Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
It is that factor that brings 30K plus new citizens to the area annually. All else is relative.
Is that a real stat or your personal feelings?

Not sure we're suppose to use real stats on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Is that a real stat or your personal feelings?

Not sure we're suppose to use real stats on this thread.
The figure is exactly close. Unfortunately exactly almost 22K are unemployed.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
LOL at you trying to shut down facts you don't like. Indeed.com is superior because it has ads like this:

$35/hour Part Time Positions Now
Hiring. Must Have a Computer.

So your own source says there are jobs available here that are part time at $70K per year.
Indeed.com is a superior site, I found my last 3 jobs using it.
I moved here from MI (used to be a non-right to work state) 4 years ago and had a 22% increase in pay for the job I moved for. I found another one here recently making 33% more, which is 40k more than I made in MI.

I would definitley say this is not a low-wage city.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Indeed.com is a superior site, I found my last 3 jobs using it.
I moved here from MI (used to be a non-right to work state) 4 years ago and had a 22% increase in pay for the job I moved for. I found another one here recently making 33% more, which is 40k more than I made in MI.

I would definitley say this is not a low-wage city.

You are the exception. But try telling that to the other low wage-earners in this city or worker that has to work 2jobs or sometimes 3 just to make ends meet.... Really dont think they would agree with that analysis.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
..... But try telling that to the other low wage-earners in this city or worker that has to work 2jobs or sometimes 3 just to make ends meet.... Really dont think they would agree with that analysis.
Whether they agree or not isn't relevant to the issue. There are people like this in every city. What they get paid is a matter of the individual's talents and not the place where they happen to live.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM

123 posts, read 192,670 times
I agree people are paid for their talents, unless there is a surplus of workers who have similar talents and a limited number of jobs, and they are all competing for the same job possibly causing employers to pay less because well they can.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super karate man View Post
I agree people are paid for their talents, unless there is a surplus of workers who have similar talents and a limited number of jobs, and they are all competing for the same job possibly causing employers to pay less because well they can.
If they are short sighted. I lost a job I had because the economy was so bad for this company (a major printer who lost a lot of customers). I was replaced by someone willing to work 3rd shift doing international IT support in two languages for $30K.

But how can you have a long term relationship with someone if you take advantage of them? They are going to jump ship as soon as they can.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM

123 posts, read 192,670 times
Exactly and I fear a lot of employers here are short sighted. You see a fair amount of that in Charlotte (IT is notorious for it, entry level jobs requiring what? three years experience?). The numbers regarding wages may say one thing but I don't know about that. Seeing something on paper is good and you can't ignore the numbers (you need some factual basis right?), but what happens when the numbers don't match up with your real world experience. Nothing tells the story like personal experience. To go full circle that is why i created this post. There is nothing like real feedback from people (albeit some a little emotional but hey it comes with the territory of cyberspace).

Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super karate man View Post
Exactly and I fear a lot of employers here are short sighted. You see a fair amount of that in Charlotte (IT is notorious for it, entry level jobs requiring what? three years experience?). The numbers regarding wages may say one thing but I don't know about that. Seeing something on paper is good and you can't ignore the numbers (you need some factual basis right?), but what happens when the numbers don't match up with your real world experience. Nothing tells the story like personal experience. To go full circle that is why i created this post. There is nothing like real feedback from people (albeit some a little emotional but hey it comes with the territory of cyberspace).
Well it only happened once to me and it was with a Fortune 500 company based out of Chicago. So it wasn't related to being in Charlotte it was just working for *****.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Whether they agree or not isn't relevant to the issue. There are people like this in every city. What they get paid is a matter of the individual's talents and not the place where they happen to live.
Actually agree.

How long have all the people that are complaining lived in Charlotte? Yes, the unemployment is higher here than in other cities, but starting salaries have gone down everywhere.

"It's harder to get a good paying job in Charlotte in 2012 than it was to get one in Phoenix in 2006!!" Ya think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte