Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Welcome aboard!

I don't think there's any one person that could broker anything at the moment. It's a collective mess, to be honest. The 2014-2015 change seems to be set in stone at this point, so the best hope is to improve relations for the next few years. If they really got the towns, BOCC and BOE to partner together and collectively plan and forecast growth, that would be a start. Even better would be some controlled growth ensuring both schools and roads, traffic lights, etc were staying ahead or keeping up closely with the growth.

Any compromise that could have occurred this year went south from the start by the stance from both the BOE and the protesters, and then attacks from the CAPS side. The compromise ship officially sailed away (or should I say walked off the stage) when they had their chance during the vote.
Ya think? So agree with this. There also has to be a more comprehensive plan to raise revenues by raising corp contirbutions to the overall tax base....we are 85% (do I have that right?) residential. That is unsustainable. Then it becomes a NIMBY issues and gets ugly again. Vicious circle.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 AM

149 posts, read 535,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I have to disagree a bit RM. I think Lance has the least political experience (a plus for me) he has planning and especially sewer(I know that sounds weird) experience that may benefit the county. I also think he may be the one in "three" that will really learn the issues...that may be where it gets ugly and political but of the "three" I think we got the best. Now, if his wife controls him like my wife controls me...we are in BIG trouble

Ok, as a woman I did NOT want to go there, hahah. But I must admit, the wife was what made me wary of Lance. I do agree, his work experience was a big plus.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
I have to disagree a bit RM. I think Lance has the least political experience (a plus for me) he has planning and especially sewer(I know that sounds weird) experience that may benefit the county. I also think he may be the one in "three" that will really learn the issues...that may be where it gets ugly and political but of the "three" I think we got the best. Now, if his wife controls him like my wife controls me...we are in BIG trouble
I hate to say it but I think it was because he was the only male out of the three. T & K were much stronger candidates. I also think some Union County people who were uninformed saw the familiar Union County name "Simpson" and voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson005 View Post
That is the only thing that worries me.
Me too.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
Ok, as a woman I did NOT want to go there, hahah. But I must admit, the wife was what made me wary of Lance. I do agree, his work experience was a big plus.
Oops. I had no idea. My apologies. I really don't know who is male/female on here. Coulda been "Ralph Maria" for all I know

Nonetheless...I'm scared of my wife (and she's much smarter that I am...much!). As long as I recognize that I'll be fine

Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
The big factor for the "3" will be determining how well they think their base will turn out for a summer vote. Can they rally enough to even have a chance?

The way I understand it, there are 3 options they can take:
  1. Do nothing. Let the vote stand as is.
  2. Kim AND Tracy request a revote. Then Lance, Stoney, Kim and Tracy would have a runoff for 2 spots. They are still guaranteed 1 seat, but could they push out Stoney? If they take this path, their best bet is to really only promote 2 candidates and hope there aren't accidental votes for the 3rd.
  3. Kim OR Tracy request a runoff (just one). Lance would be safe it would be a two way runoff between Stoney and _____ for the last seat.
Lots of strategy behind those decisions I'm sure.

I've heard both June and July dates for a runoff, so not sure what's official yet.
I really don't see how Tracy can request a runoff after having said she had no interest serving on the BOCC without having the majority. I think we will see this news clip a lot over the next few weeks if she does request a runoff. I would pick #3 with Kim if I was their handler.

Union County Commissioners race heats up - myfoxcarolinas.com

Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Ya think? So agree with this. There also has to be a more comprehensive plan to raise revenues by raising corp contirbutions to the overall tax base....we are 85% (do I have that right?) residential. That is unsustainable. Then it becomes a NIMBY issues and gets ugly again. Vicious circle.
NIMBY commercial development? Say it isn't so.....

https://www.facebook.com/ReaTomShortNeighbors

Ironically, the person behind this page was very vocal for support of the "3."

You are spot on with the commercial growth needed to help fund the county. We need a more balanced tax base especially on the far west side. Personally, I think this looks like a great concept and would be a win for UC. Perhaps the size is a bit too big for the plot, but the potential is there if they can bring in some good restaurants, shops, etc. So many people drive right across the border to Blakeney. This would keep many in UC. (oh, and that space would not be occupied by more houses and snowflakes)

Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM

46 posts, read 68,686 times
I agree that the BOCC election was just the beginning of a broader plan and the loss of this election was really the downfall of the whole scheme. How it appeared to me was that they get the majority on the BOCC. They put up their candidates for BOE, who will likely win. They then control the BOCC and the BOE. Then CAPS and their PAB get thrown into the mix. Has anyone looked at that plan? Now you have a small group of people controlling the entire county, led by one or a few puppet masters. That's too much progressive think tank for me.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM

18 posts, read 22,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspy View Post
I agree that the BOCC election was just the beginning of a broader plan and the loss of this election was really the downfall of the whole scheme. How it appeared to me was that they get the majority on the BOCC. They put up their candidates for BOE, who will likely win. They then control the BOCC and the BOE. Then CAPS and their PAB get thrown into the mix. Has anyone looked at that plan? Now you have a small group of people controlling the entire county, led by one or a few puppet masters. That's too much progressive think tank for me.
Will the same "puppet masters" run a slate for the BOE in your opinion as I believe the majority of the seats are up this November? And given the May results, do you think they could sweep all of the seats in November?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Will the same "puppet masters" run a slate for the BOE in your opinion as I believe the majority of the seats are up this November? And given the May results, do you think they could sweep all of the seats in November?
I know you weren't asking me, but no.

District 1-No
District 3-Maybe
District 4-No
District 6-Yes
At-Large-Maybe [But not (United) guy. It really depends on if people have an alternative option.]

All five? No way.

https://boe.ucps.k12.nc.us/districtmap.php
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/..._Locations.pdf

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 05-08-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM

46 posts, read 68,686 times
Quote:
Yes, I think they have 5 people ready to go, but it's too soon to tell if they can sweep it. It all depends on who they put up and how they choose to campaign. The vote for 3 strategy failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte