Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 AM

149 posts, read 535,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Had to laugh that only Lance Simpson got elected among the Gang of 3. Poor Tracy Kuehler and Kim Ormiston, if their last names had only been "Helms" or "Simpson", they would have rolled into office too!
I wonder if he's a bit shellshocked at this point. Although he seems like a nice man, he was the least qualified of the 3 I thought.
I am anxious to see if they call for a run off! Although the Majority campaign they ran on is no longer possible, it would be nice to see more diversity on the board.
Really , I dont see how either Tracy or Kim can beat Stony in a run off. It will basically be a 'maybe trade places with Lance" election.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
I wonder if he's a bit shellshocked at this point. Although he seems like a nice man, he was the least qualified of the 3 I thought.
I am anxious to see if they call for a run off! Although the Majority campaign they ran on is no longer possible, it would be nice to see more diversity on the board.
Really , I dont see how either Tracy or Kim can beat Stony in a run off. It will basically be a 'maybe trade places with Lance" election.
I have to disagree a bit RM. I think Lance has the least political experience (a plus for me) he has planning and especially sewer(I know that sounds weird) experience that may benefit the county. I also think he may be the one in "three" that will really learn the issues...that may be where it gets ugly and political but of the "three" I think we got the best. Now, if his wife controls him like my wife controls me...we are in BIG trouble

Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawnewbie View Post
New to the area - first time posting. In this redistricting thing it looks like the redistricting crowd has some valid points and CAPS has some valid points, and both seem pretty passionate (and rightly so). Isn't it possible that both have been misled (and manipulated) by the powers that be to some extent? Sure looks like this whole mess is to further some broader agenda of someone in control. Is there anyone that can reach out and bring the extremes together?
Good morning. Welcome to the sturm und drang that is Union County Schools You nailed it on passion from all sides and all driven by different agendas. I'm intrigued by your "broader agenda" comment...what do you see? You seem to have a theory...whatcha' thinkin'?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM

18 posts, read 22,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Now, if his wife controls him like my wife controls me...we are in BIG trouble
That is the only thing that worries me.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
No...I think sunshine is referring to something other than the cake with a hole in it. Who can resist it though?
Yah Sunshine's Marvin mom comment is referring to jlat outing cc0789 at a BOE meeting (which I'm pretty sure you were at)... It's tough losing your screenname unexpectedly and it becomes real rather fast - makes for some extra juicy drama. I believe cc was "fearing for her life" at one point. lol - I think we need to move past that already. It's pretty obvious by now to those looking through the discovery that cc wasn't the only redistricting supporter.

My problem with Maher is how he continues to appear to ride the fence with the kool aid krowd and not separate himself from it completely - especially when he gave life to it via his (United) site. A person like Watson (aka Mastiff guy) left to post ridiculous comments is something I can't shake. He waited way too long to make it private.

Unless something changes it looks to me that Maher is headed to be a microcosm of the GOP's national platform issues and just like we won't see a GOP POTUS in 2016, Maher won't win a county wide seat in November. He should have run for Savage's district seat - heck I would have campaigned for him. Just like Hodges got a wake-up call with her vote count I hope Marce does too this November...

Lance was my last choice of the 3... well somewhere tied with Tracy I guess. Kim would have been a better choice for the county IMO. I guess we will see.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 AM

12 posts, read 16,975 times
Raithfan, thanks for the welcome. What a mess, but that's gonna happen any time you involve the kids. I wish I knew what this thing was really about, but it has to be future development. Get everyone all riled up now and they'll approve anything later. We'll know what the deal really was when the big new projects are announced later. I added some to my first post - seems like someone from the east could broker a deal here, if this is between Marvin and Weddington to the West and Wesley Chapel in the middle.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 16,975 times
Not that I know much, I thought that Kim looked best of that trio too.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
The big factor for the "3" will be determining how well they think their base will turn out for a summer vote. Can they rally enough to even have a chance?

The way I understand it, there are 3 options they can take:
  1. Do nothing. Let the vote stand as is.
  2. Kim AND Tracy request a revote. Then Lance, Stoney, Kim and Tracy would have a runoff for 2 spots. They are still guaranteed 1 seat, but could they push out Stoney? If they take this path, their best bet is to really only promote 2 candidates and hope there aren't accidental votes for the 3rd.
  3. Kim OR Tracy request a runoff (just one). Lance would be safe it would be a two way runoff between Stoney and _____ for the last seat.

Lots of strategy behind those decisions I'm sure.

I've heard both June and July dates for a runoff, so not sure what's official yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Raithfan, thanks for the welcome. What a mess, but that's gonna happen any time you involve the kids. I wish I knew what this thing was really about, but it has to be future development. Get everyone all riled up now and they'll approve anything later. We'll know what the deal really was when the big new projects are announced later. I added some to my first post - seems like someone from the east could broker a deal here, if this is between Marvin and Weddington to the West and Wesley Chapel in the middle.
I absolutely agree that their are nefarious "behind the curtain" players with alterior motives. I do. I'm still trying to wend my way through all of that. It is still rather Dukes of Hazzard but I think ANY county with explosive growth has greed issues and knowing who will/won't benefit is the hard part. I also think there are deeper political motives at play....it's ugly on all sides. Some trying to keep, others trying to take...
Newbie...What kind of deal do you mean? Btw Developers? Political?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
New to the area - first time posting. In this redistricting thing it looks like the redistricting crowd has some valid points and CAPS has some valid points, and both seem pretty passionate (and rightly so). Isn't it possible that both have been misled (and manipulated) by the powers that be to some extent? Sure looks like this whole mess is to further some broader agenda of someone in control. Is there anyone that can reach out and bring the extremes together? If Wesley Chapel is the baloney that got cut up for the benefit of the areas west of it, maybe somebody with some juice from the east?
Welcome aboard!

I don't think there's any one person that could broker anything at the moment. It's a collective mess, to be honest. The 2014-2015 change seems to be set in stone at this point, so the best hope is to improve relations for the next few years. If they really got the towns, BOCC and BOE to partner together and collectively plan and forecast growth, that would be a start. Even better would be some controlled growth ensuring both schools and roads, traffic lights, etc were staying ahead or keeping up closely with the growth.

Any compromise that could have occurred this year went south from the start by the stance from both the BOE and the protesters, and then attacks from the CAPS side. The compromise ship officially sailed away (or should I say walked off the stage) when they had their chance during the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte