Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 54,129 times

Advertisements

What do you like and dislike about Charlotte, NC?

I'll go first:

• Meet people from other cities
  • Progressive- although, I think they spend the money in the wrong ways.
  • There is no "real ghetto" like other cities.
Dislikes
  • The money that Charlotte have is being spent unwisely.
  • The inconsistent behaviors- this is because people from all over the US come here. You will go in settings that have friendly atmospheres, and then you will go to areas that are not welcoming.
  • No African American culture.
  • It's hard to find a job at this place- not because there aren't any, but they are picky on who to give them to. It's so many people, that they can be choosy on who to pick for certain positions.
  • Overpopulated for it's size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 PM

245 posts, read 881,300 times
I am interested in what you said about one of your dislikes...no african american culture...

what do you specifically mean by that? I know they have the musuem, parades and activities, 100 Black Men is there, HBCU

what are you looking for when you say this?

(I ask because I am AfAm who will be relocating soon)

Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM

42 posts, read 63,504 times
Default top TEN things to dislike about CHARLOTTE, NC

1.Roads, potholes poor Interstate planning ie: Johnston Road/ Ballentyne area access to I 485. Who designs an Interstate access that requires a left hand turn? Ever heard of a cloverleaf that keeps trafffic flowing?
2.Traffic/drivers
3. 7 independent mechanics that can't find a vacuum leak in a Jeep Cherokee AND THE LYING NO GOOD Rotten lazy cheating WPOS MEINEKE MECHANICs on North TRYON that say I have 9 codes on my jeep needing every solenoid /fuse/ filter/changed out and a new CATALYTIC Converter, $$$$ but really... all it needed was a purge valve (30$$ from auto parts store) that I a 50 yr old white female changed myself, and I found the piece of kleenex YOU stuffed in the end of a vacuum line under the battery box. AH *^*&%% %^&^$$%^ Grrr! CEL is now off thank you!
4. Homeless Homeless Homeless everywhere... and when they beg for something to eat and you happen to hand them a pack of Lance Crackers, they THROW THEM BACK AT YOU, screaming and cursing! Stay hungry my friend.
5. Gunshots at 4 am.
6. TRAIN NOISE Train WHISTLES all night long. 3 longs 3 shorts. All night long, no wonder Obama stayed in Ballentyne
7. Did I say GUNSHOTS AND Police that don't answer to calls or complaints.
8. Backpack blowers in the parking garages at 1am, cleaning the Parking Garages.
If you live @ an apartment in the middle of the city, close to Panthers Stadium, you will hear the high pitch of the Stihl Backpack blower as the police drive by unphased. There is a un-enforced noise ordinance and a over enforced fire ordinance.
Try navigating the Charmek website to find the ordinances and when you show them to the police they argue with you. Black and White vs a Badge.
9. Motorcycle races up and down the city parking garages @ 1am-3am. Unbearable noise bouncing off the buildings.
10. TAXES! good God they tax everything here.
one more TIME WARNER CABLE UGghhhh! no customer service

Likes,
International markets varieties of cultures and peoples
Le's Sandwiches Vietnamese sammy Get the #7 @ the bombed out looking Asian corner N Tryon and Sugar Creek RD. Mercedes, Land Cruisers and Audi's in the parking lot
Crazy Fish on Central OMG Ceviche Tacos!
Lupies on 7th it's a dive and good food
Hawthorne Pizza GOOD
Midwood BARBQUE omg get the PECAN COBBLER!
LULU on Central
Many Mexican Joints on Central just good eats here
DEE JAI on Providence Thai food
Midnight Diner Carson and S. Tryon I have polled my patients and they prefer Midnight Diner fried chicken to the Coop. Really.
ok thanks for letting me vent and I have reciepts from Meineke so I know what I am talking about.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2nooga2harlot View Post
1.Roads, potholes poor Interstate planning ie: Johnston Road/ Ballentyne area access to I 485. Who designs an Interstate access that requires a left hand turn? Ever heard of a cloverleaf that keeps trafffic flowing?
2.Traffic/drivers
3. 7 independent mechanics that can't find a vacuum leak in a Jeep Cherokee AND THE LYING NO GOOD Rotten lazy cheating WPOS MEINEKE MECHANICs on North TRYON that say I have 9 codes on my jeep needing every solenoid /fuse/ filter/changed out and a new CATALYTIC Converter, $$$$ but really... all it needed was a purge valve (30$$ from auto parts store) that I a 50 yr old white female changed myself, and I found the piece of kleenex YOU stuffed in the end of a vacuum line under the battery box. AH *^*&%% %^&^$$%^ Grrr! CEL is now off thank you!
4. Homeless Homeless Homeless everywhere... and when they beg for something to eat and you happen to hand them a pack of Lance Crackers, they THROW THEM BACK AT YOU, screaming and cursing! Stay hungry my friend.
5. Gunshots at 4 am.
6. TRAIN NOISE Train WHISTLES all night long. 3 longs 3 shorts. All night long, no wonder Obama stayed in Ballentyne
7. Did I say GUNSHOTS AND Police that don't answer to calls or complaints.
8. Backpack blowers in the parking garages at 1am, cleaning the Parking Garages.
If you live @ an apartment in the middle of the city, close to Panthers Stadium, you will hear the high pitch of the Stihl Backpack blower as the police drive by unphased. There is a un-enforced noise ordinance and a over enforced fire ordinance.
Try navigating the Charmek website to find the ordinances and when you show them to the police they argue with you. Black and White vs a Badge.
9. Motorcycle races up and down the city parking garages @ 1am-3am. Unbearable noise bouncing off the buildings.
10. TAXES! good God they tax everything here.
one more TIME WARNER CABLE UGghhhh! no customer service

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Where are you living for pete's sake?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
Fairly good public transportation. I have had times where my car was acting up, and I like being able to get around without bugging people for rides.

The greenway system. This gets better every year.

Enough commerical variety for me. I'm not into trends, fashionable stuff, but Charlotte is large enough to have a smattering of ethinic restaurants and competing natural food stores.

Dislikes:

CMS. I have never lived someplace before with such a circus of personalities and bad vibes from the school board. I don't even have children! But I'm so tired of the political theater anyway.

N.C. income taxes. I've begun putting some posts in the Tennesee forum. Probably won't be here sometime next year...

Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Fairly good public transportation. I have had times where my car was acting up, and I like being able to get around without bugging people for rides.

The greenway system. This gets better every year.

Enough commerical variety for me. I'm not into trends, fashionable stuff, but Charlotte is large enough to have a smattering of ethinic restaurants and competing natural food stores.

Dislikes:

CMS. I have never lived someplace before with such a circus of personalities and bad vibes from the school board. I don't even have children! But I'm so tired of the political theater anyway.

N.C. income taxes. I've begun putting some posts in the Tennesee forum. Probably won't be here sometime next year...
Don't move to Raleigh, lol, it's 10 times worse! What a hornet's nest!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't move to Raleigh, lol, it's 10 times worse! What a hornet's nest!
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the CMS comment. Wake County might be the most screwed up School District I have ever seen/heard about.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM

196 posts, read 428,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
What do you like and dislike about Charlotte, NC?

• Progressive- although, I think they spend the money in the wrong ways.
Progressive? Charlotte? Maybe compared to cities in the deep south...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,671 times
Can you elaborate more on the taxes? What is your sales tax ? Just wondering - know somebody who just moved there.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
I don't see this as a negative.

I think most places would like the opportunity to say no to less desirable employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
[*][*]It's hard to find a job at this place- not because there aren't any, but they are picky on who to give them to. It's so many people, that they can be choosy on who to pick for certain positions.[*][*]Overpopulated for it's size.[/list]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte