesn't have history, music, good food, nice people, good roads, WHATEVER, then PLEASE MOVE. You will not hurt my feelings (and there are unfortunately many people willing to take your place).

I wish people would realize that NO PLACE will make you happy - happiness comes from within!

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 08-08-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
Hey, there's nothing like a good "Goodbye cruel world!" thread on City-Data to get people venting!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

222 posts, read 550,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
O.k. maybe I am getting old. Maybe a little cranky. Just curious why people post their 'I hate Charlotte' threads. Look, I was born here and I NEVER ASKED YOU TO MOVE HERE. If you don't like it that is FINE WITH ME....MOVE.
I don't mean that in a mean way I just mean WHERE WERE YOU EVER PROMISED THAT CHARLOTTE WAS THE PROMISED LAND????
Blame the people who go around trying to get everyone to move to Charlotte by shouting down anyone who claims that Charlotte isn't the perfect city for everyone, sort of like the Emerald City on Wizard of Oz.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
OP seems to me the prototypical "glass 1/2 empty", "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" kind of person, hence his/her perpetual run for the "perfect place". Or maybe it is just the disappointment on the professional job career in Charlotte that I sense through the narrative...

Or maybe things are just as they appear on the surface, big disappointment on the lack of sophisticated urban life which I'm sure most here can understand. But if this is what one craves in his life, it is foolish to expect it in Charlotte, since there is no way it can compete with cities at least twice the size or very well known for the artistic/sophisticated factor.

I hope OP settles down in the "best comprise place" he can find, and get lucky to find a partner to complement his personality, so he gets to enjoy most life moments, regardless where he is.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
No need for anyone to get defensive about what the OP said. It is personal opinion, after all. If he likes San Francisco or Charlottesville, Virginia (lol) that's his thing. Charlotte has many positives and is a great large city for many of us. There are many reasons this area is among the fastest growing in the country - and having a world-class symphony, or a huge college with glowstick nightclubs surrounding it are not on the list. Not for everyone, for sure.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with what the OP said. It's how the city looks through his lenses.

Actually I would say sometimes it takes an outsider to "point out the skunk in the room". Charlotte does have some pretense about it, a willingness to remain in denial about things. (The many repeat offenders that are let off easy come to mind.) I still remember the police claiming in the early 2000's that Charlotte "Doesn't have a gang problem".

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
No need for anyone to get defensive about what the OP said. It is personal opinion, after all. If he likes San Francisco or Charlottesville, Virginia (lol) that's his thing. Charlotte has many positives and is a great large city for many of us. There are many reasons this area is among the fastest growing in the country - and having a world-class symphony, or a huge college with glowstick nightclubs surrounding it are not on the list. Not for everyone, for sure.
EXACTLY!!! Maybe the OP should try the college town of Huntington, West Virginia? Marshall Univ has a STRONG presence in that downtown area. Pullman square is a nice area, and it has a decent amount of the old historic look that the OP seems to crave. Just be careful about going to riverfront park by yourself for an evening stroll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte