Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,810,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
The OP has a degree.

From the census (converted to hrly rate assuming a 40hr work week) USA medians
Associates degree $21
Bachelors degree $27
Masters degree $34

My husband has a Masters (working in a position that REQUIRED a Masters plus very specific experience) plus 15 yrs experience and is earning $24 per hr in Charlotte. Wy below the US median.
Which US mean are you referring to? The $34/hr which you quoted above or the US mean within his industry? Basically, is his problem a Charlotte issue or an industry issue?

I found that link interesting which broke-out industry-by-industry where Charlotte stood - educators in Charlotte were 10% below their peers while folks in sales are +8% versus their peers.

If that's true, then perhaps the industry is as big a factor as region, when doing wage comparisons versus the overall US mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
So they can pay them less than experienced workers.
Zee Germans are paying $160,000 per student, so it doesn't sound like they are trying to get anything on the cheap.
If supply exceeds demand, as is being claimed, then surely these all these experienced-but-unemployed workers would be causing a shrink in wages - lessening the gap bt. themselves and the newbies. And if that's the case there'd be no need to spend $160k per student on educational training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM

123 posts, read 192,906 times
To clarify a few things when I originally created this post I was referring primarily to the banking industry (after all that is by and far the most dominant industry here, some would argue outside of healthcare it's the only industry here although we know that isn't true). I just wanted to get an idea of what others thought. I don't have all the numbers regarding the employment statistics, but I can talk regarding my personal experiences and I was simply curious regarding the personal experiences of others here. Also numbers don't always completely tell the truth (there are times when statistics are manipulated, to an extent at least).

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,734,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
True...as someone who has held a full time time job and a part time job, thats not something i want to go back to....Luckily was able to land a full time position with a decent salary....Sorry but I dont want to spend day and night working extra just to make ends meet.
You know Arizona is a Right to Work state, right? We have had this same conversation about Phoenix. Just like Charlotte there are some good paying jobs out here as it is a larger economy, but for those not in those occupations it is minimum wage city!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM

162 posts, read 240,402 times
Please stop quoting statistics as to Charlotte being an above average city for wages, it is not, nor is the surrounding Charlotte area. Just go to indeed.com at look at the average pay for most jobs, this is an area of between $25,000-$45,000 a year jobs. If you can crack the $50,000 ceiling you are doing well, $60,000 even better. After that there is not much in the $70,000-$100,000 range. In the Medical field because CHS has become an area Monopoly they have kept pay down for workers while actually charging patients more for standard procedures than are charged in "bigger" cities. The state needs to break up CHS because there is basically no competition, yes Presby is out there but not on the scale of CHS, they own everything, from Hospitals,clinics,doctors offices etc. If you lose your job or never get hired by CHS and are in the Medical field you almost have no other choice but to move in order to find work. Teacher pay in this area is horrendous, Police officers also make $13-$15 an hr. The big lie is the supposed "low cost of living". The only thing I find cheap in the Charlotte area is housing, other than that gas, food, clothing and sales tax are not much lower than larger Northern cities. The prices Dentists charge here are criminal. Charlotte has it's fine points including the weather, as for worker pay it is terrible. Now the haters will come out and tell me to move back up North....you can start now.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,357,486 times
But there is a difference between wages being around the national average (what the numbers seem to suggest), and being "lower than bigger cities," or as one pessimist in this thread put it, "not as high as they thought."

Yes, things like gas, food and sales tax are the same if not higher than larger Northern cities, but the difference in home prices and property taxes more than make up for that.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
Please stop quoting statistics as to Charlotte being an above average city for wages, it is not, nor is the surrounding Charlotte area. Just go to indeed.com at look at the average pay for most jobs,
LOL at you trying to shut down facts you don't like. Indeed.com is superior because it has ads like this:

$35/hour Part Time Positions Now
Hiring. Must Have a Computer.

So your own source says there are jobs available here that are part time at $70K per year.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,979,004 times
Quote:
. If you lose your job or never get hired by CHS and are in the Medical field you almost have no other choice but to move in order to find work.
In the Charlotte area in terms of hospitals, there is Gaston Memorial, Piedmont Medical Center, Springs Memorial, and in the Lake Norman area, Lake Norman Regional, Iredell Memorial, and Davis Regional Medical Center.

None of these are part of CHS. There are also endless options in private offices and clinics too.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
LOL at you trying to shut down facts you don't like. Indeed.com is superior because it has ads like this:

$35/hour Part Time Positions Now
Hiring. Must Have a Computer.

So your own source says there are jobs available here that are part time at $70K per year.
if you actually think there is a real job behind that post I feel very sorry for you.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In the Charlotte area in terms of hospitals, there is Gaston Memorial, Piedmont Medical Center, Springs Memorial, and in the Lake Norman area, Lake Norman Regional, Iredell Memorial, and Davis Regional Medical Center.

None of these are part of CHS. There are also endless options in private offices and clinics too.
If you think there are "endless" options in the medical field in this area you yourself should be checked by a Doctor quickly.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,979,004 times
Quote:
If you think there are "endless" options in the medical field in this area you yourself should be checked by a Doctor quickly.
I'm sorry you didn't like my response, but it doesn't change any of the facts stated by me an others about the matter. I just listed 8 hospitals in this area that are not part of CHS or Presby and with them come a very large number of doctors offices and clinics associated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte