Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
So when the NFL pulls and the city still is doing fine, what will say next? LOL at comparing the NFL to BoA?

Are you guys going to apologize for him next year too? A degree in social studies. Nice! Better than basketweaving But hey after 3 schools and off year, what an accomplishment

I wonder what towels he will be rocking next year.
Cam is better than me... if I made 20 mill last year I wouldnt go back to school even if they gave me a degree. Do you have a Cam sensor? lol

st. louis voted against a stadium tax and lost the cardinals... a few years later they approved a new stadium and snagged the Rams. Seattle watched the Sonics owner move to OKC... and now they are trying real hard to get the Kings to move to Seattle.

Studies show rent, wages and pride improve when a city has a professional team. Of course it helps if they win but the NFL is huge... it would be foolish to let them leave.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Quote:
So when the NFL pulls and the city still is doing fine, what will say next? LOL at comparing the NFL to BoA?
Huh? I don't think anyone is saying the city will shut down if the Panthers leave, but the NFL has a much larger impact than the NBA.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Quote:
So when the NFL pulls and the city still is doing fine, what will say next? LOL at comparing the NFL to BoA?.......
Indeed. Claim was made about professional sports leaving city. Except.... Professioal sports, NBA, already did leave the city with no ill effect.... Automatic Response - discredit the messenger. Claim NFL > NBA LOL You could set a clock by it.

This is how professional sports is defended. Opinion expressed as "fact", and discredit the real facts. You saw it here first hand.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. Claim was made about professional sports leaving city. Except.... Professioal sports, NBA, already did leave the city with no ill effect.... Automatic Response - discredit the messenger. Claim NFL > NBA LOL You could set a clock by it.

This is how professional sports is defended. Opinion expressed as "fact", and discredit the real facts. You saw it here first hand.
Your opinion isnt the real facts.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,903 times
Quote:

Are you guys going to apologize for him next year too? A degree in social studies. Nice! Better than basketweaving But hey after 3 schools and off year, what an accomplishment

I wonder what towels he will be rocking next year.
So you and Cam had the same major...why the grief? But like any other business leaving town, it will have an immediate impact on employees and the supply chain or other businesses that depend on the revenue...if Nascar decides to only hold one race in Charlotte each year, it will have an impact..

Nobody is claiming the city will fold up.........

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, I realize your post was in response to the words "sports franchise," and the Hornets are in fact a sports franchise. But that doesn't change the fact that there are mountains of facts showing how much more impact the NFL has than the NBA. And as Felt mentioned, all you did was provide an opinion and a personal anecdote from 10 years ago. Not sure how that qualifies as fact, as implied by the bolded portion of your quote above.

Regardless, the Hornets aren't a good example because even when the Hornets left Charlotte knew they would be getting a new team. The NBA was only "gone" for 2 years.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Your opinion isnt the real facts.
Lol, it's a "real" fact when it's their opinion. The city council composed of dems/repubs overwhelmingly support the stadium improvements. It's easy to oppose something based on opinion versus sitting through tons of meetings and reviewing mounds of data/information (facts).

Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Never said it did. However it was you who asked the rhetorical question in the first person. Since you did this, then I felt free to offer my observation in the first person.

When the Hornets left Charlotte, I didn't see where it had much affect on anything. The doom & gloom prophecies about a professional sports team leaving an area are way overstated. The Hornets departure proves this.
Please underscore any reference I made to doom & gloom. Please reread what I posted "plenty of business and people will be impacted if the team relocates"....I don't know where doom and gloom came from....that's your perspective, not mine.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM

But I also think there is a difference between "approving of the improvements" and accepting them as the cost of doing business with the NFL. I don't agree with public money providing huge subsidies to private businesses, but for professional sports teams, this is not unique to Charlotte. In fact it's much more unique when teams don't use any public money. If this means ensuring the Panthers stay in Charlotte then I think you have to do it.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
.... "plenty of business and people will be impacted if the team relocates".........
What does "plenty" mean? Is "plenty" worth $189M in money from the taxpayers? The $189M is easy to quantify. Unless some real quantification can be made of the impact that you speak of, then such statements to me are FUD at best and "doom & gloom" by intent.

And while we are at it, what is the impact of hitting the population with $189M in extra taxes. How many jobs and businesses will be impacted by this? The restaurant association has already come out against it. Why is government putting one private business, the one owned by Jerry Richardson, above 1000s of other private businesses, restaurants owners.

If people want to make a value judgement then this is the type of due diligence that should be performed. The fact that the city, which often spends huge sums on studies, hasn't produced one iota of data, speaks volumes about the fact they don't want any of this to come out. If this were a private business, where money has to be accounted for because it has to be earned, they would all be fired for such incompetance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte