Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

I was hoping this post was dead and would go away and never come back, LOL.

I don't feel like debating more on this thread even tho your post has definitely made me want to write an epistle.

SIGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
holy thread revival, Batman!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
holy thread revival, Batman!
MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I know this is an old post, but I decided to "resurrect" it. I say that Charlotte is establishing a very cosmopolitan feel to it. It is not on par with New York (my birth place) but it is getting better. Some people say that Charlotte has lost its southern soul and charm to an extent as if this is a bad thing. I say losing a little bit of southern "charm" is a good thing for obvious reasons that I feel I should not have to name.

I am a product of an earlier round of New Yorkers that came to Charlotte before the rest. My mother moved here from Queens in the early 80s and I was raised in Charlotte as a result. Charlotte has done a complete turn around since the early 80s and for the better I say.

Many of the old timers in Charlotte seem to think that Charlotte is still a "small town" and still is a "church going society" that loves big yards and BBQ. Well there is a BBQ joint walking distance from my townhouse and a Japanese Hibachi right next door to the BBQ joint too. There are several Asian and Mexican food markets all over town, and the official second language (soon to be first language) of South Blvd between Woodlawn and Arrowood is Spanish. Just look at all of the businesses in this area that advertise in Spanish. Many areas of the East side and North Tryon are the same way. Indian,Thai, and Vietnamese cuisine can be found all over town. I see these types of restaurants more than I do the BBQ joints.

In short, Charlotte is without a doubt gaining a cosmopolitan feel to it. The fact that minorities seem to be coming to Charlotte faster than whites (no offense to whites intended. I am black and married to a beautiful white girl) and interacial dating is very popular in many parts of town, I think Charlotte is going to have a GREAT cosmopolitan future!!!
What Charlotte are you referencing. The Charlotte I see, has the more southern Charlotte than most cities in this part of the South. The old timers (rude) are going to complain regardless if the city is changing a lot or a little.

I'll say in another ten years Charlotte will be a city you can somewhat call cosmopolitan, as of right now it just has the feel in certain areas.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
It depends where you come from. If you move from NYC, Charlotte will seen like a backwood hillbilly country. But if you move here from a small town, then Charlotte is as cosmopolitan as NYC. To me is just Charlotte, no cosmopolitan city, no world class city, no hillbilly country, just Charlotte, a city that I like for its small town feel but with most of the amenities of a large cosmopolitan city. I guess it has the best of both worlds.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 AM

284 posts, read 606,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
What Charlotte are you referencing. The Charlotte I see, has the more southern Charlotte than most cities in this part of the South. The old timers (rude) are going to complain regardless if the city is changing a lot or a little.
By "old-timers" are you referring to people who were born and raised here or have lived here a long time? I ask because as a newcomer of about three years, I can say that the "old-timers" I have met have been extremely kind and accomodating. Look at this board's own Ani, who seems to be one of the most sensible, considerate and friendly people around, yet has lived here a large portion of her life.

Sorry, I just tend to hate generalizations, especially when they're generally incorrect.

Last edited by Gator803; 11-13-2008 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Too dumb to master quote function.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
By "old-timers" are you referring to people who were born and raised here or have lived here a long time? I ask because as a newcomer of about three years, I can say that the "old-timers" I have met have been extremely kind and accomodating. Look at this board's own Ani, who seems to be one of the most sensible, considerate and friendly people around, yet has lived here a large portion of her life.

Sorry, I just tend to hate generalizations, especially when they're generally incorrect.
Thanx for the kind words, Gator . . . this subject - about CLT being cosmopolitan - has been beaten into the ground. I do think some people interpret my remarks (and those of other natives) as being rude at times, b/c we probably come across - on this subject, especially - as somewhat prickly.

The truth is - who cares if Charlotte is cosmopolitan or not. It all depends on what you mean. That is like the other threads on whether CLT is liberal or progressive. Good grief. There are many tiers to "liberal" and to "progressive." There is fiscal liberalism as opposed to social liberalism.

Same for CLT being cosmopolitan. Yes, we have people living here from all over the world . . . yes, we have diverse neighborhoods. Etc. Etc.

I think what most people need to know about CLT is . . . you can have whatever life you want here, w/in certain restrictions. We don't have dozens of nightlife hotspots that stay open all nite, so if that is what makes a city "cosmopolitan," you won't find it here. This is not NYC, the City that Never Sleeps. We sleep here.

If you want Berkeley, you won't really find it here. If you want San Francisco, you won't really find it here. If you want Seattle, you won't really find it here. However, you can find bits and pieces. If you want London and/or NYC . . . move to London and/or NYC.

The main thing most newcomers don't "see" about CLT is . . . the bulk of socializing that goes on in this city is in homes, private clubs, church groups and w/ friends getting together. People who have the same interests find each other and then hang out together, be it in neighborhoods w/ back yard BBQs or be it in condos uptown or at someone's social club, church group, etc. There are also groups of people who get together and head to other cities (such as ATL) to see concerts or to party. So what goes on in CLT is often NOT visible to the casual eye.

Charlotte is what we all make it. Whatever you bring, then that is what is here. If you bring a good attitude, then that will increase the "kindness" factor . . . and no demographer can measure those types of intangible things. Regardless of where you hail from originally - be it another part of the USA or from another country - CLT is what we all make it. Attitudes are everything.

If you want something here and can't find it - create it. You want to celebrate your ethnic heritage and you feel no one is recognizing you? Get busy and start a festival. Life is what you make it. Don't wait for someone to hand you a life. Find what you want or make something new . . . but quit complaining or disparaging others b/c you haven't found exactly what it is you want here in Charlotte, NC. It is not up to those who have lived here for generations to twist themselves into a pretzel so you can find your comfort zone.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
ani - stop hating on the northerners. =P

Besides my life getting completely turned upside down, it's threads like these that contributed to keeping me away from here - might as well draw a circle on the wall and beat your forehead against it repeatedly. Took a nice ani rant to get me to post again.

Overall, Charlotte is clearly making a turn towards the Left, which is typically the "Cosmopolitan" side. So, "YES! - CHARLOTTE IS COSMOPOLITAN!".

Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
ani - stop hating on the northerners. =P

Besides my life getting completely turned upside down, it's threads like these that contributed to keeping me away from here - might as well draw a circle on the wall and beat your forehead against it repeatedly. Took a nice ani rant to get me to post again.

Overall, Charlotte is clearly making a turn towards the Left, which is typically the "Cosmopolitan" side. So, "YES! - CHARLOTTE IS COSMOPOLITAN!".
Mikey - surely you jest? hating on northerners? I am married to a yankee and most of my friends are yankees, LOL!!!!!

Tell us what we can do to make your life here better, Mikey. And please keep posting. People here can provide lots of info to help you find whatever it is you want in this region, cosmopolitan or not, Hee Hee.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mikey - surely you jest? hating on northerners? I am married to a yankee and most of my friends are yankees, LOL!!!!!

Tell us what we can do to make your life here better, Mikey. And please keep posting. People here can provide lots of info to help you find whatever it is you want in this region, cosmopolitan or not, Hee Hee.
I do jest big-time and saddened you don't remember me... =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte