Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Faith that the irs will always "get" their
man and faith that churches or cults will be exposed from the inside and
outsiders not having any responsibility to question is kind of naïve .

Scientology comes to mind as a "church" that could use a closer
look from all of us, how about the cult that moved their
followers to South America and convinced them to drink tainted cool aid?
I am listening to sermons on Elevations website right now and there ain't nothing "cult" or "weird" about what is being preached. What I am hearing is firmly based on Scripture.

SO I maintain that there is a lot of speculation, rumors and misinformation being circulated . . . and I am concerned that other Christians would be so quick to label this church as a "cult."

I don't need to write about this any further, as it seems folks are aiming their anger towards me when all I am doing is what each of you would hope that someone would do for you should you be accused of wrong-doing. People are not guilty until a verdict is rendered and it isn't as though this man and this church are even on trial for anything, other than in the court of public opinion . . . and I still maintain, unless there is something fraudulent going on . . . this is looking like a witch hunt to me, based on Furtick buying some land and building a big (ostentatious) house.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
He was, you are right. He still is. However, churches should make sure their ministers and their families do not have to suffer b/c of their service to the church and community. That ain't right, either. Things have changed . . . when I was a child, ministers (in my denomination) never owned homes -- they simply got a reduced salary b/c they were living "rent free" in parsonages. This made it impossible for ministers to ever own their own home where they could live in retirement.
A generous middle class salary of $50-60K should be more than enough.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
He was, you are right. He still is. However, churches should make sure their ministers and their families do not have to suffer b/c of their service to the church and community. That ain't right, either. Things have changed . . . when I was a child, ministers (in my denomination) never owned homes -- they simply got a reduced salary b/c they were living "rent free" in parsonages. This made it impossible for ministers to ever own their own home where they could live in retirement.
How true! I have known clergy in many denominations that were just a couple of steps above the poverty line and had little-to-nothing in their "not-so-golden" years! It just frosts me when I read about the "largess" of some holier-than-thou folks. How many Rolls-Royces does Creflo Dollar really need? I guess we all will be "known by our deeds" in the end.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Before I push the keyboard away . . . here's the link to sermons . . . and this was a wonderful sermon. I can see why folks are drawn to this style of ministry, especially young people.

Elevation Church - Turn Off the Dark

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
Quote:
I am listening to sermons on Elevations website right now and there ain't nothing "cult" or "weird" about what is being preached. What I am hearing is firmly based on Scripture.

SO I maintain that there is a lot of speculation, rumors and misinformation being circulated . . . and I am concerned that other Christians would be so quick to label this church as a "cult."

I don't need to write about this any further, as it seems folks are aiming their anger towards me when all I am doing is what each of you would hope that someone would do for you should you be accused of wrong-doing. People are not guilty until a verdict is rendered and it isn't as though this man and this church are even on trial for anything, other than in the court of public opinion . . . and I still maintain, unless there is something fraudulent going on . . . this is looking like a witch hunt to me, based on Furtick buying some land and building a big (ostentatious) house.

well I am not Christian , I did however never write that Elevation church is a cult
but used both the church and cult reference to point out that there is nothing wrong
with a closer look at some of these churches and cults.

no need to take the discussion personally ,on City Data that is all it is anyway , a discussion.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I just googled him to post the link to a friend of mine. And wow, it has blown up all over the news and sites and other forums....

Yeah it's a PR nightmare right now for Elevation.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM

And as for the music . . . oh my. I felt it!

Very surprising.

"Give Me Faith" - ELEVATION WORSHIP - YouTube

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
And as for the music . . . oh my. I felt it!

Very surprising.

"Give Me Faith" - ELEVATION WORSHIP - YouTube
One of the mom friends I told you about gave me a CD of their music. It's truly done very well.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,194 times
I have been reading all of this and I have to reply. I know I will get beaten up about it, but I don't care. I attend Elevation Church. Not regularly, but it is the one non-denominational church in Charlotte that we have been to that we like. We have gone to many non-denominational churches in the past in Florida. Most of them are split from Baptist churches. Elevation is no different than any of the other churches that we have attended, except for it's size and the broadcast to other locations.

Pastor Furtick preaches stories from the Bible and parallels them to our lives now. This is how our other Pastors preached. We have been to a couple of non-denominational churches in the area that didn't even open a Bible or have one out. We haven't been for a couple of months because of issues out of state with family, but the last time we went was the first time they have ever taken up an offering that we have attended. There are kiosk in the lobby to make offerings if you want to. I don't even think I have ever heard him ask for money anytime that we have gone. They do show videos of all of the good things the church has done for different organizations in the Charlotte area. It's amazing what they have done. It is the first church we have gone to that our sons, ages 10 and 15 actually want to go and don't want to go to children's church, they want to go in with us.

Until it's proven that he has done something immoral or illegal, I will still attend. I don't feel that I've been taken in by a "cult" and I have never heard him preach about wealth or being wealthy making you a better person. His beginnings were humble and he shares his life experiences.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM

533 posts, read 936,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
it's a PR nightmare right now for Elevation.
Yes it is. And it's not even gone national yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte