Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Bingo. My church has between 75 to 100 choir members, and and 15 to 20 musicians on a given week. Guess what they are all unpaid.
Mine, too. Plus a bell choir. And a choral group.

Of course, we don't take in $20 million a year so we could never afford to have a service like Elevation has.

We just have a pulpit and loudspeaker.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
If you are the preacher and pretending that using that money is somehow separate from your position as preacher, then it's at the very least unethical and slimy. It's kind of like the professor who sells his own textbooks to his class. Most universities have ethical clauses that require professors to put the money they make from sales at their institutions back into scholarship funds, etc.
I understand what you are saying about the sale of textbook to students when the textbook has been written by that professor . . . but I don't get how that relates to material that is purchased without coercion (or requirement) by church members.

It's not as though folks are told . . . you can't attend til you buy the pastor's book.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Oh, I forgot to add to my earlier post about music at my church.

We just have a pulpit and a loudspeaker and we have an all volunteer adult choir and junior choir. And volunteer bells.

And we are losing membership to Elevation. Cause folks really like their music.

After viewing some of it today, I can see why. Their music is fantastic and from what I read, much of it is written by personnel who work for the church. (I hope I understood that correctly - not trying to misrepresent anything).

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I understand what you are saying about the sale of textbook to students when the textbook has been written by that professor . . . but I don't get how that relates to material that is purchased without coercion (or requirement) by church members.

It's not as though folks are told . . . you can't attend til you buy the pastor's book.
Using the pulpit as a sales vehicle is slimy. I would think most reasonable people would agree on that.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This church appears to reach out to the disenfranchised, in particular (as they refer to their mission to reach those FAR from the church - and I read that as - disenfranchised, alienated . . . possibly folks who have been ignored or castigated by other churches (i.e, gay folks, transgender individuals, divorced, druggies, etc).
Most churches now a days reach out to everyone. And most will herd and parade a dozen purple dancing zebras on stage if it meant bringing people in to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. You ask anyone who serves in a local church and they will tell you the mission field is right here in front of them, not in some third world country like on TV...

The main difference here is Pastor Steven. This is the topic at hand. While I know he does many good things and brings people to Christ, the argument remains - is he is doing so for the "fortune and fame" or for the glory of God?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Most churches now a days reach out to everyone. And most will herd and parade a dozen purple dancing zebras on stage if it meant bringing people in to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. You ask anyone who serves in a local church and they will tell you the mission field is right here in front of them, not in some third world country like on TV...

The main difference here is Pastor Steven. This is the topic at hand. While I know he does many good things and brings people to Christ, the argument remains - is he is doing so for the "fortune and fame" or for the glory of God?
Hee Hee Hee. Purple dancing zebras. (seriously thinking how that would look on camera, lol)

God knows what is in Furtick's heart. You don't. I don't. I can say this . . . his ministry has mushroomed. That doesn't happen without damn hard work and commitment. No one, regardless of what their motives, can make something that big that fast without eating, sleeping and breathing the project at hand.

Establishing a church is HARD. I watched my dad do missionary and evangelism work and it was 24/7. You can't clock out. Someone's sick, someone's dead, someone's in a wreck, someone's having a baby, someone's in jail, someone's struggling with private demons. It is a lonely, difficult, time consuming job.

Furtick established this church and guided it to 7 campuses (at least - maybe more -I forget). If he has done that all for glory of self, there had to be easier ways to make enough money to buy The Big House. Elevation Rug and Carpet. Elevation Porsche and Mercedes Benz. Elevation Gym. But going into a church expecting to make it a big money maker and become the next Deepak Chopra of Mega Churches? I don't think so.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
There is no argument. That is the Father's domain not ours. What fruit are born here?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm glad you pointed this out. My church has this thing called a "vestry" and they do things like hire priests in secret and they don't let us vote for salary. Obviously I need an intervention to get out of this cult.
Better let the Anglicans, Episcopalians and Lutherans know they are in a cult now.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Using the pulpit as a sales vehicle is slimy. I would think most reasonable people would agree on that.
Unless he is getting up every week and holding up a copy of his book and telling folks - "Buy my book; I guarantee it will get you into heaven," and after every service, he sits down at a table for a book signing . . . I don't get how he is using his pulpit as a sales vehicle.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 PM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There is no argument. That is the Father's domain not ours. What fruit are born here?
When the local media goes mainstream because your planning to build a house the size of Elvis Presley's there is most certainly an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte