Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times

Advertisements

Where do you fly? I have a Phantom Vision and although I have found no problem finding places to fly, it might be fun to be around other like minded enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM

8 posts, read 11,488 times
We fly where we can..lol For instance, this weekend we found a huge neighborhood that was just in the beginning stages of being built and we went in the morning on Sunday. Several of the guys in the group are very experienced and fly fixed wing as well as quadcopters, but they all like to fly FPV with video goggles and chase each other. We are talking about starting to make it all very interesting by attaching streamers so we can see each other better while chasing or just flying around.

We have grand plans for where we fly as well, things like trips up to chimney rock and other scenic places to explore, but for now (I am still learning as you are) we just fly in open areas away from the public and property. We are pretty spread out throughout the south charlotte area, but welcome anyone who wants to fly or just check it out to join us.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
Curious as to what the price is for one of these? I am in the area and would love to get one and fly with a group.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM

JayFlyer, there is a wide variety of pricing. There are several DJI Phantom models available ranging from $500 to $1200. There are other brands such as the Blade 350QX, Walkera X350, which are nice too. These have GPS control which help with flying but not necessary. It's a great feature though. There are smaller quads out there too. I also have a Blade 180QX which is really fun to fly. The RTF version (ready to fly) runs about $169. It even has a decent HD camera attached to it for video or snapshots while flying. It's a fun hobby and it's really becoming very popular right now, especially for photographers who like to get those never-before-seen views (similar to some of the ones I posted above). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I watched a ton of You Tube videos and read reviews which helps a lot.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 PM

Before you spend a dime, come out and see the diverse collection of different quads we all fly and take the controls. See if you like just flying or if you are into FPV flying with goggles. Great group of guys and lots of different styles. We fly for fun and there is everything from 300-3500 dollar quads there.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

533 posts, read 936,167 times

Quadcopter rocket launch - YouTube

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM

Wow... we actually just fly the quads for fun, but that looks cool too.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Interesting! It was nice to take a ride from the rockets perspective. People are thinking up more and more creative ways to use their quads. So far, I just fly for fun but really enjoy the aerial photo/video aspect more than anything. Still waiting for that magic location shoot.....C'mon warm weather!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 14,671 times
Hi,
I live near Ballantyne (Charlotte, Pineville area, not far from Fort Mill SC) and am very interested in learning more about quad and octocopters and possibly breaking into the hobby. Is there a group in Charlotte or anyone here that would mind a shadow? (Lake Wylie is good too.)

Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,671 times
Default Interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFlyer View Post
Hi everyone. Found this thread and am wondering if there is anyone who flys quadcopters, or even people that are interested in it that might want to come out and see a bunch of people fly. We have a group and if there is interested I will post where we fly next and you can come fly with us or simply drop by and watch... maybe someone will pass you the controls.. really easy to do to be honest.

Let me know on here.

Hi,
I would be very interested and have too much free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte