Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
People who think California is a paradise either:

A) have never lived here.
B) have their head in the sand.
C) are delusional.

Paradise is a lot more than good weather. California is #4 on a list of the most tax burdened states.

State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2010 | Tax Foundation

The politicians in California are truely insane. Then again, that may be a nationwide thing. I'll probably catch some flak for this, but....there are blocks in San Diego where every business and sign is in Spanish. No English at all. I could blindfold you, set you down there and you'd think I dropped you in Mexico.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I don't like the beach. At all. Oh, you can spearfish at lunch? Big whoop. If you like that, more power to you. In my opinion the negatives outweigh the positives.
who the hell spear fishes at lunch? Really... that's a long lunch IMO. It's like going hunting during lunch... it can be done but why?

I visited LA and loved it but I had to remember I was on a visit and it wasn't an every day grind in traffic. I can see why people would like CA but there is a reason they aren't IN Cali right now.

They simply can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
who the hell spear fishes at lunch? Really... that's a long lunch IMO.
Whats wrong with that? My cousin lives in Aliso Viejo and he tells me that some of his co-workers come to work with surfboard in tow because they went surfing before coming into work.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Whats wrong with that? My cousin lives in Aliso Viejo and he tells me that some of his co-workers come to work with surfboard in tow because they went surfing before coming into work.
Nothing but most people could careless about surfboarding or spearfishing. So attempting to degrade or belittle places like Charlotte or NC because it doesn't "measure-up" to unique aspects about a geographical area or the way an individual decides to invest their spare time in certain activities is silly. Whether it be playing the piano in the church choir, water beast wrestling or sitting on the front porch watching the sun go down; people like what they like and it doesn't mean you're any smarter or exist in some advanced cultural scene...no, people are people on the west coast, Appalachia, big sky country or NYC....to each their own and that requires a very balanced person to admire and respect that.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Nobody is belittling Charlotte, but dont try to play it up, like it is the "end all, be all" city. because it is not. To each his/her own.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
nothing wrong with exercising before work... but spear fishing at lunch? C'mon... that's stupid. That sounds like something you do just so you can type it on a forum.

spearfishing, snorkeling and any other activity that you can do in the ocean being done during "lunch" just sounds immature when comparing cities.

I get it... the ocean is close, but it's also close to Wilmington and anyone who says they fish, swim, dive, etc in the ocean during lunch would get the same response.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Nothing but most people could careless about surfboarding or spearfishing. So attempting to degrade or belittle places like Charlotte or NC because it doesn't "measure-up" to unique aspects about a geographical area or the way an individual decides to invest their spare time in certain activities is silly. Whether it be playing the piano in the church choir, water beast wrestling or sitting on the front porch watching the sun go down; people like what they like and it doesn't mean you're any smarter or exist in some advanced cultural scene...no, people are people on the west coast, Appalachia, big sky country or NYC....to each their own and that requires a very balanced person to admire and respect that.
This says it much better than I could. Any place can be great to some people and there are positives and negatives about anyplace.

To me, California is simply too costly to live and has too many regulations for people (Nannies) and businesses. If some people don't care about that, more power to them.

I'm sure Charlotte isn't the next Garden of Eden, but based on what I saw when I was there and what my reseacrh has shown, I think we would like it better. The grass always seems greener and anything is possible. I could get there and hate it, but I sincerley doubt it. Thanks to the US Air Force, I've lived in Wyoming, North Dakota and Japan. I liked them all. Especially North Dakota in the winter .

A place is what you make of it. I have the option of leaving and I choose to do so.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
nothing wrong with exercising before work... but spear fishing at lunch? C'mon... that's stupid. That sounds like something you do just so you can type it on a forum.

spearfishing, snorkeling and any other activity that you can do in the ocean being done during "lunch" just sounds immature when comparing cities.

I get it... the ocean is close, but it's also close to Wilmington and anyone who says they fish, swim, dive, etc in the ocean during lunch would get the same response.
Sorry, this is my fault. I thought I saw something in this thread from someone that said SoCal was great because they could spearfish at lunch. I can't find it now. Maybe it was in my head.

I used to work in an office that was a few blocks from the beach and one co-worker would go surf at lunch a couple times a week. I never understood it and most of the time he was late coming back.

We have since closed that office and he doesn't work here anymore. I can't imagine why.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Sorry, this is my fault. I thought I saw something in this thread from someone that said SoCal was great because they could spearfish at lunch. I can't find it now. Maybe it was in my head.

I used to work in an office that was a few blocks from the beach and one co-worker would go surf at lunch a couple times a week. I never understood it and most of the time he was late coming back.

We have since closed that office and he doesn't work here anymore. I can't imagine why.
No worries...

I know the beach is close but it sure sounded like people were listing off things at lunch that would certainly make you late.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
I'm looking forward to moving to Charlotte soon.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Nobody is belittling Charlotte, but dont try to play it up, like it is the "end all, be all" city. because it is not. To each his/her own.
No one I know on this forum has claimed Charlotte to be such, but you've declared that the west coast is utopia...."west" coast babe that lives in Charlotte. The west coast isn't the "end all, be all" so maybe you should take your own advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte